Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-04-2014, 11:40 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

More worker than voters at my polling place. I tend to vote in the mid morning so I never see a crowd but it was really quiet in my very blue precinct.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2014, 04:34 AM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
It's important to vote, but I don't accept that old saying. Too many times, the ballots have only bad choices. Unless you are in a position to actually run for office (and few of us are), then I think not voting doesn't mean you can't still complain. Politicians will sometimes try to appeal to get more votes out, and sometimes those are the ones that make the difference. If approx half vote for one party and half the other, just a little swing in getting people to vote can make a difference. Not voting is sometimes a statement in itself. -ERD50
Until they make voting mandatory it is still the right of every citizen to vote, or not, as they see fit. They still get to voice whatever opinion they want as they are still citizens.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:10 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Heh, heh, easier (and quicker) than going to the doctor. Only had to show a picture ID. At the doc, they want SSN, picture ID, Medicare card and supplemental insurance. And THEN I have to give them money.

I don't understand those who don't vote. I'll admit that it seems futile sometimes (especially in my state where we really only have one party.) Still, I had very carefully checked each of the candidates, their platforms and proposals and then cast my vote. Even if the candidates I voted for do not win, I do not feel disenfranchised. I had my chance to vote and I used it. Now I feel qualified to whine for the next few years YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 06:20 AM   #44

Voted in morning. Just old folks. Print name, sign in. No request for my ID. Electronic voting. Would rather have paper. Serious-faced poll workers. Free candy! Took 5 minutes from parking to driving away.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:42 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm an election judge (poll worker). We had a 42% turnout which is good, but still wondering what people are doing that is more important than voting (especially when there are hotly contested races or referendum issues). The only problem we had was with people who don't know where they are supposed to vote, or didn't bother to re-register when they moved or got married.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:02 AM   #46

Our tiny precinct voted at the parish hall of our church. So we walked out out back door and to the adjacent building where, at around 3 PM, we were the 97th and 98th people to vote. This is apparently even more than were voting in the 2012 presidential election, according to the folks working the polls.

That said, turnout here tends to be on the weak side sometimes because the county is 80% Republican and the primary is the *real* election here (and for many statewide races).
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 08:39 AM   #47

The government can only represent the will of the majority of voters so as far as I'm concerned it is extremely important to vote.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:49 AM   #48

There are less than 17,000 people that live in my county and it has 14 different polling locations. There's only one town in the entire county that has over 1000 people within it's city limits. (I guess not everything is bigger in Texas ) I think about 4000 people in the county voted.

My polling location was a local country Baptist Church about 7 miles from home. When I pulled into the parking lot I saw 4 cars (no pick-up trucks) I was surprised that many people were voting that early out here in the middle of nowhere. When I walked in I saw 4 ladies running the polling operations at that site (each one drove to the location so that accounted for the 4 cars) So no lines...
Old 11-05-2014, 09:37 AM   #49

No issues voting. Went in with our youngest son (his first time eligible to vote and he was excited to do so). Took about 10 minutes.

I still wonder how folks complain about how "inconvenient" it is to vote and complain about traffic, waiting on line, etc., as compared to countries where coming out to vote may get you killed and they still have a larger percentage of eligible voters voting than the U.S.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:39 AM   #50

Another thing I remembered about my voting - despite their advanced age, I see many of the same poll workers at my local polling place every year. Some of them recognize me and remember me from the year I was a volunteer poll-watcher at the closing time. This was when we still used the old lever machines from the 1950s, so it was fascinating to see what happens when the polls close and they open up the back of the machines and post the numbers by row/column onto a multiple-copy paper.

Many years ago, one poll worker recognized my name from a recent letter I had written to our local newspaper about our school budget when it came time to vote on it a week or two later. She still addresses me by name when she sees me if she is working at the table I sign in at (we have 2 or 3 election districts voting in our polling place).

Here in New York, we have some unusual ballot rules so that candidates may appear on multiple lines on a ballot including third party lines. But sometimes candidates (usually judges) are cross-endorsed by both major parties so it is really no different from a candidate running unopposed.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 07:20 PM   #51

According to local newspaper report, the County Clerk in our county said, "Voter turnout was at 52 percent in La Salle County for Tuesday's midterm elections. A total of 35,677 ballots were cast in the county out of 67,532 registered voters." Not too bad for a mid-term election.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:20 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

I work as a Judge of Elections at one of our polling places. Turnout was heavier than expected (for us, about 40% of the registered voters showed up). Our district skews towards older folks so we had a couple of people goof up their ballot. One woman asked how to complete her ballot (and we're not allowed to touch anything, just coach them) so I explained she should use the touchscreen to make her selections, then push the big red VOTE button. Then she immediately pushed the big red button, before choosing any candidates. Then she said "Oh, I shouldn't have done that, right?" When I explained she had completed her ballot, she got indignant and insisted she should get another turn and wouldn't leave until I called the county election officials and had them explain it.

Another voter asked how to vote a straight party ballot for most of the candidates. I didn't even know how to answer that.

First-time voters must provide ID and one of the new voters had none and claimed ignorance of that requirement. I gently pointed out that his voter registration card he received mentioned that ID would be required. His answer was that he would go home and get his ID, but it would take him a little while since he walked from his home. Would I mind staying open 15 minutes past closing time until he got back? Sorry, we can't do that! We have to close at exactly 8 PM (if people are in line at 8, they get to vote).
Old 11-05-2014, 11:07 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

I am always puzzled by the joy that people express when there is a high voter turnout.

Most of us who are responsible and self sufficient are better off with a lower voter turnout. The further we get from democracy without letting anyone notice the better off we are.

Ha
Old 11-06-2014, 04:20 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I am always puzzled by the joy that people express when there is a high voter turnout.

Most of us who are responsible and self sufficient are better off with a lower voter turnout. The further we get from democracy without letting anyone notice the better off we are.

Ha
+1
Old 11-06-2014, 07:09 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post

Ha
I find your candor refreshing. The hollow argument about preventing voter fraud gets tiresome.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:18 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

I sense some broad-brush statements here, with a tinge of self-righteousness thrown in for good measure.

As I see it, there is voting and there is voting, and there is not-voting and there is not-voting.

Let's say I review my ballot ahead of time on-line, or through a mailing. I see there are no referendums (or none I care about one way or the other), there are no seats where I feel one candidate is any better/worse than the other. Fueled with this information, I decide not to waste the gas to go vote. In some small way (and maybe a larger way than a puppet voter), I am expressing my disdain with both candidates with a non-vote.

Someone else may walk into the polling place, do no homework whatsoever, and vote based on who knows what, likely voting the 'wrong way' on some referendum that might be worded in a complex way (we had one with about 3 negatives stacked, you really has to study it to understand what a "yes" or "No" vote meant). So this person gets to brag that they performed their civic duty, and their opinion carries more weight than mine? I don't agree. Looks more like Kabuki theater to me.

-ERD50
Old 11-06-2014, 09:44 AM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quick and painless. No ID needed, just signed the register. According to the instructions for voting on our local website, you can vote a straight ticket, then change the votes where you wanted to vote for a different party. I guess you could call that voting "mostly" a straight ticket?

I really don't have an issue with folks who choose not to vote, I wish more of the people that don't agree with me would stay home on election day.
Old 11-06-2014, 09:58 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Only took a few minutes, but then it's a midterm, with the electorate probably busier and/or less interested than in the past - so I wasn't expecting any lines. Reportedly only 36.6% of eligible voters showed up.

Midterm Turnout Decreased in All but 12 States - US News

They asked for my photo ID for the first time this year, even though photo IDs became a requirement in 2005 in our state...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:19 AM   #59

ERD50, I agree with everything in your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
... Fueled with this information, I decide not to waste the gas to go vote. In some small way (and maybe a larger way than a puppet voter), I am expressing my disdain with both candidates with a non-vote.
As for expressing disdain, staying home is one option. Another way to do that is to go and vote for someone who isn't "in the club", like the Liberatarian, or a write-in of your choice. Members of the established parties might actually do what's right for the electorate if they see that Mickey Mouse starts getting a higher and higher percentage of the vote as years go by.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:20 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

I waited until 6:30, our poles close at 7. There was one person in line in front of me. It took about 5 minutes.