Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-28-2015, 11:32 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We've used VRBO, AirBNB and HomeAway a total of 4 times. 3 times were a disaster. One time (also NYC) was great. We wont be using them ever again. Of course we've had some bad luck with hotels also. I posted already about the hotel in Wash DC that broke the wheel off of my suitcase and did nothing about it. Luckily Macys took care of me and I now have a better set of luggage.

I sent an email to the owner telling him that if we don't get a full refund we will be reporting him to the NY Attorney General, the Housing Authority, and anyone else who investigates illegal apt renting in NYC. I had no idea it was illegal. Thanks, Rodi! I also mentioned that the credit card company may not be too happy with him using their services promoting an illegal activity. All he has to do to avoid any of this hassle is give us a refund. I'll let you know what he says when he responds.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2015, 12:26 PM   #62

We've used VRBO probably 6-7 times. Always a very positive experience. The key is to extensively Google-stalk the place... the neighborhood, the owner, the neighbors, read reviews on multiple sites, research the reviewers, read the owner's response to bad reviews, "drive around" the neighborhood on street view, look at Bing birds-eye view, etc, etc... every piece of information you discover should lead to another google search. It's absolutely amazing what you can learn in about 30 minutes of Google-stalking. We've avoided several places based on this, even when the ad itself looked amazing. It is a little time-consuming, but well worth it IMHO. Caveat emptor.

Cobra9777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 02:26 PM   #63

I moved out of Brooklyn 40 years ago. Back then that area was sketchy at best, downright scary at night. Many of Brooklyn's neighborhoods have gone through tremendous positive changes since I left, but nevertheless I would not stay there.
I never used VRBO or similar entities, preferring traditional hotels. But from what I've read here, I suggest to OP he try to negotiate a reasonable settlement; maybe half. I'm not a lawyer, but it appears the owner has some legally viable "defenses."
Old 10-28-2015, 03:16 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
I moved out of Brooklyn 40 years ago. Back then that area was sketchy at best, downright scary at night. Many of Brooklyn's neighborhoods have gone through tremendous positive changes since I left, but nevertheless I would not stay there.
I never used VRBO or similar entities, preferring traditional hotels. But from what I've read here, I suggest to OP he try to negotiate a reasonable settlement; maybe half. I'm not a lawyer, but it appears the owner has some legally viable "defenses."
We've exchanged several emails today and the owner insists he will refund only the cleaning fee which is $99. Nothing more. At this point I agree that we are partly at fault for getting off at the wrong stop, but so is he for not telling us which stop is best since he knows there are some very bad areas nearby. We had no idea about that at all so we just got off at what looked like the closest stop which is what anyone would do. I'll let the credit card company do their investigation.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:10 PM   #65

We got a letter in the mail today from the credit card company stating that our dispute has been resolved in our favor. All charges along with any finance charges related to this bill have been reversed, but the charges could be reapplied to our bill if they are determined to be valid due to additional information provided by the merchant.

Since they used the words "additional information", that sounds to me like they have already got the merchant's side of the story and the dispute is settled. Thoughts?

It happened pretty quickly which is the only reason I wonder about it.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:38 PM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by utrecht View Post
We got a letter in the mail today from the credit card company stating that our dispute has been resolved in our favor. All charges along with any finance charges related to this bill have been reversed, but the charges could be reapplied to our bill if they are determined to be valid due to additional information provided by the merchant.

Since they used the words "additional information", that sounds to me like they have already got the merchant's side of the story and the dispute is settled. Thoughts?

It happened pretty quickly which is the only reason I wonder about it.

Or the merchant has not yet provided any info.... and might not...

I do not know if I stated this in my previous post... I 'won' a case that I had protested... but 6 or so months later they sent me a letter stating that the charges were valid and would be reinstated.... they only gave me a few days to pay (it was AMEX)... I was about to leave the country and got really ticked off... I called and got someone who actually could follow what I was saying and told them to go through what I had submitted and they could see that they had been paid... they put the charges through 3 times on 2 credit cards but would not agree that I only owed one of them....

She got it and said that it was final in my favor and she would make sure of it...

So, for now, all is good.... do not worry.... but keep all the info you have in a file just in case...
Old 11-06-2015, 05:50 PM   #67

I agree, keep the info.

We had a similar cc response when we protested a Pep Boys repair center bill when they failed to fix a leak they had caused on an earlier repair (and lied about replacing the parts.) We had the leak (and parts that weren't replaced, replaced) at a stdealership and filed the dispute with the CC. A week or so later they told us they were approving our claim, pending further info from the merchant. We never heard back and that was about 6 months ago.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:45 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Or the merchant has not yet provided any info.... and might not...
Based on our recent CC dispute and the quick CC company response, I'd guess this is the case, and it's possible the charges could be reinstated upon completion of their investigation. This is pretty standard CC company procedure.

In our case, we got a second letter from the CC company stating the "final" determination was in our favor.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:30 PM   #69

Now if you closed the cc account the visa member bank and the merchant would be SOL if they changed their minds
Old 11-06-2015, 10:37 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

This thread is making me think it's worthwhile to pick a nit more often if I'm not absolutely happy with the service or goods from somewhere.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:28 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
This thread is making me think it's worthwhile to pick a nit more often if I'm not absolutely happy with the service or goods from somewhere.
If you are unhappy with goods you just about always return them. Service is different, and in this case I didn't even use the service. Using a service and then trying to get your money back because you were unhappy with it would be a whole different ballgame.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:54 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Now if you closed the cc account the visa member bank and the merchant would be SOL if they changed their minds
I'm not sure about that. In the past both myself and my son have cancelled cards but have had unexpected activity long after the card was closed. In my case it was my doctor's office who refunded a balance to a card that had been closed for 18 months. (I had to call the CC company and request a refund which came via check)

With my son it was Norton or MacAfee who successfully charged his annual renewal fee to a card he had closed. (It was a legitimate charge, he had simply forgotten to move it to an open card).
Old 11-07-2015, 02:19 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I'm not sure about that. In the past both myself and my son have cancelled cards but have had unexpected activity long after the card was closed. In my case it was my doctor's office who refunded a balance to a card that had been closed for 18 months. (I had to call the CC company and request a refund which came via check)
+1 to this. Since I'm in the credit card churning game, I change cards a lot. I've had multiple refunds sent to closed card accounts and had to request a refund of the credit balance on the credit card.
Old 11-07-2015, 04:48 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

With my son it was Norton or MacAfee who successfully charged his annual renewal fee to a card he had closed. (It was a legitimate charge, he had simply forgotten to move it to an open card).[/QUOTE]

How can you have a charge on a card that has been closed? Wouldn't the charge not be accepted? How can you be billed on a closed account and would you be responsible for the charge?
Old 11-07-2015, 06:40 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn54 View Post

Quote:
With my son it was Norton or MacAfee who successfully charged his annual renewal fee to a card he had closed. (It was a legitimate charge, he had simply forgotten to move it to an open card).
How can you have a charge on a card that has been closed? Wouldn't the charge not be accepted? How can you be billed on a closed account and would you be responsible for the charge?
Trust me, you can. (or at least you could a few years back).

On a slightly different tack, if you have an arrangement with a company that takes money out of your bank account on a scheduled basis then you cannot cancel that arrangement at your bank, you have to do it through the merchant. I found that out the hard way as well (A few years back the UK changed its laws that now allows a person to cancel a standing charge at their bank without having the merchant do it).
Old 11-07-2015, 11:46 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Trust me, you can. (or at least you could a few years back).

On a slightly different tack, if you have an arrangement with a company that takes money out of your bank account on a scheduled basis then you cannot cancel that arrangement at your bank, you have to do it through the merchant. I found that out the hard way as well (A few years back the UK changed its laws that now allows a person to cancel a standing charge at their bank without having the merchant do it).

Yes, which is why I have never agreed to allow anybody to take payment directly from my checking account... I have no problem pushing money to them from the checking account, but no draft from their side...

As to a charge on a closed CC.... just because you close it does not mean that any legit charge that was made on the card goes away... so, if the merchant can prove that OP owes the money, it would show up even if he had closed the card...

I do not know how someone can put in a new charge though.... that is one I had not heard of before....