Join Early Retirement Today

FWIW
Old 02-04-2018, 07:45 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

FWIW

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
Some numbers to support this assertion, please. I will concede that the risk of getting sued if involved in an automobile accident are not totally negligible, but that is why we buy auto insurance. This thread is not about that kind of liability, nor was my post.
Actually, your post asked about non-employment, non-business liability ("For those of you so concerned about personal liability lawsuits in non-employment, non-business situations: how many people do you personally know who have had this problem?"). Automobile usage certainly falls within that.

As far as non-automotive, private liability goes, I've been involved in lawsuits arising out of dog attacks, horse and cow accidents, slip and falls, boomerang accidents (!), trampoline accidents, golfing accidents, boating accidents, swimming pool accidents, small airplane accidents, fires, etc. I don't recall precisely how many such cases, but certainly well over 100. I'm unsure how that really helps you, but since you asked.

If you choose to assess any risk as insignificant, that's fine; we all need to make our own decisions. I don't sell insurance, own no insurance company shares, and have no vested interest in promoting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
I wonder how many people who are aghast at an RSO not having insurance have ever actually spent time at a shooting range. I don't fault the OP in the least for his decision, but ranges where I have shot have been highly controlled environments and not at all scary. I don't have any numbers but my guess is that my highway time driving to and from the range is at least as risky as my time spent shooting.
I for one am not aghast; I just think he's being treated shabbily.

As a longtime target shooter, I have extensive experience on various military and civilian ranges. I agree that they are controlled environments, and that the risk of injury or death is much less than driving. That said, human beings are imperfect and some accidents will always happen, no matter how controlled the environment. We can minimize risks, but they can never be eliminated:
  • I've personally witnessed one AD on a civilian range (fortunately with the pistol pointed downrange);
  • David Petraeus is a well-known example of a wounding by AD on a military range; and
  • I once had a friend who was suspended from a police academy after accidentally wounding a fellow recruit on the range.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2018, 05:26 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
As a longtime target shooter, I have extensive experience on various military and civilian ranges. I agree that they are controlled environments, and that the risk of injury or death is much less than driving. That said, human beings are imperfect and some accidents will always happen, no matter how controlled the environment. We can minimize risks, but they can never be eliminated:
  • I've personally witnessed one AD on a civilian range (fortunately with the pistol pointed downrange);
  • David Petraeus is a well-known example of a wounding by AD on a military range; and
  • I once had a friend who was suspended from a police academy after accidentally wounding a fellow recruit on the range.
Locally a few years ago we had an 8 year old killed when some idiot at a shooting range gave him an Uzi to fire. The recoil apparently sent the gun back around 180 degrees and ....

Agree that most places are likely safer than driving, but in the rare case of an issue, once you mention firearms to a jury all bets are off; at least where I live. In the next town to mine (very upscale), parents complained that a police officer who was directing traffic at their kid's school had 'terrified and traumatized' the kids because they saw that he was wearing a gun. Seems that a bunch of kids ended up running and screaming after seeing the holstered gun. But that's another story I suppose.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:14 AM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Umbrella insurance is inexpensive.

And all the policies I've had covered volunteering.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote