Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-29-2008, 09:32 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We had a new shopping center built in the last few years that has both Target and a Super Walmart. I drive past the Target to get to Wally World. I have been in the Target a couple of times, but definitely prefer Walmart. I was there today and was waited on within 5 minutes and my checkout lady was very nice. Where else can you get Breyers Ice Cream 2 for $7.00? I buy most of my produce, milk, eggs and some meats at Aldi's store. I go to Walmart for toiletries, name brand foods that we like and lots of household items. Our Target does not have near the selection that Walmart does. I must admit, that I have been caught in some long lines at Walmart before, but they are not the only store where this has happened.
Dreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2008, 10:37 PM   #42

Costco (6m, soon to be 2m) for whatever they carry
Target (<1m) for whatever Costco does not have
Albertsons (0.5m) for whatever is left

I will invest in WalMart, but I will not shop there. I cannot take
the crowds and narrow aisles.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:38 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

We don't exclude WalMart, they sometimes have the lowest price and we try to LBYM. But time at WalMart is like time in prison - can't wait to get out. Target almost feels like a date by comparison. Prices always seem reasonable for what we buy, and Target's triple blade razors are the best I've ever used. I love Tar-shey and it's wide open spaces and bright colors. In my local Walmart I'm suffocated by the crowds and sure the next corner will be giving away government cheese!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:48 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

We shop them both along with Sam's Club at least a couple of times a month. We shop on Sundays...which around here is the best day to be out in public due to half the population or more being in church all day.

Here are some interesting facts on the Target Stores history.
Target Corporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 04-30-2008, 05:27 AM   #45

I generally don't "do" standing in lines. I worked hard for my money. If some business is too busy to take it I'll spend it someplace else.

And I've found that (generally) buying the cheapest price is also buying the lowest quality, which to me is a false economy. YMMV. I bought a Honda lawn mower in 1986, keep the maintenance done, and it runs fine.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:18 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

we shop for groceries every weekend at walmart. Then stop at Jewel just for apples, plain yogurt and skinny cows. We are switching from sunday afternoons to friday nights to avoid the crowds.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:21 AM   #47

REQUEST: For those adventurous folks who actually will do a legitimate price compare on Walmart vs. Target (or any other stores), would you mind posting the results? I am very interested in seeing them, and, I'll bet, I am not the only one here by any means that would be interested. I, for one, go where the deals are and would love to see the results. Thanks!
Old 04-30-2008, 08:28 AM   #48
Administrator

I also avoid Walmart.

Poor layout - designed to make you walk through every isle to find your item.
Greeters - I find them depressing.
Funky smell - old popcorn and used humanity.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:46 AM   #49
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Where do you shop to obtain better quality merchandise at a relative bargain?
TJ Maxx, Marshalls, and Burlington Coat Factory.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:01 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Burlington Coat Factory.........
Did you know that they are more than great coats....I dont know know what, though...do they sell big bags of rice since that is what I am looking for
Old 04-30-2008, 09:09 AM   #51

Wife does all the grocery shopping between Dollar General, Aldi's and Wal-Mart every two weeks. All are in close proximity, clean and cost effective.
frayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:25 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
TJ Maxx, Marshalls, and Burlington Coat Factory.........
Oh, for clothes. Yep - and we also shop at Ross.

However our expenditures on food and other staples are probably 10-20x our clothes expenditures. And kids clothes we buy at walmart - who really cares if they are durable. They will be outgrown before they can wear out. At $2-$3 per item, it is approximately the same price as a thrift store (I would assume - I never shop there).

One big reason I do all shopping at walmart is convenience. In 1 to 1.5 hours, we take care of all weekly shopping at one place. Saves immensely on time and saves on gas. My time is very valuable. Spending an extra few hours every week (times 2 people) to shop at other places and maybe save a few bucks and/or get better quality merchandise isn't usually worth it. I have better things to do than spend 1/4 of my weekend shopping and driving around town in traffic.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:44 AM   #53
Confused about dryer sheets

Do you ever get the feeling while dilly dallying through target that your strolling through the core of an apple?
DownPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:09 AM   #54

Did I ever get some fantastic deals on good quality merchandise at Ross Dress for Less. Everything from shoes to linens. However, you REALLY have to be a regular and be willing to dig thru alot of crud.
Unfortunately, Ross isn't in all that many cities.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:12 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownPuppy View Post
Do you ever get the feeling while dilly dallying through target that your strolling through the core of an apple?
When going to walmart I feel like I'm on a raid into a third world country trying to extract as much wealth as I can as quickly as I can and get the h3ll out as fast as possible. It isn't a pleasant experience, but it keeps the household running in an efficient manner. They even speak Spanish in this third world country.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:26 AM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

We live in a rural area. There is a Walmart Supercenter 20 minutes away. Target is about 40 minutes away so we gotta go with the close one. My work schedule provides a lot of days off during the week so I usually shop early morning on a weekday. Very few shoppers at those times so I'm in and back out in record time. Avoiding crowds is top priority for me.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:44 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Prices are comparable

for items they both carry, but that isn't much. Walmart has more lower priced but often lower quality merchandise, while Target has more upscale, design merchandise. Sometimes price is important, sometimes design. Neither beat the local supermarket sale prices.

Sam's Club has good prices but limited selection so you have to shop elsewhere as well. If you spend a lot it can be worthwhile, but it doesn't make much sense for a single individual buying only food. Simply can't use the large quantities or consume enough to make it worthwhile.
aenlighten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:08 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I generally don't "do" standing in lines. I worked hard for my money. If some business is too busy to take it I'll spend it someplace else.

And I've found that (generally) buying the cheapest price is also buying the lowest quality, which to me is a false economy. YMMV. I bought a Honda lawn mower in 1986, keep the maintenance done, and it runs fine.
Yeah, I just resisted buying some scissors at Walgreen's. They were two in the package along with a knife for $3.00; I only need one pair of scissors and no knife. They had to be too cheap to last. I may go to Williams Sonoma at lunch time and check out what they have to offer. Funny though, the noontime line takes longer at Wms-Sonoma than at Walgreens.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 12:15 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aenlighten View Post
for items they both carry, but that isn't much. Walmart has more lower priced but often lower quality merchandise, while Target has more upscale, design merchandise. Sometimes price is important, sometimes design. Neither beat the local supermarket sale prices.

Sam's Club has good prices but limited selection so you have to shop elsewhere as well. If you spend a lot it can be worthwhile, but it doesn't make much sense for a single individual buying only food. Simply can't use the large quantities or consume enough to make it worthwhile.
Well,I have a family of 4, so no problems........

I LOVE Sam's Club, but you have to know what's what. I have seen LOWER prices on some items at WalMart than Sam's Club. However, if you want 3 pounds of grapes, etc, Sam's is the bomb.

For weekly grocery treks, I split time between our local Roundy's Store (Pick and Save) and the 24 hour WalMart. Produce at WalMart is pretty much a joke, but most everything else is about 15-20% cheaper than Pick and Save............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:29 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Target is where I shop, when I have to go to some sort of department store.

Walmart...only at gunpoint will I enter that godforsaken nightmare called the supercenter. I'd rather work the rest of my days if the only way I can retire is to shop there. Death itself would be more merciful than standing in the line to check out there.
I feel much better knowing others have equally strong negative feelings about Walmo. We don't have a supercenter, but the place here is a really depressing, junky, disorganized mess. I do go there for generic garden chemicals, tho.
jazz4cash is online now   Reply With Quote