Virginia Tech and the National Anthem

+1. Hello singing star/starlet: Wrap your head around this--the performance is not about YOU. ....

But this is also subjective.

In 1968, Jose' Feliciano's version was considered controversial. I just listened, and it sounds rather folksy to me (maybe could have done w/o the bluesy 'yeah-yeah' run at the end though). Almost like the common man might sing it (though Feliciano has uncommon talent), no real acrobatic reaching for high notes or anything.

Now, I just love the Hendrix Woodstock version, but that's in a whole 'nother universe. Not something for a sporting event or any traditional program. But man, it is just so beautiful/scary.

-ERD50

When I was a midshipman at the US Naval Academy, my roommate and I rigged up our alarm clock and stereo to play Hendrix's Woodstock performance of the Star Spangled Banner at 0600 every morning. It's a splendid way to start the day.

Last edited:
When I was a midshipman at the US Naval Academy, my roommate and I rigged up our alarm clock and stereo to play Hendix's Woodstock performance of the Star Spangled Banner at 0600 every morning. It's a splendid way to start the day.
Again, many will disagree with me, but I don't mind musicians "making in their own", the Hendrix version included, even though it's quite "out there". Life would be pretty boring if they all played it like John Phillip Sousa. Oh, wait a minute, he died before it was made the national anthem. But you know what I mean.

Back
Top Bottom