Volcano erupts

ls99

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Volcano in Chile erupts for a second time | The New Daily

The link contains some pretty spectacular photos. May be a good idea to skip the visit there for a while.
Besides being a spectacular firework, it does put out a good bit of ash and gases. My guess it just wiped out a few years of clean air efforts.

Volcanic gas composition per USGS:

Volcanic Gases and Their Effects
The most abundant gas typically released into the atmosphere from volcanic systems is water vapor (H2O), followed by carbon dioxide (CO2) and sulfur dioxide (SO2). Volcanoes also release smaller amounts of others gases, including hydrogen sulfide (H2S), hydrogen (H2), carbon monoxide (CO), hydrogen chloride (HCL), hydrogen fluoride (HF), and helium (He).

And for what is volcanic ash Geology describes it.
Volcanic Ash and Volcanic Dust | Photos, Satellite Images, More

I started paying attention to such things after a visit to a geologically active area of Costa Rica; the SO2 from mud pots and hot springs kicked up my asthma pretty badly. (I used to work in a facility that would kick up SO2 levels occasionally; my asthma would let me know this had happened long before the environmental monitoring equipment.)

Sad for me since I would love to spend some time around the Yellowstone geysers and Hawaiian lava flows.

Back
Top Bottom