Join Early Retirement Today

Walking/gym shoes
Old 03-23-2018, 01:47 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Walking/gym shoes

I got great advice from this site re walking sandals last year. I’m now looking for new walking shoes (not sandals, but tennis shoes). I walk 3-5 miles/day and have used ASICS for years, but unfortunately they discontinued the shoe I was wearing and when I tried the new style, I got horrible blisters on the inside of both heels. Luckily I was able to return them to Amazon. I then went to a running shoe store so I could try them on and get professional advice. They mostly carry running shoes, not walking, but they offer a 30 day return policy even if worn. I tried Saucony but they weren’t comfortable for me so I returned them.

Any advice on the best place to buy walking shoes and/or a brand you like? My feet are narrow, especially the heels.

It’s hard to know based on trying shoes on for a few minutes how they’ll perform while walking for miles. I tried The Walking Company but their shoes didn’t fit me well and they don’t take returns after shoes have been worn.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2018, 04:26 AM   #2

I hike 3-5 miles daily and have used low cut hiking shoes instead of walking shoes for years. The foot protection and comfort have served me well.

I just bought a new pair - here's my break - in process (leather uppers) from my army days.
1. Place shoes in water (bathtub, bucket, whatever) for several hours or overnight. Place rocks inside to keep them submerged.
2. Remove from water and allow to drain for about an hour.
3.Put feet in shoes and lace up. Wear shoes about an hour (maybe two hours).
4. Remove and allow to dry (away from sunlight).
You now own a very comfortable pair of shoes that are custom-molded to your exact foot shape.

Happy walking!
Old 03-23-2018, 04:33 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have found that I like cross-trainers as walking shoes. They give more support than designated walking shoes. Lately I have liked New Balance 619 and Nike Air Monarch, both with gel foam.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:55 AM   #4

DW has plantar fasciitis but walks a half marathon every month. Recently she has been very happy with these:
Women's Waterproof Keen Terradora Hiking Shoes

She likes them so much she just ordered another pair.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 05:51 AM   #5

Here is what works for me:
I am flat-footed. For any walk over about 5 miles, I need a shank. I just bought a Merrell, MOAB 2 mid. Great shoe.

For running and trail hiking, I bought the Salomon XA Pro 3D. Seems to be popular on the AT.

Here is a trick that DS told me about. You can buy new or only worn once shoes on Ebay for significant discounts. So, I purchased and tested the above 2 pair from local outfitter shop. Then I went to Ebay and purchased secondary shoes for about half retail. There are some on Ebay with significant wear. I would not touch them. YMMV.
Z3Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:25 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I am partial to Adidas and Merrell, but each of us have our own physiology, feet and gait. Straight vs curved last, pronation vs supination, lots of variation in cushioning and support, etc. It’s unfortunate you’ve had a bad experience, but I think you’d be best served by going to another running store, there are people out there who can properly fit you with a shoe that fits your foot and physiology.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 06:56 AM   #7

Another good point:
I've been told by several people who should know that running shoes are better built than walking shoes. So if your mileage is higher than the average sedentary person, running shoes are a better buy at only a very slightly higher cost.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:12 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I am partial to Adidas and Merrell, but each of us have our own physiology, feet and gait. Straight vs curved last, pronation vs supination, lots of variation in cushioning and support, etc. It’s unfortunate you’ve had a bad experience, but I think you’d be best served by going to another running store, there are people out there who can properly fit you with a shoe that fits your foot and physiology.
Yes to all this. What works for any of us may not work for you. You are better off trying again at a running store. The best are the independent stores. Usually the owner knows what he/she is talking about, and hopefully is at least overseeing the process if not being the one to help you. At a chain running store you're more likely to get helped by someone who's been there for two weeks and got hired because they showed up for the interview on time and didn't have bad breath.

If they are any good, they should know about the old ASICs and what changed in the new model, and what a good alternative would be. Mine would. Take the old pair in with you, even if they don't know that model they ought to be able to find something similar. It is frustrating when they subtly change a shoe and ruin it for you. Are you sure you didn't just have a bad foot day? Feet swollen, or socks bunched up or something else to cause the blisters? Or was it more than once?
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 07:53 AM   #9

To OP: The right walking (or running) shoe is so individual that any of our recommendations may not be right for you. I have a wide foot, and the only running shoes that are comfortable for me are New Balance (NB). I also wear a different NB running shoe for walking.
I don;t know if this applies to other brands and stores, but my local NB Dealer allows returns for full refund within 30 days for any reason. This permits me to buy a new shoe and try it out knowing I can return it if it does not fit right after some use.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:46 AM   #10

Asics has been know to change the size and shape of a particular model of their shoe when they update to the next year model, leaving loyal buyers frustrated that the shoe they've worn for years doesn't fit any more. Sometimes it's as simple as trying a slightly larger or smaller size, and sometimes it's better to try a different model.

I wear Asics Kayano running shoes for walking and find them extremely comfortable. I think any running shoe that fits you well would make a good walking shoe. I've never been sure what a "walking shoe" really is anyway. It sounds like a marketing term to try to get you to buy another pair of shoes.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:52 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I walk between 35 and 50 miles per week. I like a flat shoe, aka zero drop. Altra shoes are good for this, but their soles are all pretty well padded. This is comfortable in a way, but I need more ground feel. Our member Running Bum recommended to me New Balance Minimus, and I have rotated them around with various Altras. I like the NB Minimus, and since my NB are now worn out I will replace them with whatever NB sells that is similar or identical. This is not truly a zero drop shoe, but the heel is only ~4mm above the ball of foot. The sole insoles are firm, and the outsoles are Vibram likely designed for trail running.

I mostly walk in the city. I keep hoping that my feet will toughen up, but so far I remain a tenderfoot. One caveat-once you become accustomed to minimal drop shoes, you will likely hate any shoe with a heel.

Ha
Old 03-23-2018, 09:17 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I really really like my all-purpose New Balance Fresh Foam, and I had loved my Brooks Glycerin the first time I bought them at a running store, but the next generation has much harder soles and a more pointed toe box that doesn’t work for me. A running store is a good place to be fitted (turned out I had been wearing a wide 9 or 9.5 when I’m really an 8 regular, go figure—no more blisters!) but the selection is more limited. I would go back to Brooks but in a different line. There are a lot of comfortable shoes out there right now imo.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:19 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Walking/gym shoes

I run and walk in Asics nimbus, Asics kayano, and Brooks ghost. I like the Asics and Brooks because they are a little wider. The salesman at the running store (Fleet Feet) said that aging people sometimes need a wider shoe because our feet get wider as we age.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:40 AM   #14

Podiatrist gave me a list of five or six shoes a few years ago. The ones I went with were San Antonio Shoes (bought at their store) and New Balance 900 series (bought at Fleet Feet).
Both places went beyond a simple measure to sell the right shoe for me.
Since all of our feet are individual I'd recommend a reputable store with trained fitters over a generic recommendation.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:44 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

New Balance. I'd also suggest seeing pedorthist or certified shoe fitter if you have problems.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:03 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Yes to all this. What works for any of us may not work for you. You are better off trying again at a running store. The best are the independent stores. Usually the owner knows what he/she is talking about, and hopefully is at least overseeing the process if not being the one to help you. At a chain running store you're more likely to get helped by someone who's been there for two weeks and got hired because they showed up for the interview on time and didn't have bad breath.

If they are any good, they should know about the old ASICs and what changed in the new model, and what a good alternative would be. Mine would. Take the old pair in with you, even if they don't know that model they ought to be able to find something similar. It is frustrating when they subtly change a shoe and ruin it for you. Are you sure you didn't just have a bad foot day? Feet swollen, or socks bunched up or something else to cause the blisters? Or was it more than once?

Definitely not just a bad day. I walked in the new Asics as well as the Saucony shoes several times and tried different socks to see if that would help. The blisters just got worse with the ASICS and the Saucony shoes caused my left foot to have pain in the arch every time.

I’ll go back to the independent running shoe store where I got my Saucony shoes and see if we can identify something else. Thanks for the input.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:18 AM   #17

New Balance especially if you have a narrow heel. Consider fitting and buying a pair locally, then looking online for buying later pairs.

I usually stick with one model, and buy them at Shoes.com, Zappos, or sometimes L.L. Bean.

I am wearing model 577, a simple leather walking shoe. They make other variations, but as I wear an orthotic, the mesh versions don't provide adequate support.

I also have a Hoka One model Tor Summit. It has a Vibram sole, and could be used as a hiking shoe because of the lugs in the sole. I find it to be a little too wide in the heel, but really comfortable for walking on sidewalks, etc., because of the sole. I do have trouble keeping the shoe tight in the heel because it is wider, and because this model uses nylon loops instead of holes for lacing. I wear these occasionally, but won't buy this model again.

HTH,

Rita
Old 03-23-2018, 11:30 AM   #18

I've found that several Skechers models fit me well and are comfortable. I have Hallux Rigidus and use a very stiff orthotic under the existing insole.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
To OP: The right walking (or running) shoe is so individual that any of our recommendations may not be right for you. I have a wide foot, and the only running shoes that are comfortable for me are New Balance (NB). I also wear a different NB running shoe for walking.
I don;t know if this applies to other brands and stores, but my local NB Dealer allows returns for full refund within 30 days for any reason. This permits me to buy a new shoe and try it out knowing I can return it if it does not fit right after some use.
Agree. A very individual situation. We have a very good shoe store locally with professionals that actually know how to fit shoes. I'd try looking locally for a similar place. They put me in Brooks and I'm very happy. Like mystang52, my feet are wider, so that was the maker and style they put me in. I like them much better than NB, which I had been wearing for years.

My local store: Mast Shoes | Ann Arbor's comfort shoe store for over 70 years

While local, they are still more than 1/2 hour away so now, I just buy the style and size they recommended online.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:20 PM   #20

You're not the only person that Asics lost as a customer - like you, I'd worn them for my daily walks for at least 5 years, getting a new pair every 8-12 months. Then last year they changed the heel and I could no longer wear them. Ugh.

I went with a pair of Ryka (women only brand) which my sister swears by, but never really liked them. So I went to a local DSW where they have dozens of pairs of different brands out to try on and found a pair of New Balance running shoes that I really like - very stretch/soft/breathable upper but good foot support. I think the only solution is to try on lots of shoes, and a knowledgeable fitter certainly could help. Good luck!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote