Join Early Retirement Today

Wake Island Evacuated
Old 08-29-2006, 12:47 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Wake Island Evacuated

Nords, since you're in charge of the Pacific islands for the forum, how come you haven't kept up up to speed on this:

Wake Island evacuated as 'super typhoon' roars in

"This is going to roll up a storm surge that will probably submerge the island and destroy everything that's not made of concrete," Powell said.

The evacuees, mostly American and Thai contractors, on Monday were flown to Hickam Air Force Base on the Hawaiian island of Oahu...

Were you expecting company?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Wake Island Evacuated
Old 08-29-2006, 01:30 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Nords, since you're in charge of the Pacific islands for the forum, how come you haven't kept up up to speed on this:
It's a good thing that all meteorologists aren't surfers. You haven't been keeping up with the surfing thread, have you? Where the heck do you think we've been getting all these gnarly waves for the last week?

Quote:
"This is going to roll up a storm surge that will probably submerge the island and destroy everything that's not made of concrete," Powell said.
Here's a couple pictures of Hickam's brand-new C-17s justifying their existence:
http://starbulletin.com/2006/08/29/news/story01.html

It's interesting to note that Ioke's predicted to generate storm surge in excess of 18 feet, which is significant as the island's max elevation. A lot of bird families are going to be wiped out by this one. This is the biggest typhoon to hit the central Pacific since data collection started in the early 1960s.

Quote:
The evacuees, mostly American and Thai contractors, on Monday were flown to Hickam Air Force Base on the Hawaiian island of Oahu...
Were you expecting company?
We'll probably have a followup article tomorrow on impromptu family reunions, happy evacuees partying in Waikiki, and the INS trying to figure out who's supposed to be keeping tabs on all the visas. I think the Wake Island employees get one or two trips here per year for "morale leave", so it's not exactly unknown territory for them. Of course they're going to have to replace every personal possession they left behind that's not (1) buoyant & hydrodynamically shaped, (2) waterproof, and (3) strapped to a concrete bunker. I bet we'll see a big run on battery-operated entertainment electronics this week.

Wake Island and Kwajalein contracting jobs are supposed to be very financially rewarding-- in the sense that you get paid a decent wage, don't pay taxes, and have no place to spend it. Friends of ours (he's a retired Navy surface warfare officer, she's a Navy Reserve meteorologist) have spent the last three-four years on Kwaj pulling down the big six-figure salaries at the missile range. There are several Kwaj alumni on Oahu who absolutely loved the environment and the lifestyle and an old shipmate was raised there-- he feels the same way.

When she was on active duty, spouse used to fly to Wake Island every year or two to check out the meteorological equipment there. Much of it is automated but it occasionally needs repairs/maintenance, and the Navy used to hold the odd exercise in the area. She has an old t-shirt that says "Wake Island-- Where America's Day Begins".

http://media.maps101.com/SUB/ATLAS/I...icoceanrap.gif

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 02:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
You haven't been keeping up with the surfing thread, have you?
Nope. Jarhead and I don't read that one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Here's a couple pictures of Hickam's brand-new C-17s justifying their existence:
http://starbulletin.com/2006/08/29/news/story01.html
That C-17 is a much nicer ride than the one I flew into Wake in 1972 with mechanical problems...

Before you ask, no, the problem wasn't caused by me getting my scarf tangled in the prop! Spent a week waiting for parts. Fun place. :P

Old 08-29-2006, 03:40 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was there in the early 60s, on the way to Japan (or Guam). Anyway, I seem to remember there was a wrecked ship there just off the atoll. Or was that somewhere else?

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:54 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I stopped at Wake Island a few times in 70-71 on courier flights to and from the Philippines. As I remember you could do a 360 from the airfield and see water in all directions.

2soon
Old 08-29-2006, 04:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
I seem to remember there was a wrecked ship there just off the atoll. Or was that somewhere else?
I think you are correct. We island hopped from Okinawa to Guam, Wake, Midway and Adak (didn't have the fuel range to make it from Hawaii to CA), and I recall seeing an old shipwreck, probably on Wake. I definitely recall seeing the old concrete bunkers from WWII that dotted the island.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2soon2tell
I stopped at Wake Island a few times in 70-71 on courier flights to and from the Philippines. As I remember you could do a 360 from the airfield and see water in all directions.
Yep.

Old 08-31-2006, 06:29 AM   #7

It got nailed by a hurricane with 160 mph winds yesterday!

Needle in a haystack
Old 08-31-2006, 10:21 AM   #8

Is it still there?!
Old 08-31-2006, 11:45 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Been searching the net for an 'after' photo, but have come up dry so far.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:36 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry for being naive here but is this for real? shouldn't this be all over CNN or Fox?
Old 08-31-2006, 01:41 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It would if the storm were less than a thousand miles away from a place where there is something like a large population...

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 01:52 PM   #12
Confused about dryer sheets

who needs to party in Waikiki when the club on Wake had tall glass rum&cokes for 10 cents. Maybe they have gone up to 25 cents by now? Was last there in 1980.
Old 08-31-2006, 02:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach1
Sorry for being naive here but is this for real? shouldn't this be all over CNN or Fox?
They got all off the island earlier this week. My guess they will not head out that way for another few days, the storm just passed.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:17 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm

Poor Wake - don't get no respect - I guess they are going to take their time and sail out to check the kaput sensors.

heh heh heh heh heh
Old 09-03-2006, 04:26 PM   #15

Airmen sailing to Wake Island for damage check

"Airmen and Sailors from Andersen [Guam] will sail 1,500 miles to Wake Island to see how well the U.S. territory survived Super Typhoon Ioke.

The Air Force evacuated all 188 island residents on two C-17 Globemaster III aircraft Monday before the typhoon arrived Thursday with 155 mph winds and gusts to 190 mph. The residents include Airmen, Department of Defense employees and Defense contractors.

Members of Andersen's 36th Contingency Response Group and U.S. Navy Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron 25 will sail Sept. 4 on an expected four-day trip to the island."

Old 09-14-2006, 05:51 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Here we go: http://starbulletin.com/2006/09/14/news/story12.html

The runway's OK but 70% of the buildings are in need of taxpayer support...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote