Join Early Retirement Today

Viking Cookware
Old 08-11-2006, 03:53 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Viking Cookware

Does anyone have Viking cookware? I want to order a 3 quart saucepan, but it carries a hefty pricetag and I want to make sure it's worth it. Also - will it go into the oven?
I don't want a non-stick or all clad (I don't like those circles in the bottom of the pan and I want to make sure that it can go into the oven.
Thanks
Michelle
virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Viking Cookware
Old 08-11-2006, 05:24 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

We're also All-Clad users. The All-Clad goes in the oven sometimes but usually we use pyrex or Le Creuset for baking.

DW is big into cooking - lucky for me - and has been very happy with All-Clad and Le Creuset. They're a bit pricey but at least it should be a "one time" expense. That cookware will probably outlive us.

Sorry I don't know anything about Viking though.
SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:11 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc
DW is big into cooking - lucky for me - and has been very happy with All-Clad and Le Creuset. They're a bit pricey but at least it should be a "one time" expense. That cookware will probably outlive us.
For about ten years I was a big bean cooker. I used a 4 quart (or 4 liter) casserole to boil them, and also a smaller one. The acid in the beans eventually destroyed the enamel on the inside bottoms of both pans, even though I took pains to avoid sticking the beans. I took them to the shop (Sur La Table in Seattle), and they cheerfully replaced them for me, even though it had been a long time since I bought them, and the same styles were not even made any longer.

I guess by lifetime guarantee, they mean lifetime guarantee.

Speaking of pyrex, I like it but I have trouble getting the glass clean after baking something in the oven.

Ha
Old 08-11-2006, 06:20 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

No this would be my first of good cookware - as far as pots and pans. I have a set that's lasted for about 5 years, some nonstick stuff, but it's starting to get old and I want to start buying some better pieces that will last.
Also - what do you think about copper cookware?
Old 08-11-2006, 06:36 PM   #5

Well Michelle, I can tell you that All-Clad Cookware is pretty good stuff! - We have had ours for 10 years and it still looks and functions like it's brand new. We clean it with this powder called Bar Keepers Friend. Keeps it looking new.

That is what I'd buy today, if I had to do it again.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:39 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We got a whole set of All Clad as wedding gifts and 90% of it is still in the closet (boxed)

I still use my old Calphalon. It goes into the oven almost every day without any problems

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:00 PM   #7

If you are a Sam's member you cannot beat this for the price:

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=336189

I have this set and it is awesome, it's All-Clad quality for a fraction of the price. It heats evenly and quickly, has good sear and release, and cleans up without a problem. The pans are solidly built and will last a long time. I could care less about the utensils they throw in there but the hardware is top quality. Normally I am skeptical of private label goods (Member's Mark is Sam's brand) but this is the real deal. Cannot recommend it highly enough for the price.

For bakeware, there is no doubt that Le Creuset is high quality, but it is way overpriced because the yuppies have latched onto it as a status symbol. If you are interested in cooking (rather than just buying status symbols for your kitchen) there are much better values to be had at a fraction of the price.
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:11 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks Soupxcan - I may actually get that set. It looks and is described very much like that Viking - except I could get a whole set for the price of one pan!
Old 08-11-2006, 10:51 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Now WHERE ELSE could you get good advice like this, eh?
Old 08-12-2006, 06:35 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan
For bakeware, there is no doubt that Le Creuset is high quality, but it is way overpriced because the yuppies have latched onto it as a status symbol. If you are interested in cooking (rather than just buying status symbols for your kitchen) there are much better values to be had at a fraction of the price.
I wouldn't doubt that. All our Le Creuset pieces were "last year's colors" or whatever was most heavily discounted at the local outlet mall when we bought them five years ago. Full price for their stuff can be pretty steep.
SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 06:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc
I wouldn't doubt that. All our Le Creuset pieces were "last year's colors" or whatever was most heavily discounted at the local outlet mall when we bought them five years ago. Full price for their stuff can be pretty steep.
I can one up you on that. Most of our Le Creuset pieces came from garage sales. Around here you can rest assured you will find at least one or 2 pieces in the $2 pile at any garage sale.

saluki9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 07:45 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Soupcxan - have you ever put any of those pieces in the oven before?
Old 08-12-2006, 07:46 AM   #13

I'll share one other tip from when I bought my first set of stainless steel cookware (as opposed to nonstick) - the secret to keeping it looking good:

- get the pan hot before you add the oil/butter and let the fat come to temperature before you add the ingredients, that will keep it from sticking
- use a cleaning product called "Barkeeper's Friend" every once and a while

Having said that, I still keep a good non-stick pan around (Caphalon) for cooking eggs.

Oh, and I've had no problem using the Sam's Club set in the oven to finish a dish under the broiler.
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 08:18 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks Soupcxan - it's my next "major" purchase I really appreciate the good advice.