Join Early Retirement Today

Waiting for Working Spouse
Old 07-25-2005, 03:57 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Waiting for Working Spouse

I know many on this board that have retired have spouses that still work. My husband is still working and we have a plan for him to quit by the end of 2006. Even though we seem to stay busy enough (it doesn't really take that much for me, I'm a little lazy) I can't help feeling that I'm chomping at the bit for him to retire.

I think of trips I want to go on, then think, I'd really rather go there for longer than a week or two, so we'll just wait, etc.

I really believe in the Buddist concept of "Being in the Now" but I'm having a hard time lately.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Waiting for Working Spouse
Old 07-25-2005, 04:16 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I guess in a way I am waiting for my spouse too.* My late wife and I retired in the same year.* She stopped working and I found another job after we moved. The new company was nice enough to move us, pay all closing costs on the house we sold and the one we bought.* I was going to work one year to cement them paying the costs for the move (over $80K in total.)* But, it did not work out like we planned.* I kept on working after she died for something to do and to keep my mind busy.* I have since remarried and my new wife has 2 years left to get to their early retirement program.* She is too close to just walk away from a small pension and medical insurance.* Those two years will be a small price to pay for additional the cushion of medical insurance and a pension.* I plan to keep working just so we don't get too involved in wishing and waiting for the other to retire.* We plan on going at the same time and not look back.*

Old 07-25-2005, 04:24 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
... my new wife has 32 years left to get to their early retirement program.
Guess it all depends on how you define "early"...

REW

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 04:29 PM   #4

Whoops! Meant 2 years...thanks for the correction.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiney

I really believe in the Buddist concept of "Being in the Now" but I'm having a hard time lately.
Me too.

JG
Old 07-25-2005, 11:24 PM   #6

My wife will be joining me in retirement at the end of the year.* Not a day goes by that she doesn't say she wishes she was retired.* She needs to finish up the year to get a small pension which would be shame to lose.* I'm thinking I will enjoy retirement quite a bit more once she pulls the plug.* I'm also trying to be a little more "productive" until she retires.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:27 PM   #7

Interesting to see how effective pensions are at keeping people working longer.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:25 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Interesting to see how effective pensions are at keeping people working longer.
Like in-the-money- but not yet vested options. It is hard to walk away from money already earned.

ha
Old 07-26-2005, 10:38 AM   #9

Yes, options are the main reason DH is staying through 2006.

Maybe I'm just jealous of MJ going to Thailand for a month (and attending the convention ). Well, I could go by myself, but since DH really wants to go too I'll wait for him.