Join Early Retirement Today

Wal-Mart vs Target
Old 03-15-2009, 01:15 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wal-Mart vs Target

Interesting strategies for both of these stores. I do not shop much however, Target often is lacking an item that I need, but Wal-Mart seldom is out of anything that I need.

Quote:
More importantly, in 2008 Target's profits dropped a stunning 22.3%, to $2.2 billion. That figure includes a 40.7% earnings collapse in the fourth quarter. Wal-Mart's 2008 bottom line rose 5.9%, to $13.5 billion. Now, Target is getting trounced.
Quote:
"They look at groceries as a way to get people in the store for the first time. Target sees it as an add-on sale."
Wal-Mart vs. Target: No Contest in the Recession - TIME

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
Interesting strategies for both of these stores. I do not shop much however, Target often is lacking an item that I need, but Wal-Mart seldom is out of anything that I need.
Wal-Mart vs. Target: No Contest in the Recession - TIME
If we have recession for years on end, Wal-Mart should be the winner. If reasonably prosperous conditions return, Target might surge ahead.

I believe we are in a phase where many consumers are treating recession as a new game-"hey, let's all pretend we can't afford anything anymore".

Unless something a lot worse than what is now going on happens, we will tire of this game just like we tired of all the others.

Ha

Old 03-15-2009, 02:22 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
If we have recession for years on end, Wal-Mart should be the winner. If reasonably prosperous conditions return, Target might surge ahead.

I believe we are in a phase where many consumers are treating recession as a new game-"hey, let's all pretend we can't afford anything anymore".

Unless something a lot worse than what is now going on happens, we will tire of this game just like we tired of all the others.

Ha
So you are saying that frugality is a fade, like the Hula Hoop?. I think (ok make that really hope) that you are right.

The first Target in Honolulu opened up in the couple of weeks and got a very good reception. Also a new Costco, and one of the hottest items was the $3000 Channel bags on sale for $2,000. Prompting the newspaper headline to read "what recession"
Old 03-15-2009, 03:03 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
So you are saying that frugality is a fade, like the Hula Hoop?. I think (ok make that really hope) that you are right.

The first Target in Honolulu opened up in the couple of weeks and got a very good reception. Also a new Costco, and one of the hottest items was the $3000 Channel bags on sale for $2,000. Prompting the newspaper headline to read "what recession"
I would say that very little in America is other than a fad. We really seem to be fad prone people.

I don't doubt that retail sales are off, but everywhere I go or walk I see restaurants and bars full of people spending their money. The downtown streets are full of shoppers. It seems to me at least locally to be a much less serious event than the 1974 resession.

Ha
Old 03-15-2009, 03:32 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
So you are saying that frugality is a fade, like the Hula Hoop?.
Nah. Bought a brand new watch for $5.35 including tax on Friday. Still working believe it or not. Cheap feels good. BTW, Walmart is the clear winner in my town. No Target stores in sight.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:44 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

My city doesn't have a Wal-Mart...there used to be one, but they left about 12 years ago. We have one Target and one Super Target that just opened a couple of weeks ago. I went there yesterday...it is huge and it was packed.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:59 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
My city doesn't have a Wal-Mart...there used to be one, but they left about 12 years ago. We have one Target and one Super Target that just opened a couple of weeks ago. I went there yesterday...it is huge and it was packed.
I have a WallyWorld within 5 miles.
Target is 25 miles away.
I believe in equal opportunity...so I hate both, very equally.
Give me a dollar type store or general grocery store, preferably mom-n-pop type, anyday. The smaller the better.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:09 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
The smaller the better.
Well I guess we all have our own opinions......

Old 03-15-2009, 04:17 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Give me a dollar type store
You mean something like Dollar Palace
Old 03-15-2009, 04:24 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

In Denver, I have four Wal-Marts in a 5 mile radius of my house. On the road, there are Wal Marts everywhere (and they are easy to spot and get to). Rarely do I come across a Target... or a K-Mart, for that matter. (Am not sure where they are in Denver but I am sure there are som.)

Wal Mart has become our shopping destination by default. Although, I do try to locate a local food store for the local Deli items.

We just stopped into a Wal Mart in Abilene, Texas (DW needed a bag... a cheap one to carry rocks in). This was the biggest store I have ever seen, incredibly big. The parking lot was full and it was extermemly crowded inside (Sunday afternoon?).

My money is on Wal Mart. (ah, if I had any.)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 05:03 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE'd@51 View Post
You mean something like Dollar Palace
EXACTLY why I hate WallyWorld. It will take me weeks to recover from the visual pollution I was subjected to Saturday.
And of course dh2b has to go out of his way to point out the most polluting examples to me.
The things I go thru for that man......all because he needed some audio/video cables.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:04 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well I guess we all have our own opinions......

Before or After?
Old 03-15-2009, 05:06 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My city doesn't have a Wal-Mart...there used to be one, but they left about 12 years ago...
I have found my dream retirement destination...
Just HOW big are those Texas snakes again?
Old 03-15-2009, 05:13 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Just HOW big are those Texas snakes again?
Old 03-15-2009, 08:33 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've been to a Wal-Mart exactly three times in my life.

First time, was because my aunt and uncle gave us a $50 gift card to one for our wedding. When we were in a town with a Wal-Mart, we took a deep breath and went in and bought $50 of laundry detergent.

Second one I was in, we were traveling and I needed some painkillers and they were the only pony in town.

Last time I was in one, we were looking for a buttondown shirt for DS (they're hard to find for 3-year-olds). We made it about 100 feet into the store when I started feeling nauseous. At that moment DH said to me "I feel ill... I think we need to leave the store."

We bolted and I've never been back.

I've never felt the need to vomit while inside a Target. Not saying the Wal-Mart experience was causal, just correlated.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:35 PM   #16

I hit Walmart or Target. Walmart had hanes t shirts on sale last week. I like em they are good to workout in or do yard work. Plus they got breath RX which is good stuff for my mouth.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:51 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Target and WalMart within 5 miles of house. Haven't been to WalMart in at least 10 years. Go to Target once every year or 2.

Do go to local Meijer and Kroger for most stuff.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:05 PM   #18

I rarely go to Target. Wal-mart is closer and has everything and at a lower price. I almost never buy anything other than at Wal-mart. A car and a house are about the only things i'll ever buy that I won't buy at a wal-mart. Shop anywhere else(except thrift store type places) and you might as well flush your money down the toilet.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:50 PM   #19
Administrator

Total 2008 expenditures at Wal-Mart and Target (year/monthly):

Wal-Mart $83/$7

Target $155/$13

So, much to my surprise and relief, Target wins! I really dislike our local Wal-Marts. They are so crowded that there are never any open spaces in the parking lot, and inside one feels buffeted by humanity. The merchandise is thrown about as if by a tornado.

Our Target, on the other hand, has a multistory parking structure, nice wide aisles, and provides a much more pleasant shopping experience.

I buy more from these stores on the internet than in person.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
I really dislike our local Wal-Marts. They are so crowded that there are never any open spaces in the parking lot, and inside one feels buffeted by humanity.
I guess that's one good thing about working the schedule I work. I have off 2 days during the week every week so I never shop on the weekend and I never shop after 4pm so even Wal-mart is reasonably quiet.