Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-16-2009, 05:43 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
...The first Target in Honolulu opened up in the couple of weeks and got a very good reception. Also a new Costco, and one of the hottest items was the $3000 Channel bags on sale for $2,000. Prompting the newspaper headline to read "what recession"
But the buyers of all those Chanel bags were the little Japanese girlies, right?

R

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2009, 07:38 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have the same experience as W2R. We have both Target and Walmart in town. The Target stores are always clean and organized, and the layout makes sense to me. The Walmart store is chaotic, busy, and generally looks to be in disarray (and with COLD, COLD florescent lighting). Target hands down for me.

Old 03-16-2009, 07:55 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I buy more from these stores on the internet than in person.
My Internet purchases are 3:1 over "sticks & Bricks."
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:32 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Before we moved three years ago, I lived in an area where Walmart was the only store in town. I shopped there or I drove 60 miles to Dallas. I learned to appreciate the store, but I never like it.

We now live in an area that has only a Walmart Neighborhood Store and the nearest large Walmart is a good ten miles away. The Walmart Neighborhood Store small, crowded, and dirty. I can never find anything there.

We have a brand new Target (opened two weeks ago). I feel like I have died and gone to heaven. They have everything! The produce is fresh and well displayed. The wide aisles and good lighting are so much better the the little dark and cramped Wally World. The prices are a smidgen higher on most things, but they are having great specials every week. They have their own coupons each week also.

I love Target. I almost have to hold my nose to walk into the local Walmart.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:41 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I have found my dream retirement destination...
Just HOW big are those Texas snakes again?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:47 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

DW is a Target shopper. Thankfully ALL grocery and items that get used up (toothpaste, etc) is bought by me. We have a SuperWalMart that is two years old and actually pretty homey for a WalMart. They put laminate floors in the clothing and cards areas. It is clean and well lit.

It is usually 15% cheaper than Target, which is two blocks away. The clothing at Target is much nicer than WallyWorld, as are some of the appliances and electronics. However, last year I saved about $1300 on groceries by shopping at WallyWorld, and they are open 24/7.........which is nice for me........

Both are busy places, although at times the WalMart gets totally nuts. I know the store manager, and he said their sales are up 15% YTD. My comment? :>

"That's because all the Target shoppers are coming here, because they can't afford to shop at Target".........

Old 03-16-2009, 01:30 PM   #27

All the hating on Wally World had me wondering, and then I remembered that not all of their stores are like the Super-Duper Wally Worlds near me. Clean, open 24-hours, well-stocked, and most of the staff are even friendly!

I'm loving WM for the same reason as stated in the article OP linked:
Quote:
Wal-Mart sets aside 45% of its space for consumables. "Wal-Mart sells what you need to have," says Davidowitz, "as opposed to what you want to have." Not only does Wal-Mart sell more of the grocery items you need — the company is the world's largest food retailer — it sells them at better prices.
I hit Target when I can't find something I need at WM - usually a non-food item. Some of the non-food stuff Wally sells is iffy quality-wise, but T is always more expensive. Sure it looks a little nicer than the Super WM across the street, but how a place looks ranks really low on my list of things I desire in a grocery/department store.

Wally stocks just about every and any grocery item I need. I pass on some of their meat, and a lot of their produce, but I have a discount grocery store even closer to my home that does those things very well, albeit somewhat more expensively.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
All the hating on Wally World had me wondering, and then I remembered that not all of their stores are like the Super-Duper Wally Worlds near me. Clean, open 24-hours, well-stocked, and most of the staff are even friendly!
I love the Wal-Marts in Springfield, my planned ER location. Like yours, they are clean and uncrowded, with friendly and helpful staff and neatly stocked shelves. They are wonderful and when we move there, I look forward to shopping there often.

This was a totally different experience from shopping at a Super Wal-Mart in New Orleans on Saturday afternoon (believe me).

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:51 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I swear...maybe I don't get out much, but it seems to me the Wal-Mart stores I have been in over the past few years all smell like popcorn, old weiners and feet....
Old 03-16-2009, 01:51 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Folks should remember there are a LOT of older WallWorlds. Target is a new phenomenon in many markets. If the Target is 20 years newer, of course it looks better.......

Quote:
Wally stocks just about every and any grocery item I need. I pass on some of their meat, and a lot of their produce, but I have a discount grocery store even closer to my home that does those things very well, albeit somewhat more expensively.
I couldn't have said it better. I miss where I used to leave, they had a SuperWalMart AND a Sam's Club NEXT to each other..........

Old 03-16-2009, 01:55 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
They are so crowded that there are never any open spaces in the parking lot, and inside one feels buffeted by humanity.
More shoppers? Must be a connection as to why W-M is making more $.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:58 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Diapers, toothpaste, deoderant, etc. = WalMart

Clothes, minor furniture, appliances = Target and Costco

I also find the teeming crowds and narrow aisles hard to take at Wally. I enjoy my time in Target. I bought two nice shirts there for $9.99/each yesterday so if that's a premium price I'm o.k. with that.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:03 PM   #33

Wally world 10 miles, Target 26 miles. Easy choice for me. DW chooses Target.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:05 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurence View Post
Diapers, toothpaste, deoderant, etc. = WalMart

Clothes, minor furniture, appliances = Target and Costco

I also find the teeming crowds and narrow aisles hard to take at Wally. I enjoy my time in Target. I bought two nice shirts there for $9.99/each yesterday so if that's a premium price I'm o.k. with that.
I buy NO CLOTHES at WallWorld. With TJ Maxx a block away, there's no reason to.......

I just got three new dress shirts, 100% cotton Ralph Lauren, for $11.00 each, that's not a bad deal........

Old 03-16-2009, 02:12 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I swear...maybe I don't get out much, but it seems to me the Wal-Mart stores I have been in over the past few years all smell like popcorn, old weiners and feet....
The popcorn and cottoncandy makers at the entrance are overwhelming. The combo of smells is nauseating to me. Now add body and foot odor in crowded aisles and I'm looking for my barf bag.

Now, as far as old weiners go, dh2b is only 49.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:14 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The popcorn and cottoncandy makers at the entrance are overwhelming. The combo of smells is nauseating to me. Now add body and foot odor in crowded aisles and I'm looking for my barf bag.

So I take it the buns are still in good shape as well?
Old 03-16-2009, 02:16 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
So I take it the buns are still in good shape as well?
Of course, buns and weiners always go hand in hand.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:21 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Congratulations, you gave a WalMart thread sexual overtones........

Old 03-16-2009, 02:22 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Of course, buns and weiners always go hand in hand.
So does peanut butter and jelly, but that's another thread.......

Old 03-16-2009, 02:40 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Total 2008 expenditures at Wal-Mart and Target (year/monthly):

Wal-Mart $83/$7

Target $155/$13

So, much to my surprise and relief, Target wins!
Not if you bought the same items from both.