Join Early Retirement Today
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Voting while in the Military
Old 10-19-2015, 04:32 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
hakuna matata's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Small town outside of Seattle
Posts: 444
Voting while in the Military

So my daughter married someone who is stationed in Hawaii--and she now lives there (since June of this year). Today her ballot came in the mail addressed to her here at this address.

Is she a resident here in Washington State or a resident of Hawaii for voting purposes?

When your spouse is in the military, how is residency determined for the one NOT in the military? They both were originally from Washington State and he enlisted while here in Washington State. I looked a little online but it was very confusing, it sounds like his Home or Record (HOR) is here since this is where he enlisted, and that might be different from his State of Legal Residence (SLR) but that doesn't sound like it apples until you leave the military.

All in all--a very confusing state of affairs. I had hoped to tell my daughter a simple answer but it appears it is more confusing than I had originally thought.

Anyone here have an answer or can direct me to where I might find said answer?

"There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way. ~Christopher Morley
hakuna matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2015, 04:49 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Senator's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Eagan, MN
Posts: 3,529
When I was in the service, I had the choice. Vote in the state I was stationed, vote absentee from the state I was a resident, or vote in the state I enlisted from.

Or all three.

FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:08 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ExFlyBoy5's Avatar
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Country Living
Posts: 3,294
The spouse can now take the same state as the service member clams, or their original home when she/they moved. This rule changed about 5 or so years ago.

The service member will vote (and perhaps pay state income taxes) in the state that they claim as their residence (and is reflected on the LES).

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Retired in 2014 at the Ripe Age of 40
Founder and Head Lounger @ The Life of Leisure Institute
ExFlyBoy5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:11 PM   #4
Gumby's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Milford
Posts: 11,861
Try this website (Federal Voting Assistance Program)
Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 02:07 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 50
If your daughter has done nothing to change her state of residence, then I would say she can still vote, albeit absentee, in Washington State.

She would need to register for an absentee ballot, however.

Your son-in-law should have access to the unit voting assistance rep, who should be able to spell all of this out.
alistair is offline   Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Voting Problems in New Hampshire Trek Other topics 1 01-12-2008 04:54 PM
RVers blocked from voting pfpelican Other topics 2 11-07-2007 10:26 AM
Pretty machine errors cute fuzzy bunny Other topics 3 02-24-2006 11:13 AM
Types of voting machines affects outcome cute fuzzy bunny Other topics 0 05-14-2005 02:27 PM
Who Are You Voting For? BUM Other topics 72 10-25-2004 06:19 AM

» Quick Links

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:14 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.