Join Early Retirement Today
Voyager Mission
Old 10-24-2013, 12:38 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Voyager Mission

What were you doing 36 years ago? I don't recall either.

Voyager 1 has entered interstellar space. The NASA spacecraft, which rose from Earth on a September morning 36 years ago, has traveled farther than anyone, or anything, in history. more
I vaguely recall the Golden Record and that Carl Sagan was involved. But not much more. Why is it that this monumental human endeavor has been ignored by me?

The primary mission was the exploration of Jupiter and Saturn. After making a string of discoveries there -- such as active volcanoes on Jupiter's moon Io and intricacies of Saturn's rings -- the mission was extended. Voyager 2 went on to explore Uranus and Neptune, and is still the only spacecraft to have visited those outer planets. The adventurers' current mission, the Voyager Interstellar Mission (VIM), will explore the outermost edge of the Sun's domain.
Voyager - The Interstellar Mission

Part-Owner of Texas

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2013, 12:45 PM   #2
I was in Florida, studying nuclear power plant theory. I did get out to the coast to see both launches.

M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Voyager, it is now out of this world.
There must be moderation in everything, including moderation.
ls99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 12:52 PM   #4
I was single and owned an airplane, having a ball at my job. The bluebird of happiness sat on my shoulder almost every day.
I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.
Walt34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
What were you doing 36 years ago? I don't recall either.
I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of goundbreaking scientific breakthroughs, but I do have very distinct memories of both Voyager missions. I was most impressed by the photos of active volcanos on Io and the "braided" rings of Saturn. From Voyager II I remember the beautiful shade of blue in the pictures of Neptune.

I understand that there will be a similar flyby of Pluto in 2015. With luck we will get some equally spectacular photos from it.
karluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
finishing OCS in Newport, getting ready to go to Florida to study nuclear power plant theory.:-)
All that glitters is not gold. -G. Chaucer, W. Shakespeare
All that is gold does not glitter. -J.R.R. Tolkien
Brett_Cameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
I was a plebe at the U.S. Naval Academy, and I'm certain I was getting yelled at. Four years after that, I was in FL studying nuclear power plant theory.
Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:10 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
The Voyager missions are so amazing. Think about sending something up into space in 1977, and 36 years later it is still operational in a harsh environment, and sending data back to earth, and accepting commands from earth.

It was only recently that I studied this. I was vaguely aware that it was nuclear powered. It would be so far from the sun, solar panels wouldn't cut it. What I didn't realize before then, was that this isn't some fancy complicated nuclear reactor - it is 'simply' a lump of hot radioactive material that gives off heat as it decays (apologies to the nuclear engineers on the forum for this over-simplification). No controls, just a shielded lump of 'stuff'.

It is wrapped in thermo-couples - simple junctions of dissimilar metals that provide electrical power when heat is applied. Inefficient, but simple and reliable. The radioactive material gives off less heat as time goes by, and the thermo-couples become less efficient. So power decays, and they have shut down some systems over the years, but some are still active. This is mind-boggling to me. You have just two shots at this, and they both are still working 36 years later. How can you plan for that? No repairman to call, no oil changes, nada. And using 1970's technology.

IIRC, it takes about a day to send a command, have it processed and an acknowledgement sent back to Earth. With that sort of latency, would you measure it in nano-bits-per-second?

Awe inspiring.

ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote