Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-29-2008, 04:07 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm with your wife Target & T.j.Maxx. Walmart is for when you need a few food items and chlorine for the pool and socks and it is on the way home .

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2008, 04:22 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I usually hate going shopping. Going to WalMart "enhances" that feeling. Too crowded, and I always wind up about 6 deep at checkout in the slowest line.

At Target I almost never feel worse coming out then I did going in. That's worth something to me.

It's like paying a bit more to eat the same burger at a nicer restaurant in a more relaxed atmosphere. I'll pay a bit more for that. I still go to Walmart at times but I have to phsych myself up for it.

DD works at Target, so if I have a lot to get I try to go with her to get her discount.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:11 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Food & Purdue chicken (horrible meat, otherwise): Walmart
Cheap clothing and kitchen utensils: Kohl's especially with their sale coupons
Sales and better quality items: Target

Tacky as it sounds, I go where the deals are.
The Walmart here after 6 pm looks so rough that I feel like I should be carrying mace with me. I just go in the morning.
FYI: For those that don't know, TJ Maxx and Marshall's are owned by the same corporation. I heard on good authority that the TJ Maxx people are very nice at the top.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:39 PM   #24
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
The Walmart here after 6 pm looks so rough that I feel like I should be carrying mace with me. I just go in the morning.
Same here, plus it is impossible to find a parking space anywhere in the lot. I could probably go there safely and find a parking place at 6 AM on Sunday mornings (but often feel a curious desire to sleep at that time).

I prefer Target. During the past year I have been to Target once, and Walmart zero times. I work right across the street from K-Mart but haven't been there at all this year.

Somewhere along the line, I decided that shopping at cheap places wasn't saving me any money (because spending is spending, and I was spending). Now, if only I could really grok the analogous revelation that eating low calorie, low fat foods doesn't result in a thinner me, either (because eating is eating).

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:39 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Haven't been into a Walmart in at least 10 years; went to Target in Feb. (go there once or twice a year).

Do most general stuff at Meijer or thrift store or online.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:44 PM   #26

Never in my dreams would I see such a difference between Walmart and Target

Just for kicks I am going to do some price and atmosphere comparison the next time I head out to buy my breath RX at discount. To see the big savings
Old 04-29-2008, 06:50 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

My Walmart has self-check-out lines, but limits it to 10 items--don't know why. If I go on Tuesday morning around 9:30am there will be only one clerk-checkout line, but if I go on Friday around noon, when it's really crowded, then they'll have 6-7 check out lines open--so it's faster to go when it's crowded--go figure.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:58 PM   #28

FD - if you want to save te money, get up early on saturday morning and head to wally world. Get the things that will save you the most money, take them home, put them away, slip back into bed before she notices you are even up. Then let her buy the other things she wants at Target.

Just a thought...but I often do it.

R
Old 04-29-2008, 07:31 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

I don't really like to shop Walmart for food but I have heard if you have kids it is cheaper .
Old 04-29-2008, 07:44 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I usually hate going shopping. Going to WalMart "enhances" that feeling. Too crowded, and I always wind up about 6 deep at checkout in the slowest line.
I felt the same way when I worked. Going after 5:00 PM or during my lunch hour was a nightmare. But as a retiree, I go around mid-morning so it is not bad at all. As I mentioned before, I have a new Super Walmart to shop at so it is nice. The old smaller Walmart it replaced was pretty sleazy.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:02 PM   #31
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Food & Purdue chicken (horrible meat, otherwise): Walmart
Cheap clothing and kitchen utensils: Kohl's especially with their sale coupons
Sales and better quality items: Target

FYI: For those that don't know, TJ Maxx and Marshall's are owned by the same corporation. I heard on good authority that the TJ Maxx people are very nice at the top.
The comment in bold sums it up for me.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:24 PM   #32

Walmart or Hell with my back broken? I'll take hell, please!

Life is too short to stand in that godawful line with those unhappy members of the GP (general public).

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:28 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I have limited desires, so CostlyCo does it for me - heard on Nightline that they only carry 4000 items/store, as opposed to 40,000 to 120,000 at other stores. I'm happier with fewer choices. Do go to Wallymart for shower curtain liners (20-30 at a time) for the apartments and cheap miniblinds.

Costco's method reminds me of a study i read about:
"Some observers, however, suggest that more options may not always be a good thing. One study conducted at a supermarket near the Stanford campus, for instance, found that shoppers who were allowed to taste from 24 different jams were actually less likely to purchase any jam than shoppers who were allowed to taste from only 6. Michaela Draganska, associate professor of marketing at the Stanford Graduate School of Business, has found that while variety does have a positive impact on brand choice, some companies, especially those with well-known brands, are going overboard and would be better off offering consumers fewer brand choices. People can become so overwhelmed by the mountain of options available in nearly every product category from breakfast cereals or 401(k) plans to cars that they're likely to put off purchases—sometimes indefinitely". Research: News: Stanford GSB

Though i'm sure the Costco business model predates the Stanford study, for me, too many choices jam me up.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:31 PM   #34

While Walmart is better at making money, I like the business practices of Target more. While finding stuff made in the USA is not easy in either place, it is much easier to find stuff made in the USA at Target.
I also feel Target treats its employees and customers better than Walmart.
For these reasons I support Target by shopping there.

One thing, in my mind, Walmart has the edge over Target in their energy conservation. Not enough to tip the scales for me, but definately a positive.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:34 PM   #35

This thread has got me really thinking. I am going to compare Target to Walmart the next time I need some T-shirts and breath Rx. Im going to wander and really take in what is the big difference between the two. Thanks all this is a cool thread!
Old 04-29-2008, 08:34 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Where I am, the Target is clean and well kept and the employees are helpful; the Walmart is rather crappy and the employees close to non-existent. YMMV.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:34 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
DW has a love affair with Target. I have to admit that our local Target is hip and cool, and has nicer brands of clothes and other stuff than WalMart, but the amount of CASH I save at WalMart is staggering........
How can I make her understand??
Hurry over here.

Target won't invade Hawaii until 2009, but they're already in the process of destroying an impressive amount of Kapolei to open their store before Wal-Mart finishes destroying an equally impressive part of Kapolei to open their 8th or 9th store in the islands. Both of those schmucks (and I mean that in the full Yiddish sense of the word) will add at least 10 minutes to my surf drive but no doubt they'll have great values.

Maybe your spouse has a social conscience from reading "The Wal-Mart Effect".

But since this is a domestic dispute, perhaps you could take a more analytical approach. (After all, we are guys. Analytical is what we do.) Figure out how much your spouse "wastes" at Target every year and divide it by the total amount of the family's retail spending. Or compare her "waste" to the amount of money that you spend on golf every year.

Once you've collected your data, built your spreadsheet, analyzed the heck out of it, and drawn your supremely logical conclusions, then you can do what every wise husband would do: spend at least that much more on golf keep your conclusions to yourself!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:41 PM   #38
Administrator

The islands sure have changed from back in the day. Now that you have Wal-Mart, they must be giving Holiday Mart a run for the money.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:11 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I like the Target TV commercials better than the WalMart commercials.

I hate most commercials, I think these are actually clever and somewhat effective. You sell lots of 'stuff' - so show that by picking a single color, and then show a bunch of 'stuff' - all in the same color. The mono-chrome and clever patterns catch the eye. And, there is a message there - if we can show so many things that are all the same color, we must really have a lot of stuff, w/o actually coming out and saying 'we have a lot of stuff'.

One of the few commercials that catches my eye, and makes me remember the company.

When car companies put a pretty girl in the ad, I may remember the girl, but not the car brand.

-ERD50
Old 04-29-2008, 09:54 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

I buy most grocery staples, hygiene products, pet supplies and basic houseware items at Walmart (I usually buy brand name items so it's as good quality as anywhere else but much cheaper at Walmart). For decorative items and durable goods I prefer going to Target because it's more hip and some items are better quality. My Walmart is a pretty interesting place for people watching, that's for sure. I always dress down to blend in when I go there, but I have never felt unsafe. I almost always use the self checkout lanes and avoid the lifeless cashiers robots behind the registers. I also always get stopped by the elderly greeters fierce security guards on my way out (they want to make sure I paid for everything in my cart). But I don't go to Walmart for the shopping experience. I go there for the prices and I don't expect much.