Join Early Retirement Today

Wall Street Journal - High Price for digital
Old 01-13-2017, 02:27 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I had a 2-month subscription to WSJ.com for $1.00. I just canceled because the price was going up to $32.99 per month. The rep offered $14.50 per month, I asked for $10.00 and he said they could not do that.

Now, Mr. A. just got an offer in the mail for 6 months, print and digital, for $99.00, which is $16.50/month including the cost of someone to drive by the house every day and toss the paper into the culvert. Yet they couldn't keep me as a digital customer for $10.00??
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2017, 02:47 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Sounds like the kind of thing that makes many of us retire early.

I have the same problem with my local paper. Currently, I get the physical paper and access to the digital version comes with it. I wanted to keep my subscription but get the paper online only. But, the digital only version t is more money than the "very special offer' I am now getting that includes home delivery and digital. !!!!

Not so good. I cancelled.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:00 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

I have the same problem with my local paper. Currently, I get the physical paper and access to the digital version comes with it. I wanted to keep my subscription but get the paper online only. But, the digital only version t is more money than the "very special offer' I am now getting that includes home delivery and digital. !!!!

Our local daily newspaper solved that problem. Our paper version of the newspaper is no longer available. It went out of business; they shut down the office, and only have the digital version now. Be glad if you have a paper newspaper at all.

The digital version is free, but you get what you pay for. It is written only by wannabes who ignore who-what-when-where-why, and whose grammar and spelling would be atrocious for a 2nd grader.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:35 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Could be worse with WSJ. I unthinkingly renewed print & digital for 2 years in November 2016. Given that we will be out of country for large chunks of time post-retirement, basically just threw that money out the window. Luckily, I would have wanted digital regardless, and son2 will gladly accept change of address for the hardcopy.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

The local paper here is so so. I like it, but don't need it. So, when we get a really cheap offer, I sign-up. Last one was $10/month. It expired in September, but they kept delivering. I got a bill. I called to say I did not continue. The paper stopped for 2 days, then started again. I got 2 more calls, with "great" offers (2-3 times what I had been paying) and said NO!

Still getting the paper, apparently for free. Sooner or later they will figure it out, I will wait for a few months, and then get another post card with the new subscriber offer of $10/month.

I think the print daileys are hurting and need the deliveries to support the ad charges.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:46 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
Could be worse with WSJ. I unthinkingly renewed print & digital for 2 years in November 2016. Given that we will be out of country for large chunks of time post-retirement, basically just threw that money out the window. Luckily, I would have wanted digital regardless, and son2 will gladly accept change of address for the hardcopy.
You can put it on hold... not sure for how long though... or if you're going to be somewhere for a while you could do a temporary change of address.

I had a full subscription when mega-firm was paying for it... then later got the weekend edition for $99 for a year IIRC, but they wanted $200/year when I went to renew so I dropped it. They used to do more introductory specials... I would take advantage of those and let them expire and then do it again a short time later.

Recently, I just bought weekend edition at the newstand... not worth $4 IMO.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 04:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
You can put it on hold... not sure for how long though... or if you're going to be somewhere for a while you could do a temporary change of address.

two months in peru Sept-Oct; two months in south pacific next May-July, another trip for a couple months somewhere in between ... Thanks to insights from this forum, we are setting up a virtual mailbox. That poses another issue for WSJ, as our rural address gets WSJ via same-day mail--not home delivery in the morning.

Definitely first world problem. At least Son2 will enjoy the hardcopy subscription.
Old 01-13-2017, 04:43 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

TRPrice has a free subscription to digital WSJ for Enhanced Services customers.
Old 01-13-2017, 05:33 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

That's better than anything VG Flagship offers. Too bad TRP's charges are generally higher than VG's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
TRPrice has a free subscription to digital WSJ for Enhanced Services customers.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:01 PM   #10
Dryer sheet wannabe

If you have any airline miles look into converting them for a subscription. Great value for a small amount of miles.
Hzefam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:03 PM   #11
Dryer sheet wannabe

One year subscription including print and digital for 3200 miles.
Hzefam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:53 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Now, Mr. A. just got an offer in the mail for 6 months, print and digital, for $99.00 . . .
Watch out for the "autorenewal at our regular rate on your credit card" angle on that one. They got me one time.
I was fine with the WSJ at their special rate of $99/year--I enjoy the paper. But when I couldn't get it anymore at anything near that rate, I chose to give it up. I'll check on the airline miles idea, that's a good one. That's also the only way I'll get "The Economist," which I also enjoy.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:54 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

If it costs too much don't buy it.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:47 PM   #14

I would gladly pay up to maybe $12-$15/month for a no-hassle, no-bait-and-switch, no auto-renew-at-higher-rate, no-snail-mail, digital-only WSJ subscription. I already pay this for the NY Times which has a great Android App. But it just doesn't seem to be possible with the WSJ . . . very annoying.
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:23 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I dropped my subscription to the WSJ some years back. On reflection I could not identify anything that it really offered me regarding investment advice or technique over the 30 years I subscribed.

WSJ's inflexible pricing did me a favor. Freed me up to do more productive things.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hzefam View Post
If you have any airline miles look into converting them for a subscription. Great value for a small amount of miles.
Agree - I have been doing this for years. I have been rotating my own miles, DW's, DD's, and DS's. Great way to use up those low balance mileage accounts from the one-off carriers
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:59 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Great ideas. Hopefully in retirement i will continue to enjoy WSJ.

And Barrons.

Company pays now. But so few good newspapers anymore.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 11:22 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I agree. I liked having it as a foil to the WaPo. It's interesting to see the different ways the same story gets reported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I dropped my subscription to the WSJ some years back. On reflection I could not identify anything that it really offered me regarding investment advice or technique over the 30 years I subscribed.

WSJ's inflexible pricing did me a favor. Freed me up to do more productive things.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:38 AM   #19

Quote:
If it costs too much don't buy it.
+1 So much info is available online that there is not a lot of reason to pay for it.
Old 01-14-2017, 05:57 AM   #20

There is more at play than the $2 or $6.5 difference to add print.

For one, the rep has instructions that he can't deviate for sure. Another one is that print still has ads in them that bring in revenue - more than the subscription most likely, especially WSJ.

Paper printing costs pennies, and delivery in bulk isn't that expensive either. Especially if there's a route running already along your house.

Also, they probably don't mind making a mild loss if that means you will subscribe to the digital edition. It doesn't make sense sometimes for everyone (like you), but in the whole it increases revenue quite a bit. I can imagine that switching some demographics over to digital only is easier if you lure them into print first.

Just some aspects I can imagine are at play. Pricing and cost sometimes get weirdly divorced.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cost of subscription, newspaper, subscription, wall street journal