Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-27-2011, 05:00 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
In the vast midwest, I could reliably get 5 or 6 years from a new battery. The cost didn't seem to be much of an issue (never had any better luck with Die Hards than cheap batteries).

It seems that every other car on the road here is a Prius.
Here folks seem to prefer the Pius over the Prius. We have a smog problem and the Pius replaces smog with smug.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2011, 05:03 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

I suspect some of the longest lived batteries are the ones not in the engine compartment. The VW battery under the seat, and the Volvo and Miata batteries in the trunk might benefit from a bit less heat and vibration while in use.

My Miata battery is 11 years old and still working. I live in one of those areas where water is in its molten form year round, though.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:05 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I got 12 years out of my Honda's battery while living in Winnipeg, which is the coldest city on the planet with a population of over 600,000.
Do you have a link for that? I find it hard to believe Winnipeg is colder than many cities especially in northern Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
You're kidding, right? A 15 yr old car gets classic plates?
Not here, it has to be 25 years to get antique/classic plates.

I bought a 60 month battery 15 years ago and had to replace it this spring. Not bad for 5 year battery.
Old 09-27-2011, 10:40 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
Do you have a link for that? I find it hard to believe Winnipeg is colder than many cities especially in northern Europe.
Sure. I don't usually make statements like that without checking the references first. I didn't say it was the coldest city. I said it was the coldest city with over 600,000 people.

Weather Winners WebSite

Geography and climate of Winnipeg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 09-28-2011, 05:26 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Back to the Volvo as a car comments.

My late wife owned Volvo cars most of her adult life. She was T-boned in an intersection by a car doing 60+MPH and she walked away...unlike the over driver who was no in a Volvo and was dead at the scene.

After she died I had one two many cars and a son who needed one to replace his old car. A year later he was hit broadside. It totaled the car but we escaped with only minor bruises and this was after leaving the highway after the impact and hitting a brick building.

We had mostly good luck with maintenance...a bit more than most Japanese cars but it was built for cold weather and had the feeling of safety and solid construction. I don't own one now because my 11 year old car is still running fine. Not sure about the current stock of cars since the last one I had was a 1999 940 R (not sure about the year but close).
Old 09-28-2011, 07:00 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

My wife drives a 92' Acura Vigor 2.5 ltr. 5 cylinder and I've replaced the battery once. She's the original owner and I'm her mechanic so I know it was only once.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:57 PM   #27
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
You're kidding, right? A 15 yr old car gets classic plates?
Yes - at 25 years you can get an antique plate:

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...ets/fs-ant.pdf

Of course, since I have a Viet Vet's plate on the car, that's worth much more, IMHO .
Old 10-06-2011, 02:15 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Yes - at 25 years you can get an antique plate:

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms...ets/fs-ant.pdf

Of course, since I have a Viet Vet's plate on the car, that's worth much more, IMHO .
You said you could get an antique plate for your 02 car in 5 years. That's not 25 yrs. More like 15. How ya doin' that?