Join Early Retirement Today

WalMart or Target for Most Things??
Old 04-29-2008, 02:45 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

WalMart or Target for Most Things??

DW has a love affair with Target. I have to admit that our local Target is hip and cool, and has nicer brands of clothes and other stuff than WalMart, but the amount of CASH I save at WalMart is staggering........

Our "old" WalMart was too small, dingy, dirty, etc. But the new SuperWalMart has everything, and the food is about 20% cheaper than Target or the local grocery store.......

How can I make her understand??

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2008, 02:50 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sometimes its better to lose a battle but win the war..

Old 04-29-2008, 02:52 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

No Target here so it's the Super Walmart for me. The one close to my house is pretty new so it is nice. I still haven't joined Sam's. Do you think it is worth it for a single guy?
Old 04-29-2008, 02:52 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

When I'm in Target I feel that I'm in the belly of the corporation/marketing/consumerism beast.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:52 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Sometimes its better to lose a battle but win the war..

That's what my dad always says.........

Old 04-29-2008, 02:54 PM   #6

I prefer Walmart. But ive never compared the prices of them both. I thought they would be similar. I know Walmart carries those t shirts I like for cheap.
Old 04-29-2008, 02:55 PM   #7

Target is where I shop, when I have to go to some sort of department store.

Walmart...only at gunpoint will I enter that godforsaken nightmare called the supercenter. I'd rather work the rest of my days if the only way I can retire is to shop there. Death itself would be more merciful than standing in the line to check out there.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:55 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Always feel like I am slumming on the rare occasions I set foot in WalMart. Target, eh. Its just a Kohl's with brighter colors.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:57 PM   #9

Walmart is cheaper by far. Target has some really good disposable shavers, tho, according to my son.
Some advice from a woman: Let her win the battle before you lose the war, and just let her go where she wants to. She will love you all the more for it. She knows Walmart is cheaper, but the Target is less trashy and she feels more comfortable in it. I get it.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:09 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Walmart is cheaper by far. Target has some really good disposable shavers, tho, according to my son.
Some advice from a woman: Let her win the battle before you lose the war, and just let her go where she wants to. She will love you all the more for it. She knows Walmart is cheaper, but the Target is less trashy and she feels more comfortable in it. I get it.
She also loves Kohls and TJ Maxx, so I should just move on........

She COULD love Nordstroms and Macy's!

Old 04-29-2008, 03:26 PM   #11

I couldn't care less if Walmart is "more trashy". It's cheaper for the same quality stuff or it may be less quality but the overall value is still better. I almost never go and buy "stuff" but if I do it's walmart. I just bought a condo and down the road is both a Walmart and a Kohl's right next to each other. The "Joneses" go to Kohls and the people who want to retire before their 70 go to walmart. I've never gone to walmart for groceries but now that there's one 1/2 mile away i'll try it.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:42 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I have compared prices at Walmart vs. Target. Many things were within a penny or two of the same price. Name brand stuff (food, toiletries, diapers, etc) were typically the same price. The biggest difference that I saw was that walmart has a store brand of most things that I buy and it was usually 5-20% less for the same product vs. target if they had the generic brand. However target seemed to have less store brands in general (the folks that shop at target probably wouldn't try the store brands anyway). The walmart store brand is usually 25-50% less than the Target name brand products. Produce prices at both were similar, however walmart seems to have cheaper deals on 3-5 in season fruits/veggies that varies week to week.

Target has better clearance items at 50-90% off, vs crap at walmart that is 25-50% off at best (but useless).

I shop at walmart for ~95% of weekly shopping and only venture out to the mall for the occasional clothes/shoes purchase (although walmart has acceptable clothes/shoes at very cheap prices).

One big reason I shop at walmart instead of target is that it is more convenient. 3 minutes away or so w/ only 1 traffic signal vs. a 5-6 mile commute on a major highway. Customer service and long lines are hit or miss at target and walmart (maybe a touch better at target because they don't ever seem to be as busy, hence faster service). Our local walmart is packed to the gills pretty much every time I go by there. Target on the other hand is much less busy.
Old 04-29-2008, 03:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
It's cheaper for the same quality stuff or it may be less quality but the overall value is still better.
I'd rather pay more for better quality.

The Man Who Said No to Wal-Mart | Fast Company
Old 04-29-2008, 03:47 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

A WalMart was built near my late-mom's house. The relatives loved to visit and escape into that store! I found it very useful for the same purpose.

Since I live near neither store, which is better for internet shopping?
Old 04-29-2008, 03:52 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eridanus View Post
I'd rather pay more for better quality.
I think that makes sense for some purchases. For many things though, the quality isn't really as important.

Where do you shop to obtain better quality merchandise at a relative bargain?
Old 04-29-2008, 03:53 PM   #16

Closest Target is an hour drive so it is slumming at Wallys or Kmart.....
Old 04-29-2008, 03:58 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Target is where I shop, when I have to go to some sort of department store.

Walmart...only at gunpoint will I enter that godforsaken nightmare called the supercenter. I'd rather work the rest of my days if the only way I can retire is to shop there. Death itself would be more merciful than standing in the line to check out there.
Should have pressed the thanks button on that one! The last time I was at Walmart...well, that was the last time I was at Walmart.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:01 PM   #18
Dryer sheet aficionado

A few years ago I decided to no longer shop at my local WalMart because it had a horrible vibe. No one who shopped there looked like they wanted to be there, and no one who worked there looked like they wanted to be there either. They always seemed to be out of something I wanted, the lines were long, and I always came out of there feeling more stressed and irritable than I went in.

It was like a reality show where they see how much suffering and degradation you're willing to put up with just to save a few bucks.

The nearby Target is so much better, even though it's a bit more expensive. But I figure my mental health is worth it.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:02 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Walmart is cheaper but I found their stuff disintegrates in short order.

Target is much nicer, has a better quality of goods, and doesnt really cost much more.

Besides, I do about 95% of my shopping at costco and sams club.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:04 PM   #20

Man lot of Walmart hate in this thread.