Join Early Retirement Today
Wait for after xmas sale or shop now?
Old 12-14-2006, 01:17 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.
Wait for after xmas sale or shop now?

I need a couple of electronics...a new TV (probably a non-HD flat panel in the 32inch range, (current one is 15+ years old) and a new semi-powerful-but-not-top-of-the-line laptop (most likely a dell).

Wondering if the time to get a deal is now, before xmas this year, or wait until the "after xmas sale"?

I haven't really paid much attention in the past to which is a better way to go, and since neither is a present for anyone, was wondering if the ER brain-trust had an opinion on when the better deals will be had?

farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Wait for after xmas sale or shop now?
Old 12-14-2006, 07:22 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Originally Posted by OldMcDonald
...and a new semi-powerful-but-not-top-of-the-line laptop (most likely a dell).
I've had a couple of Dell laptops (and several desktops)...and they've all been good, but I bought an ACER this last time. Got alot more bang for my buck.

I've purchased before Christmas...I've purchased after Christmas. I've found good deals before AND after. IMHO, I don't think it really matters when you buy....It's going to go on sale the day after YOU buy it anyway!!!

Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 02:50 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Usually the laptop computers go for $500 to $2500 without much actual difference in features or performance - so I look for the most real performance at the lowest price from a good company.

Today you can buy a laptop with one computer processor or two - in the dual processor models there are Core Duo and Core 2 Duo variations with the latter being the highest performance

I was looking for laptop for DW - hoped for under 500 for Core 2 Duo system but all seem to be above $800 including Dell - Office Depot has some Core 2 Duo Lenovo models with Lenovo rebates - (Lenovo bought the IBM PC business lock-stock-and-barrel last year) - Was able to walk out the door with a Lenovo Model 3000 N100 0768DKU (Core 2 Duo) for $650 including printer after rebates last week.

Single processor laptops seem to be going for 450-550 at the bargain end of the spectrum. Maybe lower after New Years when they get blown out - still good computers

Check the Ads on Sunday

Good Luck

Dad's Dream; to have enough money someday to live the kind of life my wife and kids do...
Life is what happens while you are making other plans... John Lennon...
the more you look, the more you see...
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 03:00 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sailor's tip to use the Dell Outlet site paid off big for me. I'm happy with the E1505 laptop I got for $639 total. My refurbished machine is indistinguishable from new.

Perhaps after Christmas there will be a lot of returned computers available there.

TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote