Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-16-2009, 02:53 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
Not if you bought the same items from both.

I think Target caters to women, while WallyWorld caters to anyone that can fog a mirror, and even some who can't.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2009, 04:12 PM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
The last time I went to a WalMart I managed to go the day before school started.

Target here is much newer (and nicer) than WalMart.

Old 03-16-2009, 04:22 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I swear...maybe I don't get out much, but it seems to me the Wal-Mart stores I have been in over the past few years all smell like popcorn, old weiners and feet....

That about somes it up for me.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:49 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

I shop Target, avoid Wal-Mart unless they are the only retailer offering a needed item. However, as a retired senior I rarely NEED anything. Basically, its Safeway or Costco for me.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:23 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Wal-Marts I've been in are hugely choatic and their stuff is displayed in messy piles or big bins that require me to go through piles of items to find desired colors or sizes. The "fresh" food from China scares me. There aren't any Target grocery stores near me, but the stores are well lit, organized and clean. For online purchases, WalMart prices are unbeatable and for non-consumable items, they seem to have an excellent low cost supply chain (also mostly to China). I'm not seeing a clear winner.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:50 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

I far prefer Walmart. As a member of the bourgeoisie, I rarely get to see such displays of humanity as I do while watching the proles at walmart wallow in their own filth, self loathing and poverty.

Actually I love their everyday low prices, inexpensive store brand foods and I only have to shop at one store each week for 95% of my purchases. I strongly dislike shopping but Walmart gets the job done on time and under budget. And it helps me practice my Spanish.

I rarely go to target. The nearest one, within walking distance, doesn't have a grocery component - that is unacceptable. The two nearest supertargets are 2-3 miles away, and simply aren't worth the extra long drive to pay exorbitant prices and rub elbows with fellow members of the bourgeoisie. I do that often enough.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:12 PM   #47

AFAIK, Target hasn't entered my part of Canada yet. WallMart came about 10 years ago. So far I've never entered a WallMart or Target, here or while travelling in the US.

One thing my depression era parents taught me was to buy quality, even if it costs more it will last longer. Cheap goods from China don't qualify.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:12 PM   #48

Wow, the description of some of you'all's Wal Marts are downright disgusting. Foot odor? Cotton candy and popcorn? Blecch!

The descriptions reminded me of a stop I made at a WM somewhere in the big city a couple of years ago. Halfway to our destination we suddenly remembered something we had not brought, so I thought "no problem, we'll hit the WM on the way."

It was a lower class neighborhood, and the WM reflected it. The goods for sale were different, the store was older looking and not well kept, I think I remember the cotton candy vendor as well. When I came out I told DW that WM must have different standards and marketing plans based on the clientele. The trashy stores for the trashier neighborhoods.

I guess if I lived someplace that WM decided was not worth the effort I would spend more time at Target. Here WM and Target are in competition and their clientele are similar. The T is a little nicer and newer (just a couple of years maybe), but the prices are much higher. I would not shop there for groceries though, even my grocery store has a much better selection and lower prices.

But the foot odor thing - that's just nasty.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:57 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
But the foot odor thing - that's just nasty.
As a former consultant for walmart, I've been up and down the east coast and visited many walmarts and I have never experienced this odor issue first hand. The really busy stores can frequently be messy because they do so much business 24-7. And yes, poor people exist and they shop there too because it is cheap and convenient.

I think there is this mental block for many when it comes to walmart - a former poster may have called it a "hairball". Kind of like the image and feelings that McDonald's or a thrift store evokes. One bad experience 20 years in the past cannot be countered by a plethora of more recent different experiences.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:55 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Couldn't help thinking as I read this thread that know one shops at WalMart any more because it is to crowded.

I really dislike shopping in general, unless it is online or at a flea market so I don't go to Target or WalMart very often. If I have a choice and have to shop I pick Target.

I was exposed to Target many years ago when it was apparently more regional and there was one within walking distance of my MILs place in the Mid West. Was always a great way to waste a few hours to get out of the house. I was happy when they moved into our area, from my early experience with how they ran their stores. Sadly the old Target was closed a few years ago when a Super Wally was built down the street, so that is were I walk to now and the experience isn't as pleasant.

Jeb
Old 03-17-2009, 08:59 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
As a former consultant for walmart, I've been up and down the east coast and visited many walmarts and I have never experienced this odor issue first hand. The really busy stores can frequently be messy because they do so much business 24-7. And yes, poor people exist and they shop there too because it is cheap and convenient.

I think there is this mental block for many when it comes to walmart - a former poster may have called it a "hairball". Kind of like the image and feelings that McDonald's or a thrift store evokes. One bad experience 20 years in the past cannot be countered by a plethora of more recent different experiences.
Agree.........

I don't think there's another full service grocer around that is consistently cheaper than WalMart. ONE example is this. The local store that a large number of folks shop at is owned by Roundys, its called Pick and Save. They have Campbells Chunky soup for $2.49 a can. When it goes on special it gets down to $2.19 a can.

EVERYDAY, WalMart has the SAME soup for $1.50 a can. It has been the same price for two years. That's just one example.......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:11 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
ONE example is this. The local store that a large number of folks shop at is owned by Roundys, its called Pick and Save. They have Campbells Chunky soup for $2.49 a can. When it goes on special it gets down to $2.19 a can.

EVERYDAY, WalMart has the SAME soup for $1.50 a can. It has been the same price for two years. That's just one example.......
Sounds about like it is here. We have a grocery store here in town that's part of a local chain of small-town grocery stores. We never do most of our shopping there but just get a gallon of milk, a loaf of bread, that sort of thing.

The prices at this store are routinely 30-50% higher than at the HEB about 18 miles from here. So about 2-3 times a month we make that drive and stock up on stuff, only buying the onesie-twosie stuff we forgot to pick up before or for which a sudden need has arisen. Even when gas was $4 we saved a lot of money doing this, as a typical $100 basket of groceries there would probably cost $140-150 here in town, assuming they even had that much of a selection...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 09:20 AM   #53
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
... the HEB...
HEB is a south TX grocery chain with the tag line "Here Everything's Better". The initials are actually those of the chain's founder, Howard E. Butt.

No, I'm not making this up...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:07 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hey, don't you be dissin' McDonalds. My office is in the McDonalds at 3rd and Pine.

Ha
Old 03-17-2009, 10:27 AM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Folks should remember there are a LOT of older WallWorlds. Target is a new phenomenon in many markets. If the Target is 20 years newer, of course it looks better.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
The first Target in Honolulu opened up in the couple of weeks and got a very good reception.
A Maui friend made an Oahu trip last weekend for a taekwondo clinic just because she can shop at Target. I think most of the Kapolei Target's stock is being shipped to the neighbor islands one suitcase at a time.

I know that Target has been doing a lot of local hiring for their construction & staff, and there's no better time to expand than during the pits of a recession, but Mainland HQ must not trust their new hires yet. I don't know whether to be amused or offended by their mailer showing the cute young sundress-wearing hapa-haole woman ("housewife"?) carrying a shopping basket prominently displaying a can of Spam. It was like Home Depot's opening here a few years back when they were selling energy-efficient double-pane insulated windows but no jalousie parts.

We're going to paas on Target for a few more months to let the crowds fade out and to give the local managers a chance to stock products that Wal-Mart doesn't carry. Otherwise Hawaii's Targets will be gone by 2012...

BTW my friend mentioned in passing that the state's only Krispy Kreme franchise (in Kahului) is going out of business. Yet Leonard's Malassadas is probably training their third generation of ownership.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:27 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Hey, don't you be dissin' McDonalds. My office is in the McDonalds at 3rd and Pine.
Hey, I'm a big fan myself. All of our local McD's have been recently remodeled and look "upscale and refined" - flat screen HDTV's, faux fireplaces in some, stonework, plush leather seating, newspapers. Clean. Always fast service, generally good service too (as compared to your typical sit down restaurant). Coffee is good, premium coffee is great. Food off the dollar menu is worth every penny and then some.

And a family of 4 can eat for under $10 including dessert, then the kids can play in the Play Palace afterwords. What's not to like?

I would never go here and expect a premium hamburger experience. But it serves its purpose. Same as Walmart.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:28 AM   #57

Quote:
Hey, I'm a big fan myself. All of our local McD's have been recently remodeled and look "upscale and refined" - flat screen HDTV's, faux fireplaces in some, stonework, plush leather seating, newspapers. Clean. Always fast service, generally good service too (as compared to your typical sit down restaurant). Coffee is good, premium coffee is great. Food off the dollar menu is worth every penny and then some.

And a family of 4 can eat for under $10 including dessert, then the kids can play in the Play Palace afterwords. What's not to like?
Keep it up. I'm long MCD.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:34 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't think there's another full service grocer around that is consistently cheaper than WalMart. ONE example is this. The local store that a large number of folks shop at is owned by Roundys, its called Pick and Save. They have Campbells Chunky soup for $2.49 a can. When it goes on special it gets down to $2.19 a can.

I hardly ever go to a regular grocery store anymore. Maybe 1-2x per year. There is one about 1/4 mile from my house, and the cheapest of any of the chains in town. The regular prices are close to double walmart's, and even on sale buy one get one free, the stuff is only occasionally a few percent cheaper than walmart.

A buddy of mine who doesn't drive is constrained to shop at the "expensive" grocery store in downtown where he lives. We laugh because he will mention buying something, say a can of beans, and it will cost $1 for the store brand. Then I laugh (at his misfortune) and tell him how it is always $0.38 at walmart.

The campbell's chunky is a good example, very similar to our local prices. $2.49 normal price at cheapo chain grocery store. BOGO it's $1.25, only $0.25 cheaper than walmart. Not worth a separate trip unless I'm buying a few cases of it, which I never do since I have walmart to do my pantrying. Always low prices allow me to do just in time shopping.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:37 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Keep it up. I'm long MCD.
You're losing money on me. I think a lot of their $1 menu are loss leaders, and my kids eat A LOT (A LOT!!!) of ketchup. A LOT.

But hey, if you can make a profit off of me, great, because I definitely get value from MCD's.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:41 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Most of my grocery shopping is done at WM. I'll stop at the local Tom Thumb, which is on the way home, for quick grabs.

As for MCD, or fast food in general, I'll eat it when I need something fast. No mistaking it for "food" though...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote