Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Vote for Pot? Can't Decide
Old 10-21-2010, 11:53 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Vote for Pot? Can't Decide

I can't decide whether to vote for the legalization of pot in California.

For me, the important issue is cutting down on neighborhood grow houses.

On one hand, if cultivation is made legal for commercial growers, the price should drop precipitously and it would no longer be worth it to turn a house into a grow house.

OTOH, the law would allow people to grow it in their house "for personal use."

OTOH, the feds say they will still enforce the national anti-pot laws, making it unlikely that RJ Reynolds will start growing large fields of dope.

What do you think?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It should get much cheaper once the industrial farming and distribution start.

Why don't you smoke a couple, and then decide.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:02 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm inclined to vote no. In any case, I don't think the feds will allow it to stand. I also tend believe the argument that pot is a gateway drug. Maybe I'm naive, but I just don't think legalizing pot sends the right message to our youth.
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:03 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I'm conflicted about this. My tendency, though, is to think it should be treated very similarly to alcohol.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:04 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Vote YES or be consistent and vote to ban alcohol and tobacco.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:09 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

If people can grow it legally, wouldn't they grow it openly in their backyard hence rendering grow houses obsolete? I don't know if it makes a difference to you or not.

Personally, I don't think pot is any more dangerous than alcohol, so I am not opposed to legalization. I'd vote YES.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:09 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

If I had the opportunity I would definitely vote yes, and not because I want to use it, I don't.

Prohibition is wrecking our society, wrecking America, contributing to a vast overgrowth of police power, involving the armed forces in activities far removed from war waging (which may be part of the reason they are no good at that anymore).

As far as neighborhood grow houses, dealing and criminality, it would stop most of it dead. What do you care if your neighbor has a few plants and a grow light? Do you care if he makes beer or wine?

For that matter, what business of any of us is it if someone else wants to purchase and use marijuana?

It's more nanny state becomes police state.

Ha
Old 10-21-2010, 12:11 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Vote Yes!
For the reasons already mentioned.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:16 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I think the benefits of legalizing it out way the negatives. The only thing i'd be concerned about is having more "impaired" drivers on the road. However, the level of impairment is less with marijuana than with alcohol. For example: A drunk driver will drive thru a stop sign without even slowing down possibly causing serious injury or death. A driver high on pot will stop at the stop sign and wait for it to turn green. Who's more dangerous.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:21 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
A driver high on pot will stop at the stop sign and wait for it to turn green. Who's more dangerous.
A driver high on pot will be hitting every drive-thru on the way home...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 10-21-2010, 12:24 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
If people can grow it legally, wouldn't they grow it openly in their backyard hence rendering grow houses obsolete? I don't know if it makes a difference to you or not.
This is another issue that I have. The odor of maturing pot plants can be quite noxious. If both of my neighbors decide to grow some, it could make spending time outside on my deck/patio intolerable.
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:26 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWino View Post
This is another issue that I have. The odor of maturing pot plants can be quite noxious. If both of my neighbors decide to grow some, it could make spending time outside on my deck/patio intolerable.
Does this proposed initiative allow for "local control" whereby the growing options can be limited or restricted by local ordinance? It could be a potential deal-breaker if not.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:36 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Here's an interesting pro and con discussion:

Legalize Marijuana for Tax Revenue - BusinessWeek
Old 10-21-2010, 12:47 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I'd vote legalize. Seems like too much money spent on often ineffective efforts to criminalize usage. And I have a hard time reconciling our drastically different legal treatment of alcohol and marijuana. After the repeal of prohibition of alcohol, it seems like legalized but regulated is an acceptable path to follow versus outright prohibition and criminalization.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:53 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Though I have a harder time reconciling the legalization of harder drugs than I do with the legalization of marijuana, in truth we aren't really stopping much of anyone from using, but we are creating large criminal enterprises, and the resulting police/military/prison complex.

Now, could someone pass the Oreos...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:54 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Vote YES or be consistent and vote to ban alcohol and tobacco.
Personally, I think it should be legal regulated as is alcohol. I do thing pot and alcohol should be treated consistently.

On the other hand, I think you can consistently also favor banning tobacco. The difference I see is that alcohol and pot can be used safely and without harm to people. Tobacco can't be used safely and causes great harm to society. Based upon that, I can certainly justify banning tobacco.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:57 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
Tobacco can't be used safely and causes great harm to society. Based upon that, I can certainly justify banning tobacco.
On the other hand, one can safely operate machinery and motor vehicles after having a few cigarettes. Not so after a few drinks or a few joints. I'd prefer that if people want to do this stuff, the main hazard is to themselves and not to other unwilling participants.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:00 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

It's not legal? When I drove through NoCal coming south from Ashland Oregon last month I was astounded at the number of ads on the radio for grow supplies and varieties of dope for consumption - complete with strains on sale ("leafy blend $.99/gram, or my favorite, Kickazz Kush for..." quoth the DJ).

Of course, consumption is only for the infirm of NoCal. Mighty unhealthy spot, that Northern California. Surprising, given the sporty bike riding population in evidence....
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:01 PM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I would vote Yes and then tax it much the way alcohol and tobacco are taxed.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:03 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
Personally, I think it should be legal regulated as is alcohol. I do thing pot and alcohol should be treated consistently.

On the other hand, I think you can consistently also favor banning tobacco. The difference I see is that alcohol and pot can be used safely and without harm to people. Tobacco can't be used safely and causes great harm to society. Based upon that, I can certainly justify banning tobacco.
This is absolutely ridiculous. All you are saying is that you and your friends drink, but don't smoke. While plenty people have been maimed or killed by drinking drivers, I haven't read much about smoking drivers being a hazard.

You say, well drink, but don't drive. Sure thing buttercup, but will all your guests stay over after your party? Will everyone take a cab or bus to the bar? There is a reason they are called roadhouses. How about getting home from the NFL or baseball game or racetrack. Ever seen the drivers come flying out of there?

If you want to ban smoking because it hurts the smoker, to be consistent you will need to ban Coca Cola, pies and cakes, butter and meat, and whatever else the government scientists are pointing at this year. And sex- definitely ban sex. It causes dangerous conditions like AIDS, HPV, Herpes and pregnancy.

Ha