Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Speaking of vintage, and LPs, etc.

I found what I would call TRUE albums at my dad's house. Never knew they existed or that mom and dad had them. They are actually like photo albums. Nice leather covered books, and inside are "pages" of discs. These are 78's.

I'm thinking they may be worth something, and I'm actually into some of the stuff (one is Glenn Miller). Looking into getting a 78 stylus to play them at 45, then electronically up-speed and equalize later.

Anyone familiar with these actual record albums? Something like this:
I have some of those too, but nothing to play them on.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #62

Quote:
Sheesh... talk about feeling OLD! Until I was in high school, the 78's were all we had. Thus the word "album" as in photograph album. Our bookcases were designed to fit them.
The "78's" were made of different compounds... rubber, celluloid or other compound mixes and coated with a shellac compound that held the gooves.
"groovy"?... We knew the material as "wax". After WW2, the 78's were complimented by the 33's (33 1/3 rpm) bigger records and also longer playing.
In the early 50's, the 45 rpm singles were the big seller... singles, that were the ITune downloads of today. It's what you bought when you went downtown. It was around that time '45 to '50 that the records were made of vinyl...

There's a missing piece that not many people know about or remember, and that's "wire recording" ... the precursor to "tape recorders". the "wire" was actually a spool of wire that threaded from one spool to another, and not what some people think of as the "wire" antenna that is show in movies. My uncle who was a technology "geek" at the time had one in his car... as well as having one of the earliest televisions (a five inch tube, with a BIG magnifying glass), to watch the only TV show of the time, at 4PM to 6PM on Sunday ... WBZ in Boston... "Community Auditions".

Old 03-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #63

And of course there were the Edison recorders. Drums.

Photo of Edison with cylinder phonograph in 1878

Old 03-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Yes, I have a Glenn Miller set, but one disc is missing (presumed broken). They may have some value as collectors items, but they're not so great for listening. Remastered (and cleaned-up) recordings will sound far superior with much more fidelity and less noise.

Tyro
Old 03-14-2013, 06:07 PM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
There's a missing piece that not many people know about or remember, and that's "wire recording" ...
Unless we remember Hogan's Heroes. Couldn't find a still, but lots of references -- wire recording hogan's heroes - Google Search

Tyro
Old 03-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #66

My 28 year old son (not the one who sold the Tascam 388 that I posted about earlier) has a blog called Electric Thrift Electric Thrift | The joy of thrift store electronic finds. where he writes about his electronic finds at thrift stores. Sometimes it's about old computers or game systems but his latest one is about a Realistic TV-100 Stereo TV Receiver which was an amplifier and speakers to add stereo to your TV. The post includes a link to a 1985 Radio Shack catalog which was fun to flip through.

He also mentions my Akai amplifier that's connected to my computer.
http://electricthrift.files.wordpres...-r22_front.jpg

I have been following this Vintage Electronics topic and never noticed that my amplifier was so vintage! It was originally my Dad's when he upgraded to a fancy new stereo system, back in the day when he could hear music.

In the first picture of the blog about the TV-100 it's sitting on top of a Laserdisc player. It still works and he has picked up a few Laserdiscs along the way.

http://electricthrift.com/
Old 03-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Glad to see so many folks are into vintage audio, vinyl and tubes around here. I'm the proud owner a Prima Luna DiaLogue one integrated amp myself (based on the EL-34 tube, but it also accepts many other ones), plus a Pro-Ject RPM 5.1 SE 'table and Sonus faber speakers. Some (most!) people think I'm crazy for spending so much on these units, but every day, after work, I can simply not wait to go back home and detox from reality in front of the beautiful music this system produces...
Old 03-19-2013, 06:24 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff View Post
Glad to see so many folks are into vintage audio, vinyl and tubes around here. I'm the proud owner a Prima Luna DiaLogue one integrated amp myself (based on the EL-34 tube, but it also accepts many other ones), plus a Pro-Ject RPM 5.1 SE 'table and Sonus faber speakers. Some (most!) people think I'm crazy for spending so much on these units, but every day, after work, I can simply not wait to go back home and detox from reality in front of the beautiful music this system produces...
I understand you, Karloff! My Bottlehead amps are based off a 2a3. At 5 watts they sound wonderful! Preamp uses 12au7s. I think my phono pre uses 12ax7s. Lovely sound. My Oppo DVD/etc player is very nice. But the vinyl. Very, very nice.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:12 PM   #69

Tubes & Vinyl. Delicious!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 027.JPG (68.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 03-19-2013, 08:27 PM   #70
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

All I have is a tube guitar amp, 12ax7 and 6L6.

Different animal from hi-fi amps, but sweet!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote