Join Early Retirement Today
Old 08-02-2007, 07:06 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
When I was ferrying air craft across the Pacific we stopped at:

Minamitori-shima (南鳥島) or Marcus Island is an isolated island in the northwestern Pacific Ocean, located at 2418′N, 15358′E.

The guys from the coast guard said it was the most remote inhabited Island in the world. About 800 miles from any other inhabited place. There were 35 Japanese Coast Guard and 34 U.S. Coast Guard. Interesting they said that 2 guys manned the Loran station and the other 33 supported those two. Not sure if they are still there as GPS obsoletes Loran.

You will see a nice swiming pool on the southern side of the island. Only problem is it is the alternate drinking water in case they don't get enough rain. So they ask us not to swim in it.

I believe this is your Marcus Island. It has a 4500 ft runway SW to NE, Looks like some quonset huts on the east side, and on the south I do see what looks like a water storage/ swimming pool. It's about 800 nm from Wake Island, and around 5-600 nm from some other islands but they may not be inhabited. It's also about 15 feet above sea level, so it may not be there much longer.

This may indeed be the most remote inhabited island in the world (although Easter Island might compete). So we have different measures for remoteness: most remote inhabited island, most remote large population (Hawaii?) and most remote island from continents (Termatagi?).

By the way, I verified that the buildings at Termatagi are/were indeed used by the French military when they were supporting nuclear tests. If I know the French military, those guys are still there claiming they have a mission while enjoying coconut daquiris

FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2007, 07:43 AM   #22
There are two living areas on the island. One is the Japanese and the other the U.S. Coast Guard. The Japanese kept a weather station there. As far as being 15 ft above sea level, the island has been occupied off an on since World War II, maybe earlier. I’m not sure how it weathers storms, or if they just don’t go there. We put one C-130 and five OV-10’s on the island. We had to park the 130 and some of the OV’s on the runway. The takeoff roll for the OV was right at 4,300 ft. We rolled to the end of the runway and yanked it off the ground, and hoped they flew. The takeoff roll is usually shorter, but in order to fly the distance between island we were carrying two extra wing tanks. To get to Hawaii from Korea we had to go to Japan, Marcus, Wake, Midway, the Hawaii. To go back it was Hawaii, Johnson, Midway, Wake, Pohnpei, Guam, Ewo, Kadina, then Korea. One trip took 14 days!

Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:07 AM   #23
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Also look at Johnson Island. It is 717 WSW of Hawaii. Surprisingly Continental use to fly in there. Now you have to carry a gas mask with you all the time, and part of the island is off limits due to high radio activity. Seems like a missile with a nuke warhead blew up on the island and spread a little fall out around. Otherwise very remote and great shark fishing.

Here's the garden spot of Johnston Island. Other than the flight line, not much room for anything else. Looks like a lovely place to lay on the beach with your gas mask on. It was used for nuclear tests in the 50s. I had some buddies who were stationed there in the 60s and 70s. This link is a riot, listen to the "JI Saturday Night" song. Bet that club was rocking on Saturday nights, not much competition.
AFB Military World's LARGEST Collection* Johnston Island Memories Air Force Base

And their motto:
"I'll see your Herb Orange and raise you some Mustard Gas"

FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote