Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-30-2008, 05:54 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

I hate Walmart meats because they seem to be full of water and fat when cooked. We go to Kroger for Just Perfect Turkey. I hate Walmart/Sams Club clothes. They dont last or wash well. Their home products are cheap looking and made with cheap components.

That said, I like the fact they dont have "sale prices" to keep track of and if the product is one you like, for example Mexicorn,the price will almost always be less than a surrounding store.

So we compromise and go occasionally to stock up and dont stay long. We buy our produce and meats always elsewhere.
sweetana3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2008, 08:08 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, I never got food from a Walmart. They dont have those super centers around me. I did buy some Jolly Ranchers they were at a tasty price.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:48 PM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

Target.....Walmart is absolutely HORRIBLE!!!!
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:07 PM   #64
Dryer sheet wannabe

My significant other refuses to go into Walmart, she will only go to Target. If we ever need something in a hurry (Walmart is closer) she sends me out to go get it.
JayOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:14 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Sometimes its better to lose a battle but win the war..
Just started reading this thread... so someone else might have made a comment...

But... if you lose this battle... haven't you lost the war
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:41 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

One time I was in one of the big Wally worlds.... and over to one side of the HUGE building... I mean, you could put maybe 4 football fields in one of these boxes...

But I digress.... I looked UP... it was shocking... I would say at least 25% of the lights were blinking away... started to drive me crazy... and if you looked close at the products, you could actually see the 'strobing' that the florescent lights were giving off....

I did not see this at Target... but it was new..

I got pissed at Target... they closed the one I drove by and moved it about 4 miles down the road to be across the street from a wally supercenter...

Also... remember Sam's is a wally world store...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:17 AM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
The islands sure have changed from back in the day. Now that you have Wal-Mart, they must be giving Holiday Mart a run for the money.
Um, ouch. That run ended a few years ago:
Honolulu Star-Bulletin News /2005/02/04/

After Holiday Mart went under to Daiei, Daiei ended up in bankruptcy and recreated themselves as "Don Quixote". (I don't understand why, but it's considered a good name at the HQ in Japan.) If it wasn't for Japanese cultural items that couldn't be found anywhere else on the island, DonQui would've been out of business within months.

The Pearl City Tavern closed it doors a few years ago too, and the monkey bar is gone.

They say a true kama`aina can give you driving directions in terms of places that don't exist anymore...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Funky smell - old popcorn and used humanity.
Or was that used popcorn and old humanity?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:50 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Lot of negative comments on Walmart here. Must be a lot of closet Walmart shoppers for them to do so well.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:42 AM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Um, ouch. That run ended a few years ago:
Honolulu Star-Bulletin News /2005/02/04/

After Holiday Mart went under to Daiei, Daiei ended up in bankruptcy and recreated themselves as "Don Quixote". (I don't understand why, but it's considered a good name at the HQ in Japan.) If it wasn't for Japanese cultural items that couldn't be found anywhere else on the island, DonQui would've been out of business within months.

The Pearl City Tavern closed it doors a few years ago too, and the monkey bar is gone.

They say a true kama`aina can give you driving directions in terms of places that don't exist anymore...

Or was that used popcorn and old humanity?
OMG - - I can't believe it! I used to love Holiday Mart (though my mother preferred sale days at Long's for some real bargains). I never went to the Pearl City Tavern myself, but a lot of guys used to hang out there back in the day. I thought it was there forever!

I haven't been back there since 2001, and I spent most of that brief week's visit with my mother. At that time, Oahu seemed like a patchwork of things that hadn't changed in fifty years and things that had. My memories pretty much filled in the gaps but often I could only find my way around by driving on instinct.

Guess Thomas Wolfe was right. You really can't go home again (except in memories).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:03 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Lot of negative comments on Walmart here. Must be a lot of closet Walmart shoppers for them to do so well.
I shop at Walmart because they are close (<2 miles from my house), cheap, and have everything I need from groceries to clothes to toys and automotive stuff. But I hate it for the same reasons already mentioned: I never can find a decent parking spot, frequently enough they're out of at least one or two items on my list, the noises in the store are grating, the checkout lines are always way too long, and the employees all seem depressed.

There is a Fred Meyer that is a bit further away and probably more expensive, but they also have everything I need and the store was recently remodeled so it's really nice to shop there. I'm strongly considering switching if I can get over my cheapness gene.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:20 PM   #71

I shop at Target but not Walmart much, since it's so far away from my house. But, they are building a new Walmart about 1.5 miles from me, so hard telling what will happen when that opens.

I go to Sam's for most of my non-edible staples: toilet paper, paper towels, dish soap, washing powder, etc. But, I am questioning whether my $40 annual membership is worth it. When I go to Sam's I like to look at all the pretty jewelry...look and just walk on by, so far....but I like to look. You never know what you might find at Sam's so it FUN just looking.

I may decide to give up my membership at Sam's (or not) after they get the new Walmart built.

I just haven't been buying much of anything lately. Nothing I really need/want.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:37 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - 876 miles one way from my driveway to Winn Dixie in Covington, LA(across the Causeway from Metaire/New Orleans) several times a year to buy to buy a large supply of the lazy man's:

Blue Runner New Orleans Red Beans Spicy Cream Style.(mandatory).

Back Home there is:

Salvation Army(better selection than Good Will) and Tom's Used Tires for stuff.

Price Chopper, Aldi, Walmart, Hy Vee for food/ toiletries - depending on ads/coupons.

I haven't found any cool junkyards or second hand stores as favorities yet.

Time will tell.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 12:46 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I think this is another aspect where the people on this board are not typical of the population in general.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 01:55 PM   #74

Wal-mart has become a vacation joke for us. Was camping in Watkins Glen, NY...trying to set up camp in the dark...discovered we left the air mattress at a friend's house 6 hours south! Drove around for a while...discovered a 24 hr WM 5 minutes from a beautiful state park...he was able to snag the stuff we forgot (air mattress, COFFEE!!??, and a few little things). A few weeks ago in Newport, RI...similar thing...he needed a pair of shorts for the golf course, and I forgot some toiletry things...we just laughed and agreed since we were on vacation, we must shop at Wal-Mart! It is not as bad when you are giggling about the silly things ya forgot to pack!
Old 05-01-2008, 03:25 PM   #75
Full time employment: Posting here.

We mostly shop at Target, but have shopped at Walmart when we are close to it. The Walmart is in a expensive upper middle-class suburb, but the quality of the employee definitely seems to be a little low.

Even some of their name brand stuff doesn't seem to be as good quality. For example, we bought these really good French chocolate butter cookies from there (Petit Ecolier) and they tasted a little stale. So I think we just stick to buying consumables, no clothes and no food. DW thinks their clothes are very poor quality.

Price-wise, they don't seem that different. Some consumables are cheaper at Costco, like dishwasher detergent, diapers and laundry detergent. There's a Sam's club close to our house that we went to with a friend's membership and man was that the worst store ever. Very poorly managed, stuff all over the place.

As others have said, Target makes me feel better about shopping there!
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:33 PM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderALot View Post
Even some of their name brand stuff doesn't seem to be as good quality. For example, we bought these really good French chocolate butter cookies from there (Petit Ecolier) and they tasted a little stale.
No way! They have Petit Ecolier cookies? I grew up on that stuff! I used to find them at my local supermarket but since we moved I have not been able to find them again. I never thought of looking at Walmart... I'll check it out next time I go.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:56 PM   #77
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderALot View Post
. The Walmart is in a expensive upper middle-class suburb, but the quality of the employee definitely seems to be a little low.

It's funny you mentioned that because our Walmart is very upscale clean ,wide aisles , fresh merchandise but the salesclerks are the dredges of society .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:12 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I feel much better knowing others have equally strong negative feelings about Walmo. We don't have a supercenter, but the place here is a really depressing, junky, disorganized mess. I do go there for generic garden chemicals, tho.
Seems like an oxymoron jazz......... It's "a really depressing, junky, disorganized mess." But, "I do go there for generic garden chemicals, tho."

If I felt that bad about it, saving a few pennies on garden chemicals wouldn't cause me to go there....

Are you saying that your cheapness overwhelms your sense of good taste?

JMHO
Old 05-01-2008, 04:17 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
No way! They have Petit Ecolier cookies? I grew up on that stuff! I used to find them at my local supermarket but since we moved I have not been able to find them again. I never thought of looking at Walmart... I'll check it out next time I go.
Sounds like maybe they are actually the same packages of cookies left over from when you were growing up.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:50 PM   #80
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bretired View Post
I shop at Target but not Walmart much, since it's so far away from my house. But, they are building a new Walmart about 1.5 miles from me, so hard telling what will happen when that opens.

I go to Sam's for most of my non-edible staples: toilet paper, paper towels, dish soap, washing powder, etc. But, I am questioning whether my $40 annual membership is worth it. When I go to Sam's I like to look at all the pretty jewelry...look and just walk on by, so far....but I like to look. You never know what you might find at Sam's so it FUN just looking.

I may decide to give up my membership at Sam's (or not) after they get the new Walmart built.

I just haven't been buying much of anything lately. Nothing I really need/want.
That's my situation. Other than food (for me and cat and birds and squirrels) and some cleaning products, what do I have to buy on a regular basis?