Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Walking in America
Old 12-03-2005, 06:01 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Al, That story reminds me of my first "First Night" in Boston with two friends. Here we are, 3 country bumkins trying to follow maps, we get lost in the financial district which is deserted. Thankfully we just followed the sound of those dang plastic horns everyone insists on blowing and found our way back to the crowd. It was very scary walking around those streets but it turned out to be the best New Years Eve I ever had.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2005, 06:18 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
Here's a fun story regarding walking during our St. Louis trip.*

On Thanksgiving day, we didn't have dinner reservations until 5:30 PM, so we had to kill some time during the day.* We wanted to go to White Castle, since I hadn't been to one since I was a kid -- DW never.* We'd seen one during our one taxi ride, and I knew generally where it was.* We couldn't find out if it was open on Thanksgiving.

So we decided to make it a quest to get to White Castle, even if it turned out to be closed.* We walked to the Arch and then south along the Mississippi river.* Soon we were stuck on one side of a freeway, and the area was getting deserted.* We continue on, and were soon in among abandoned factories, not a soul in sight.* If a bad guy came along we'd be in trouble.

We eventually find a road that goes under the freeway, and just as we're making it back to civilization, there, like a mirage, is the White Castle Hamburger place.* And it's open.*

It was a religious experience, and one of the main things we'll remember from that trip.

[img width=750 height=562]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a39/TromboneAl/77WhiteCastle.jpg[/img]

In ths south we have Krystal burgers which are very similar to White Castles.* *

http://www.krystalco.com/

Old 12-03-2005, 06:30 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

I grew up on White Castles. After spending the morning at the Y trading blows with other urchins, my brother and I would each get 5 WCs, which with a coupon were $0.75 for the five. Then we would hit a movie, like Pork Chop Hill or Iwo Jima. Before hopping the bus for home we'd maybe stop in Kresge's to get some toy soldiers- pot metal, $0.12 each.

On alternate Saturdays we might go to Covington Chili instead, and have 5 Coneys with cheese for $0.60. Parents supplied whatever antacids might be needed when we got home.

Ha
Old 12-03-2005, 07:53 PM   #44

I've eaten a bag of sliders on occasion. I never felt good later :P ...I know I did great damage to my arteries, but the eating was good.
The White Castle days are over.

I also spent a lot of time in these places and will again.

http://www.steaknshake.com/
Old 12-03-2005, 08:00 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
I've eaten a bag of sliders on occasion. I never felt good later* :P ...I know I did great damage to my arteries, but the eating was good.
The White Castle days are over.

I also spent a lot of time in these places and will again.*

http://www.steaknshake.com/
I second that steaknshake idea.* I only wish I had one closer to home.* 8) Oh so many ways to make a shake.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:03 PM   #46

I loved White Castle; haven't had one in 20-30 years. How much do they cost these days? *If I remember correctly, they were a dime each and we'd buy a dollar's worth.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 09:24 PM   #47

Eagle,

Last I was there they cost about 2 days in the bathroom.

I like them but they don't like me.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:57 AM   #48

49 cents each.
Old 12-04-2005, 11:06 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I read a book years ago titled:
A Walk Across America
It is about a young man who just set off to walk across the USA one day without much planning - a true story.
I think he did it in the 1970s that time in America where America was still different in different parts of the country. Now we have become homlogised.
(do we have spell check here?)
Old 12-04-2005, 09:21 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex
Now we have become homlogised.* (do we have spell check here?)
homologous, homologized

Yes, there are many of us and we all work for free... even if you don't request the service!*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 12:24 PM   #51
Dryer sheet wannabe

"...So we decided to make it a quest to get to White Castle, even if it turned out to be closed.* We walked to the Arch and then south along the Mississippi river.* Soon we were stuck on one side of a freeway, and the area was getting deserted.* We continue on, and were soon in among abandoned factories, not a soul in sight.* If a bad guy came along we'd be in trouble.

We eventually find a road that goes under the freeway, and just as we're making it back to civilization, there, like a mirage, is the White Castle Hamburger place.* And it's open..."

At the South end of the coblestone levee (just before the road along
the river goes back in behind the floodwall) is a commecial dock where
I worked back in the '80's as a towboat pilot.

Worked nights for about 8 years out of that dock.* Before the White
Castle went in (about 1990 or so?) the only "food" available in
the middle of the night was the "Eat-Rite" diner located a few
blocks further inland, or about a 3 mile drive to a White Castle
located way inland.

Now, there are several fast food joints in that part of town.

That area is positively "civilized" compared to what it was 20
years-or-so ago.

"They" charge to park on the cobblestone levee now, but way
back then people would drive down to the riverfront to park
and do nasty things in their cars.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:04 PM   #52

Sheryl - we're going skiing in about a week, too. To Lake Louise - it cost us $860 for airfare from SFO, 5 day lift pass, hotel, xfrs to/from hotel, and breakfasts. That's like the deal we used to get in Europe.

That being said, downhill skiing is not one of the cheapest endeavors one can do - but I really enjoy it and have been skiing for over 30 years....want to be one of those old farts who gets free lift passes.

Bridget
Old 12-12-2005, 07:22 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat
Sheryl - we're going skiing in about a week, too.* To Lake Louise - it cost us $860 for airfare from SFO, 5 day lift pass, hotel, xfrs to/from hotel, and breakfasts.* That's like the deal we used to get in Europe.*

That being said, downhill skiing is not one of the cheapest endeavors one can do - but I really enjoy it and have been skiing for over 30 years....want to be one of those old farts who gets free lift passes.

Bridget
Yeah, me too (re the old fart free pass). One of my favorite stories: My dad eagerly awaited the year when he would be 65 had could ski for half price. Turned out the only deal was a full day ticket at a half day price - Great bargain now that I'm too old to ski a full day anyway - was his response.

I'm not helping my FIRE goal with cheap hobbies - my favorite things to do are ski and scuba.

But we try to balance that out with running, tennis, gardening and other low-cost hobbies.

Lake Louise was really nice when I went there - not over-touristed - but that was 1984 or so. Let us know how it is!
Old 12-16-2005, 11:33 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
I grew up on White Castles. After spending the morning at the Y trading blows with other urchins, my brother and I would each get 5 WCs, which with a coupon were $0.75 for the five. Then we would hit a movie, like Pork Chop Hill or Iwo Jima. Before hopping the bus for home we'd maybe stop in Kresge's to get some toy soldiers- pot metal, $0.12 each.

On alternate Saturdays we might go to Covington Chili instead, and have 5 Coneys with cheese for $0.60. Parents supplied whatever antacids might be needed when we got home.

Ha
Ha,

Are you from covington or cincy

We made Cincinnati Chili for a get-together at our place not long ago.* People were ...confused Can't beat a good 5-way!*

Judy
Old 12-16-2005, 11:39 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWV
Ha,

We made Cincinnati Chili for a get-together at our place not long ago.* People were ...confused Can't beat a good 5-way!*

Judy
Hi Judy. If you are looking for "a good 5-way" you might be on the wrong board. Or maybe not.

JG
Old 12-16-2005, 12:20 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWV
Ha,

Judy
Hi Judy,

I was born in Covington, went to live with my grandparents in Ft. Mitchell when I started high school, and moved with my parents to Cincy later in high school. So I guess the answer to your question is "both".

Are you from there, or live around there now?

As far as 5-ways, the spaghetti kind of overdid it for me. I grew up eating Chili dogs with cheese and onions, and when I got older, I got my chili beans with cheese and onions! Like you say, Cincy chili is like no other. Has cinnamon, not very spicy hot, and the restaurants were mostly run by Greeks.

Go figure.

I donít think Skyline existed when I was a kid. There were several small chili parlor-poolhalls in Covington and Newport, and Empress Chili on the Eastside of downtown Cincy. As I remember, Covington Chili was on Madison a few blocks south of Pike.

I imagine there were others all over Cincy, but I didnít know about them. My world was what I could walk to or reach by bus from Covington or Ft. Mitchell. We later moved up by UC, and that is where I got introduced to Skyline. Earlier eating that stuff was mostly considered a downscale habit. I think Skyline made it respectable.

I always like to stop at Skyline when I go back. Itís weird food, but addictive. The complicated ordering lingo is similar to the complex way you must order a* latte at Starbucks.*

Ha
Old 12-17-2005, 05:10 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaHa
I grew up eating Chili dogs with cheese and onions, and when I got older, I got my chili beans with cheese and onions!
I'm originally from So Ohio east of Cincy along the river-Portsmouth-(Hicksville, USA).* Grew up thinking Cincinnati was just about the center of the universe.* Aunt and uncle moved to just south of cincy, Dry Ridge, and she took me to a place downtown where I had the best chili cheese dog w/ onions ever!* It started me on a lifelong quest to duplicate it, so far unsuccessfully.* I try chili cheese dogs everywhere.

Judy

You knew John Holt and you're from No Ky/So OH.* What gives??* Did you go to Antioch?