VPN ... some questions.

I went ahead and also added StartPage too as a search engine for FireFox. StartPage uses Google but doesn't prevents Google from collecting my data on each search.

For now, I'll still use DuckDuckGo as my primary search. Reason why not just use StartPage as that uses Google is I like cheering for the underdog :).

I use StartPage, but I think it was just a matter where Google kept changing the way links were presented, and StartPage is just a very simple interface. But I do go direct to Google for custom start-end dates, and automatic conversions

-ERD50

I use StartPage, but I think it was just a matter where Google kept changing the way links were presented, and StartPage is just a very simple interface. But I do go direct to Google for custom start-end dates, and automatic conversions

-ERD50

I use Google news as my home page. MY brain is actually used to the new Google news look. I don't sign into my Google account. Want just the news without having my browsing collected. Now, just started using DuckDuckGo (primary) and StartPage for searches.

FWIW, Private Internet Access is now offering two years of service for $70 USA. Less than $3 a month.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

That looks like a good deal. Are you going to take the dive?

For my desktop PC, I've been content using a browser with built-in VPN for when I need to browse and don't want to be spied on :cool:.

Other times, like when Amazon, Ebay shopping with browser showing suggested products, I use a regular browser as I don't mind. I've been using DuckDuckGo as the default search instead of Google and don't really miss Google much, except at times I do use Google for maps as I like the Street View.

Not total protection as my email isn't under VPN then, but I'm not that paranoid.... Yet... :).

For my smartphone, I've recently been using DuckDuckGo as the browser also use StartPage for when I want to browse a bit more privately.

I just recently renewed my Witopia VPN subscription at $80 for two years.

Yes, I did sign up. Seems like cheap prevention to me.

$3 a month is about the price of a couple of candy bars :).

Do you notice any difference in speed?

$3 a month is about the price of a couple of candy bars :).

Do you notice any difference in speed?

I signed up for PIA over the past weekend and as long as I am using a USA based location, I noticed no difference in speed. When I use some foreign locations, speed is reduced to some extent, but not crippling. BTW, with PIA, you do not have to reconfigure your router and you can just install it on as many devices as you want to.

I signed up for PIA over the past weekend and as long as I am using a USA based location, I noticed no difference in speed. When I use some foreign locations, speed is reduced to some extent, but not crippling. BTW, with PIA, you do not have to reconfigure your router and you can just install it on as many devices as you want to.

Thanks. Good to know about the speed differences. The not have to reconfigure to router sounds like a big plus. With PIA, you entire internet goes under VPN? In other words, email too if I have an email program like Outlook?

Basic. No need for anything in the Pro package. I've been using the Basic for a number of years, both here and in Europe.

Back
Top Bottom