Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-17-2009, 09:49 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
You're losing money on me. I think a lot of their $1 menu are loss leaders, and my kids eat A LOT (A LOT!!!) of ketchup. A LOT.

But hey, if you can make a profit off of me, great, because I definitely get value from MCD's.
I think it's the franchise owners that are losing the bulk of the money, not so much corporate. It was the franchisees who were begging corporate to allow them to take the Double Cheeseburger off the $1 menu because they were losing money on each sale. (And they were certainly making up for it in volume as it was the most popular item on that menu by a fairly wide margin, IIRC.)

Yeah, if the franchisees are losing money, probably corporate isn't making money off the sale, but...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2009, 11:23 AM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I think it's the franchise owners that are losing the bulk of the money, not so much corporate. It was the franchisees who were begging corporate to allow them to take the Double Cheeseburger off the $1 menu because they were losing money on each sale. (And they were certainly making up for it in volume as it was the most popular item on that menu by a fairly wide margin, IIRC.)

Yeah, if the franchisees are losing money, probably corporate isn't making money off the sale, but...
You may be right - I think all our local MCD's that I frequent are franchises not corporate stores.

Back on the thread topic - I also love eating at a McD's located inside a Walmart. That's the ultimate in living a slumdog millionaire lifestyle.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:32 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
When I came out I told DW that WM must have different standards and marketing plans based on the clientele. The trashy stores for the trashier neighborhoods.
Yes, I agree. I don't think it is a conspiracy by management, it's just that more affluent shoppers are less likely to tolerate a messy, smelly, dark store. Management probably also realizes that having stores like this in nicer neighborhoods will do damage to their brand that is very expensive to repair (e.g. they'll be perceived a twin to KMart). On the other hand, a run-down store in a poor neighborhood is not such a problem, as it's still probably the nicest place to shop in that neighborhood, poor people will put up with the environment to save money, and upscale shoppers are unlikely to shop there anyway and be adversely influenced by what they see.

Walmart does a tremendous amount of good for the poor, as this article points out.

In 2005, Walmart's lower prices saved consumers $200 billion. The average Walmart customer earns $35K per year (compared to $50 for Target and $74K for the average Costco customer.) A WAG would be that at least 1/4 of that $200 billion benefitted folks who are in poverty, a $50 billion benefit to the needy. The food stamp program handed out just $33 billion in benefits over the same period. The earned income tax credit handed out $40 biillion.

But, the Walmart benefit to the needy didn't cost me a thing, which is a considerable difference from the EITC and Food Stamps. And, it benefits people who are still poor but don't qualify for/don't want to take government assistance. In fact, I can benefit, too just by shopping at Walmart.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:06 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Yes, I agree. I don't think it is a conspiracy by management, it's just that more affluent shoppers are less likely to tolerate a messy, smelly, dark store...
It has never been the company I object to, it is what the general public does to the store and merchandise. My biggest aversion is the local clientele and their lack of personal hygiene and outrageous habits. I'm not a snob, just conscious of disease transmission and food safety. I've seen people open jars or containers, taste, and put them back on the shelf. I've seen people sneeze and cough, into their hands, and then paw the fruit.

I know about WalMart's philanthropic side. They are a major contributor to the Food Bank programs nationwide, as are other familiar food retailers.
Retailers
Old 03-17-2009, 05:27 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

The "yellow pages" says that I have 18 Walmart variations within ten miles...

The newer Supercenters rival Target for cleanliness, lighting, aisle width, etc. But the older WMs in more outlying/rural areas aren't usually as nice.

Having worked for a few Mom n Pop retail outlets, back in the bad ol' days, I can say that none offered a 401k, ESPP, insurance of any kind, and most paid well below the prevailing minimum wage.

In my perfect utopia, WM would use their considerable clout to improve environmental and worker-safety standards in the third-world factories making their junk products, in addition to bargaining for ever "lower prices". This would jack up their costs might even the playing field v. the cost to produce locally/regionally.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:30 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Today's Jeopaerdy question:

Which two company's stock were the only ones to show an increase in 2008?

McDonalds 6% and Wal Mart up 18%.

Hmmmm. Just think how much money I wouldn't have lost if you guys would just wake up and shop where you are supposed to.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:51 PM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
It has never been the company I object to, it is what the general public does to the store and merchadise. My biggest aversion is the local clientele and their lack of personal hygiene and outrageous habits. I'm not a snob, just conscious of disease transmission and food safety. I've seen people open jars or containers, taste, and put them back on the shelf. I've seen people sneeze and cough, into their hands, and then paw the fruit.

I know about WalMart's philanthropic side. They are a major contributor to the Food Bank programs nationwide, as are other familiar food retailers.
Retailers
Lol reminds me to check and make sure that popper thing on top of the jar doesn't work! Yuck
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:33 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Today's Jeopaerdy question:

Which two company's stock were the only ones to show an increase in 2008?

McDonalds 6% and Wal Mart up 18%.
I assume they said the only two stocks in the Dow 30?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:49 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

I use Walmart for groceries about 50% of the time. There is a regular grocery store on the way home from the golf course that is just too convenient to pass up. This store has a pretty good cheap lunch in the deli so I'll pick up a few items when I'm buying lunch.

One thing I don't like about Walmart is if I'm shopping for groceries and need something like shampoo or vitamins, I've got to walk to the other side of the store to get it. Those kind of items should be closer to the grocery area. I guess I sound like some 80 year old fart.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:57 PM   #70
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

off topic: I love walmart. i buy so much stuff there it's kinda crazy. consumerism at its best....buying consumables that are 'consumed' much more quickly because they are p.o.s. products made in china...but the 20% i save off of a better product elsewhere always sways me.

regardless, i love walmart. i buy everything there, groceries included. if you ever get the chance, watch the msnbc special on wal-mart ...its amazing to see behind the scenes
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:01 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
But the buyers of all those Chanel bags were the little Japanese girlies, right?

R
Don't know for a fact, but I suspect they were locals. The Costco (the 4th or 5th on the island) is located in a very out of the way spot for tourist, and isn't even near the outlet mall area.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:01 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
One thing I don't like about Walmart is if I'm shopping for groceries and need something like shampoo or vitamins, I've got to walk to the other side of the store to get it. Those kind of items should be closer to the grocery area. I guess I sound like some 80 year old fart.
How could they get you to go by all their impulse item crap if you could get everything in one place in the store? Their floor layouts are carefully designed to get you to pass by higher margin items or discretionary/fun/holiday items.

Ever wonder why the milk is in the far rear of the store in one corner and the personal hygiene items on the diagonally opposite corner?
Old 03-17-2009, 07:03 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
off topic: I love walmart. i buy so much stuff there it's kinda crazy. consumerism at its best....buying consumables that are 'consumed' much more quickly because they are p.o.s. products made in china...but the 20% i save off of a better product elsewhere always sways me.

regardless, i love walmart. i buy everything there, groceries included. if you ever get the chance, watch the msnbc special on wal-mart ...its amazing to see behind the scenes
I am not big Walmart shopper, but definitely have a grudging respect for the company. I think they are huge help for lower income people in the country, and second the recommendation for the cnbc special.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:23 PM   #74
Gone but not forgotten

I always had a low opinion of Walmart until I volunteered at the local food bank and saw how much Walmart donates . It was enlightening .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 08:51 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How could they get you to go by all their impulse item crap if you could get everything in one place in the store? Their floor layouts are carefully designed to get you to pass by higher margin items or discretionary/fun/holiday items.

Ever wonder why the milk is in the far rear of the store in one corner and the personal hygiene items on the diagonally opposite corner?
I'm so pissed by having to walk the length of the store, I can barely see straight. So impulse buying is rare.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:10 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
I'm so pissed by having to walk the length of the store, I can barely see straight. So impulse buying is rare.
You might need to stop by the soda cooler up front and grab a cold ($1.29) coke and a $0.89 candy bar to chill out some.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:12 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And yes, poor people exist and they shop there too because it is cheap and convenient.
That will be a hard concept to sell to the patricians on this board.......
Old 03-17-2009, 09:17 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I am not big Walmart shopper, but definitely have a grudging respect for the company. I think they are huge help for lower income people in the country, and second the recommendation for the cnbc special.
When you're talking purchasing, logistics, inventory replinishment, etc., those WM folks are the hands down champs. Right now few can get a product from Asia, or wherever, into your hands for less.

I'm seldom in a WM, but I do go to Sam's and notice they hire many special needs folks who would be unlikely to get a job with a small, family owned retailer.

I've never blamed WM when the new WM Supercenter at the edge of town causes small shops on the town square to eventually close. The blame goes to the local citizens. Shopping at WM instead of remaining loyal to Andy and Barney and their chums on Main St was the choice of the local citizenry, not WM. Don't want a WM in your area? It's your and your neighbors' choice. Just don't shop there and they will go away, guaranteed.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:25 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
When you're talking purchasing, logistics, inventory replinishment, etc., those WM folks are the hands down champs. Right now few can get a product from Asia, or wherever, into your hands for less.

I'm seldom in a WM, but I do go to Sam's and notice they hire many special needs folks who would be unlikely to get a job with a small, family owned retailer.

I've never blamed WM when the new WM Supercenter at the edge of town causes small shops on the town square to eventually close. The blame goes to the local citizens. Shopping at WM instead of remaining loyal to Andy and Barney and their chums on Main St was the choice of the local citizenry, not WM. Don't want a WM in your area? It's your and your neighbors' choice. Just don't shop there and they will go away, guaranteed.
The pocket book usually wins out.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:43 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
That will be a hard concept to sell to the patricians on this board.......
Yep, hard to believe. But I happen to live near a pocket of poverty where, per the census, the median household income is under $30,000. And guess who's keeping walmart in business? Salt of the earth people, they are. Or Sal de la tierra.