Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 06:51 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
imoldernu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Peru
Posts: 4,616
Probably off topic, but a stirred remembrance
My brother worked for Bose on Rte 128 outside Boston from the mid 1970'3 until the early 1980's. He was one of the creative group that devised the bookshelf speaker, and later on became head of the group that developed the earphone systems for the airlines and educational cubes (mobile training centers used around the world for many years).
In the late 70's he took me on a tour of the audio testing module that was much like a very large globe water tower, a hollow orb, filled with sound deadening materials hanging at all angles to stop any and all sound, keeping it from bouncing. In the very center of the 50 foot? globe was a single walkway to allow for speaker equipment to be tested in the center, with sensors at a hundred points on the interior globe wall.
Perhaps the eeriest feeling ever, to walk out on this skeleton ramp, talking to the other person, and not hearing your own voice.
We shared the evolving speakers and then the amplifiers for many years... sans the final cabinets. My old Cadillac SLS has a Bose system, and some days I'll sit in the car and listen to my Sarah Brightman collection. Wonderful sound.
Just gave away some of the large speakers this past year... (with cabinets).
We still have one of the very first transistor-only amps.
Memories... yeah... at my grandmothers house in the early 40's... she still had a cat's whisker radio.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pericaud2profd.jpg (18.2 KB, 6 views)
__________________

__________________
Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again. - Eleanor Roosevelt
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #22
Administrator
Gumby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Had to do pretty similar on the SX720 + a little deoxit on the various pots and switches.

Jealous, you got it cheaper.
Those old walnut-cased, brushed aluminum face Pioneer receivers are built like battleships, aren't they? When I compare them it to the black plastic crap available today, I wonder what happened.
__________________

__________________
Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Htown Harry's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Memories... yeah... at my grandmothers house in the early 40's... she still had a cat's whisker radio.
I'm youngernu, so I had to look that one up.Cat's-whisker detector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Was your grandmother's radio a portable?

__________________
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:27 AM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.
Tyro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Upstate
Posts: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
.... a hollow orb, filled with sound deadening materials hanging at all angles to stop any and all sound, keeping it from bouncing. In the very center of the 50 foot? globe was a single walkway to allow for speaker equipment to be tested in the center, with sensors at a hundred points on the interior globe wall.
Visions of Cerebro/Cerebra...?

__________________
Yeah well, that's just, ya know, like, your opinion, man. ~ The Dude
Tyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:17 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Midpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 11,978
Jeez, now youse guys are making me wonder if I should sell the SX-750 at all? But we use it about 2-3 times/year (hooked into the TV, but we only turn it on for some concerts or movies), so not sure what I'd do with it other than let it appreciate more in value.

Guess I shoulda kept the Dynaco (SCA-80?) I built from a kit in college before I upgraded to the Pioneer...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dynaco_sca-80q.jpg (12.1 KB, 112 views)
__________________
No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DFW_M5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Jeez, now youse guys are making me wonder if I should sell the SX-750 at all? But we use it about 2-3 times/year (hooked into the TV, but we only turn it on for some concerts or movies), so not sure what I'd do with it other than let it appreciate more in value.

Guess I shoulda kept the Dynaco (SCA-80?) I built from a kit in college before I upgraded to the Pioneer...
Geez Midpack, your really bringing back the memories of my PAT4 and ST120 which I built before college. Dyanaco also offered some pretty nice speakers which I never owned, but one of my buds did. I patronized a really nice stereo shop in Danbury, CT that offered a lot of great gear at a discount. I still have my Revox A77 tape recorder. I should check out ebay for that item.
__________________
Doing things today that others won't, to do things tomorrow that others can't. Of course I'm referring to workouts, not robbing banks.
DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:03 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Midpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 11,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Geez Midpack, your really bringing back the memories of my PAT4 and ST120 which I built before college. Dyanaco also offered some pretty nice speakers which I never owned, but one of my buds did. I patronized a really nice stereo shop in Danbury, CT that offered a lot of great gear at a discount. I still have my Revox A77 tape recorder. I should check out ebay for that item.
We lusted after the Revox A77, but alas only owned a Sony reel-to-reel hand me down from my Dad. Ah the good old days when we played albums only once to record them, then put them away for all time. And I sold about 130 albums for 33 each at a garage sale about 10 years ago...
__________________
No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
imoldernu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Peru
Posts: 4,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyro View Post
Visions of Cerebro/Cerebra...?
Yes... exactly!
Wow! I had never heard of that before, but the picture is deja vu all over again... if a little bit bigger than the Bose test center. A very spooky experience. I looked up Google Images for "Anechoic Chamber", and found test rooms, but not the Bose Globe. Mebbe the memory is failing.
...........................................
Gotta check my hoarders junk drawer for my old KLH amp.
__________________
Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again. - Eleanor Roosevelt
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #29
Administrator
Gumby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 10,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
We lusted after the Revox A77, but alas only owned a Sony reel-to-reel hand me down from my Dad. Ah the good old days when we played albums only once to record them, then put them away for all time. And I sold about 130 albums for 33 each at a garage sale about 10 years ago...
About three years ago, I gave all my LPs to a young woman who sang in the choir with me, after she told me that she had bought a turntable and was getting into vintage vinyl. They were in a sealed moving box that had remained unopened in my closet since about 1984, when I bought a CD player. I just pulled the box out of the closet and handed it to her without opening it first.

About a week later, when I saw her again, she said "Did you know you had Beatles records in there that had never been opened and were still in the original plastic wrap?" And then I remembered that, back in college, I had indeed bought some Beatles albums, only to find that the guy across the hall from me in the dorm already had them all. So I recorded his albums and left mine sealed.

I hope she got a good price for them.
__________________
Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #30
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Torrington
Posts: 1
I have the exact same unit put away.I paid about $325 back in 1982 if not mistaken.
__________________
Albarb48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Doing some decluttering and finally took apart our old stereo system, with the intent of throwing it all out. The 5-disc CD player is in the trash (worth $20-40). And the Advent speakers will go in the trash too.

But I looked on eBay and found Pioneer Stereo Receiver SX-750's like mine regularly sell for $100-180 after very active bidding! That's probably more than I paid for it around 1980! It's in excellent working and cosmetic shape, and I have the original manual, so I guess it'll go on eBay soon. It does weigh a ton compared to new electronics.

We're satisfied with our iPod and Bose dock - sadly our hearing ain't what it used to be. No idea what the appeal is with "vintage electronics," must be retro, amazing...
I'm still using my Original Large Advents (bought new in 1974). Wonderful speakers. In good condition they usually sell @ e-bay for $200-$300. If the surround on the woofers has cracked (it usually does by now) it costs about $30 to buy a kit to redo both. I hope the garbage truck doesn't crush them as they are something of a collectors item.
__________________
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:15 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Jeez, now youse guys are making me wonder if I should sell the SX-750 at all? But we use it about 2-3 times/year (hooked into the TV, but we only turn it on for some concerts or movies), so not sure what I'd do with it other than let it appreciate more in value.

Guess I shoulda kept the Dynaco (SCA-80?) I built from a kit in college before I upgraded to the Pioneer...
I built one of those too! great amp. Finally sold it on one of my overseas assignments. It's probably still blasting away some salsa or such in the Orinoco region of Venezuela
__________________
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:57 AM   #33
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Midpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 11,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
I'm still using my Original Large Advents (bought new in 1974). Wonderful speakers. In good condition they usually sell @ e-bay for $200-$300. If the surround on the woofers has cracked (it usually does by now) it costs about $30 to buy a kit to redo both. I hope the garbage truck doesn't crush them as they are something of a collectors item.
Mine are Advent 2002's, considered their bookshelf model IIRC, so not "large Advents." They sound good still, not used often and not often 'cranked up.' I took the grilles off and there are no (visible) cracks on woofers or tweeters. So they may have some value (saw 1 pair sold for $140 on eBay, though refoamed whatever that means), though they'd be a pain to ship to a buyer. Not sure what I'll do with them. Thanks for your insight...
__________________
No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #34
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Nodak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Cavalier
Posts: 2,317
If you don't want to tackle replacing the surrounds on woofers (re-foaming) most audio shops will do two woofers for about $75. It beats buying new speakers.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." Pogo Possum (Walt Kelly)
Nodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #35
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
jollystomper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,364
Thanks for this thread, I never thought my DJ equipment from the late 70s/early 80s might be worth something, particularly my Technics turntables. But I'm going to hold on to them as long as I still have my vinyl records (which I am converting to MP3 format).
__________________
Current target FIRE date: Under negotiation, can happen anytime.
jollystomper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:19 PM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
Thanks for this thread, I never thought my DJ equipment from the late 70s/early 80s might be worth something, particularly my Technics turntables. But I'm going to hold on to them as long as I still have my vinyl records (which I am converting to MP3 format).
If you going through the time/trouble to convert them, why not just convert to a loss-less format? Loss-less (I use FLAC), only takes ~ 5x the space of a decent mp3, and with the price of hard drives these days, that's nothing.

I suggest you keep a 'master' in loss-less, it is a snap to convert those masters to anything else if you want smaller files for a smaller capacity portable player. But if you try to convert a lossy file, every conversion will further degrade the quality.

-ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #37
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Nodak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Cavalier
Posts: 2,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
If you going through the time/trouble to convert them, why not just convert to a loss-less format? Loss-less (I use FLAC), only takes ~ 5x the space of a decent mp3, and with the price of hard drives these days, that's nothing.

I suggest you keep a 'master' in loss-less, it is a snap to convert those masters to anything else if you want smaller files for a smaller capacity portable player. But if you try to convert a lossy file, every conversion will further degrade the quality.

-ERD50
+1
__________________
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." Pogo Possum (Walt Kelly)
Nodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:15 PM   #38
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ls99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Those old walnut-cased, brushed aluminum face Pioneer receivers are built like battleships, aren't they? When I compare them it to the black plastic crap available today, I wonder what happened.
Yes they are, I'd never buy any of the modern stuff. Just a preference for the looks, and repairability, though only minor stuff to do. Same with my Realistic STA 2200 receiver amp. That one is 60W true RMS. per channel.

In both I did swap out the IF filters for narrower. As made the IFs were broad as a barn door. The change got rid of the SCA capability which I never used, on the plus side it eliminated adjacent channel interference. Though as I noted earlier the one station I liked switched to all politics all the time.

But there is hope. In Pittsburgh a group is planning to start a Jazz station. Initially they will be low power and only cover south and west of the city. In time they plan to increase ERP, maybe, with a monster Yagi or a Rhombic I'll be able to pull them in.

Hope springs eternal.
__________________
There must be moderation in everything, including moderation.
ls99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Midpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 11,978
FWIW, after listening to 'alls youses,' I didn't put anything on eBay after all. May end up there, but the equipment (other than the CD changer in the trash, I'm not fishing it out) looks better than it did before I started this thread. Too bad our ears probably can't appreciate sound quality like we used to, before all those LOUD rock concerts when we were younger...
__________________
No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:12 PM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
... (other than the CD changer in the trash, I'm not fishing it out) ...
You don't literally mean 'in the trash', do you? I hope people drop things like this off at a recycling center. Trashing it might even be illegal in many places.

-ERD50
__________________

__________________
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:05 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.