Join Early Retirement Today

Volvo to be all electric
Old 07-05-2017, 05:30 AM   #1
Administrator

Volvo to be all electric

Electric engines are a frequent topic of discussion at E-R forum so this announcement should be of interest. Volvo announced that in two years, every car it manufactures will use an electric motor. https://www.media.volvocars.com/us/e...o-all-electric
Quote:
Volvo Cars, the premium car maker, has announced that every Volvo it launches from 2019 will have an electric motor, marking the historic end of cars that only have an internal combustion engine (ICE) and placing electrification at the core of its future business.
./.
Volvo Cars will introduce a portfolio of electrified cars across its model range, embracing fully electric cars, plug in hybrid cars and mild hybrid cars.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2017, 05:39 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I didn't know Volvo even had any production hybrids, but evidently they do. Seems like a radical change, but I'm not buying a Volvo anyway, so I can watch from the sidelines.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 05:45 AM   #3

Volvo was on the ropes for a while, but since they were bought by the Chinese firm Geely, they have been coming back stronger than ever.

Great cars, just expensive.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:08 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As the major auto makers leap into the electric car business, I believe this will have an adverse effect of Tesla stock. Only question is how much.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 06:20 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Worst car I have ever owned. Bought a brand new one in the 80's and it ran fine for 3 years then started dying mid-stream. Got towed in twice. Before the cell phone days and had to go knocking on doors to borrow a phone. Anyway....had electrical problems that they never fully figured out. Had to trade it in for something more reliable.
Old 07-05-2017, 06:35 AM   #6

Bought a 1980 244 when we were in Germany. Had it for 8 years. The starter switch/wire had trouble within the first three weeks. After that nothing other than oil change and tires. It did have a lousy AC, but hey the Sweeds did not need AC. I think it is different now. Neighbor has a new one, and it is his third. He says they get a new one about every five to eight years.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:57 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I'm not sure everyone (including me!) is clear on what they are saying there (and it may be intentionally worded to make you think they are going all-electric), but they include even "mild hybrids" as being "electrified", and not relying solely on an ICE (which means they do rely on an ICE, just not 'solely')!

And when they say "every Volvo it launches from 2019", I don't think that is the same as saying "every car they sell in 2019", is it? I think they mean new models? Well, some car models have been around for decades.

Ahh, here they say "in the future", with no date specified...

Quote:
This means that there will in future be no Volvo cars without an electric motor, as pure ICE cars are gradually phased out and replaced by ICE cars that are enhanced with electrified options.
Quote:
Volvo Cars will introduce a portfolio of electrified cars across its model range, embracing fully electric cars, plug in hybrid cars and mild hybrid cars.
And a "mild hybrid" can be very mild - nothing more than turning the alternator off when accelerating, and using it as a small motor to boost acceleration, using power from the regular starting battery.

To the extent that this helps mileage and the environment, it's all good (though of course, it is very questionable if plug in and full electrics are really good for the environment). But the copy seems a bit slanted to me.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:18 AM   #8

Nice headlines, but Volvo is a bit player in the car industry.
walkinwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:48 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I am with ERD50 on this....

A big announcement that makes it seem like it is more than it really is...

IIRC, Chevy had a very mild hybrid car a few years ago... had an electric motor to help accelerate it, but the increase in gas mileage was not that great...

Plus, from what I think ERD50 has been saying for awhile, and I kinda agree, is that Hybrids are looking like the best option... and it looks like Volvo is jumping in to Hybrids more than electric....

So, my point being... 'going in all electric' is a stmt that is not supported by the story....
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:01 PM   #10

Yup, it's not a watershed moment, but still reinforces the direction the world is taking. Also of note this is Volvo cars, not trucks.

One eyebrow raiser for me was diesel plugin hybrids, that just doesn't make sense to me ..
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
And when they say "every Volvo it launches from 2019", I don't think that is the same as saying "every car they sell in 2019", is it? I think they mean new models? Well, some car models have been around for decades.
From the wiki page it seems that their oldest currently selling model dates from 2011. So by 2025 they'll indeed probably still be selling good old gas guzzlers.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:10 PM   #12
Administrator

France have announced they will ban the sale of ICE only cars by 2040

https://www.theguardian.com/business...e_iOSApp_Other

From the same article Norway have a similar target target but by 2025.

Quote:
Norway, which has the highest penetration of electric cars in the world, has set a target of only allowing sales of 100% electric or plug-in hybrid cars by 2025.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:57 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Not sure this is such a big deal having electric motors in every car 2019 and beyond. A friend of mine had a Volvo, ca. 1962 and it had at least THREE electric motors. It had an electric fan for the heater, it had electric wipers (IIRC) and it had a starter motor - that's where the troubles began. My friend owned the 3 cylinder 2 cycle engine (mix oil and gasoline into the tank). He ran it out of gas but insisted on trying to start it (apparently, he didn't check to see if it had fuel.) No gas means no oil and he burnt up the engine which was expensive. Once fixed, he parked it under a tree which promptly fell on his car. I think he finally got the message. Something in the cosmos did not want him in that car.

To Alan's point about countries specifying what vehicular power plants will be mandated by a certain date, I've always thought this was foolish. Better to state the intended "goals" (fleet fuel mileage, or fleet pollution targets, etc.) than to specify how such things must be done.

Imagine France in 2040. Probably every one of their nuke plants will be beyond their service life - they'll be simply radioactive waste lands that no one knows what to do with. All electric rates will include horrendous legacy costs of figuring out how to get rid of these unloved nuke dinosaurs. Suddenly, everyone will expect to "plug in" and the windmills and solar panels will not be up to the job of replacing several million barrels of oil per day. The other issue is that France (or any other country) does not exist in a vacuum (all evidence to the contrary, heh, heh.) Mandating in one country may effectively put smaller car manufacturers out of business or at least reduce the countries where they can sell (possibly far superior) products.

I laughed my @$$ off back when Calif. went back on it's first zero-emissions mandate. Turned out that mandating something into law doesn't actually make it happen or even suddenly make it possible (at least given the lead time and current technology.) I'm not a luddite on this subject. I'm all for lower emissions, better fuel efficiency and even a smaller carbon foot print where it makes sense. But picking "winners and losers" has always been a fools errand in my humble opinion. YMMV of course.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:03 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I was talking to my nephew the other day, and he's driving a Lexus ES hybrid. Says he absolutely loves it and it gets about 44 mpg on the open highway.

I understand that our $1.87 per gallon gasoline takes some of the value out of hybrids, however such low fuel prices are not permanent. Hybrid gas/electric motors are the future of the car industry, and those in the business may just get used to it. Volvo is just ahead of some of the other manufacturers in going 100% hybrid and full electric on vehicles.

Owners that jumped on the Prius bandwagon early have a different mentality. They go around our town trying to run on batteries all the time--or as often as they can. They spend very little on gasoline. Since they require such little maintenance, their Toyota dealers seldom see them back in the dealership. Rather than trade every 3 years, hybrid owners run the wheels off their vehicles and then they pass them on to their kids before buying another hybrid.

Right now, I guess they could be considered a cult of sorts--albeit a Green Cult. New car dealers would like to see hybrid owners a little more often so they could do some business with them.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:29 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Anyway....had electrical problems that they never fully figured out. Had to trade it in for something more reliable.
Did Volvo use the same electrical system as MG? You know "Lucas Electrics" who over the years have had some wonderful catch phrases...

Quote:
The Lucas motto: "Get home before dark."

Lucas denies having invented darkness. But they still claim "sudden, unexpected darkness"

Lucas--inventor of the first intermittent wiper.

Lucas--inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.

The three-position Lucas switch--DIM, FLICKER and OFF.

The other three switch settings--SMOKE, SMOLDER and IGNITE.

The original anti-theft devices--Lucas Electric products.
Old 07-06-2017, 02:42 PM   #16

Joe Lucas -- Prince of Darkness

Don't forget the acronym
Loose Unsoldered Connections And Splices
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lucas.jpg (163.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 07-06-2017, 03:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Imagine France in 2040. Probably every one of their nuke plants will be beyond their service life - they'll be simply radioactive waste lands that no one knows what to do with. All electric rates will include horrendous legacy costs of figuring out how to get rid of these unloved nuke dinosaurs.
Is this tongue-in-cheek or serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
The other issue is that France (or any other country) does not exist in a vacuum (all evidence to the contrary, heh, heh.) Mandating in one country may effectively put smaller car manufacturers out of business or at least reduce the countries where they can sell (possibly far superior) products
Don't underestimate France in this one. They are very able to create and support worldwide competitive businesses, via shrewd government 'guidance'. The Renault-Nissan alliance is not a pushover and they know very much what they are doing.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:31 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I've owned a lot of cars but never a Volvo. With the way they are going, it looks like I never will. As I said in the Tesla thread, electric motors have their place in cars. They make great starter motors and they do pretty well as electric seat adjusters and to open/close my windows. I guess what they say is true in my case, you can't teach an old dog new tricks, especially when they don't want to learn.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:05 PM   #19
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Electric engines are a frequent topic of discussion at E-R forum so this announcement should be of interest. Volvo announced that in two years, every car it manufactures will use an electric motor. https://www.media.volvocars.com/us/e...o-all-electric
Having an electric engine in every car is different than the header of "all electric".
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:27 PM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Having an electric engine in every car is different than the header of "all electric".
I'm pretty sure everyone understood that, but just to be safe, if there was any misunderstanding, beg pardon for the unintentionally misleading headline.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote