Walter Cronkite

Wow....

Thanks for the link.

The show where he interviewed historical figures would make a really good TV show now.

Free to canoe

I remember that Walter Cronkite wept somewhere in the coverage of the Apollo 11 Moon landing. At that moment he must have experienced some very powerful emotions -- a professional newsman (well, probably the ultimate professional newsman). My recollection is that he covered the space program from the very beggining.

We'll be celebrating an anniversary of the moon landing soon, so get your moon pies ready.

I watched him as a teenager or even younger and felt that he was somebody I could trust to give me impartial information. Just the information, please, and I will make my own opinion. I think I remember him most for his coverage of the Veitnam war. But my favorite memories are of the "space shots".

Thank you, Walter Cronkite.

He was right up there with Michael Jackson.

Walter wore underoos?

No, Walter let his boy swing free. In an interview in Esquire he said that during the liberating days of the 60s he felt repressed since he had a family to support but had to work in the restrictive corp. workplace of CBS. The article goes on to say that his closing phrase "And that is the way it is." is also do to his lack of underwear. A low level manager from the personnel dept was tasked with giving the CBS news staff an overview of the company's new anti sexual harrasement guidelines. In the meeting, the manager mentioned proper dress and avoiding inappropriate clothing and for all; men and women to wear appropriate underwear (remember bra burning) Walter stood up and said "My boy was born free and shall remain free; and that is the way it is and shall remain." The "and shall remain" was dropped.

No, Walter let his boy swing free. In an interview in Esquire he said that during the liberating days of the 60s he felt repressed since he had a family to support but had to work in the restrictive corp. workplace of CBS. The article goes on to say that his closing phrase "And that is the way it is." is also do to his lack of underwear. A low level manager from the personnel dept was tasked with giving the CBS news staff an overview of the company's new anti sexual harrasement guidelines. In the meeting, the manager mentioned proper dress and avoiding inappropriate clothing and for all; men and women to wear appropriate underwear (remember bra burning) Walter stood up and said "My boy was born free and shall remain free; and that is the way it is and shall remain." The "and shall remain" was dropped.
I'll never think about Walter the same way again....:angel:

You told 'em Walt! ;)

Back
Top Bottom