Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Want..an iPhone, but my basic tracfone meets my needs so I can't justify the expense

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

I wouldn't mind a couple of Can-Am Spyder RT Limiteds and an open road for my wife and I when I can't stay up on 2 wheels anymore. Maybe painted like Easy Rider.

Cheers!

Old 05-17-2013, 07:09 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

I would really be happy to get rid of all the crap we have. It does impress visitors though when they visit.
Old 05-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #64
Recycles dryer sheets

A Canon 600mm L f4 II lens. I have the last generation 500mm but the new 600mm is calling me. I still can't seem to get the 800mm f5.6 out of my mind but I think I've convinced myself the 600mm is the better choice, I think.... But now there's the new Canon 200-400mm that was just released. My head hurts!
Old 05-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
The thing that most comes to mind is a 65" flat-screen t.v. to replace my old rear projection model. It's a "want" because my current t.v. still works just fine, but it doesn't have all the newest connections and features (like HDMI and 3D, etc.). Now the funny thing is, I could easily afford to go out and buy a top-of-the-line flat screen with all the bells and whistles today, but my frugal nature says I can probably get another year or two out of the old t.v. Hmmm... it is 12 years old, though. Maybe it's time.
Me too. I need to replace the carpet in my rec room, and I don't have anywhere to move the 11-year-old rear-projection pre-HDMI beast. It would be easier to have Best Buy bring over a new LED or Plasma screen and haul away the beast. Maybe even hang the new TV on the wall. Then I can recarpet with ease.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:03 AM   #66
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
How about a smaller trailerable sailboat in the mean time?
Our annual direct sailboat expenses are in $300 range.
We have a biggest sailboat still fitting an a garage (18ft LOA).
Granted, it's little crowded with our family of 5 and few friends, but everybody is having fun.
Your suggestion would make a lot of sense if my wife and I had a place to store it. Due to the frequent job and accompanying geography changes in both of our careers, we've decided to do apartment living from now until we retire. The beneficial part of the trade off is that after getting rid of my car and all of its associated expenses, I get to walk to work . The boat may come, whether large or small, but probably not until after we retire and settle into our own home.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:46 AM   #67
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I need to add another item to my list. It's a 2.2 pound raft for backpacking. I just missed buying the last one in stock about three months ago. The guy has a new prototype he is working on that is suppose to be lighter yet. I'm hoping I can get one in the next month.

FlytePacker Packraft | FlyWeight DesignsLess Weight, More Adventure
Old 05-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #68

new skis and golf clubs ... both are 7 yo and pretty beat-up.

But seeing that the kids have out grown thiers ... they need new ones (I only want new ones)
Old 05-21-2013, 03:58 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
1. Trade in my mandolin ($5-6K) for an octave mandolin.
2. Trade in my current bicycle (Bacchetta Giro 26....weighs a ton) for a Bacchetta carbon 2.0....(doesn't weigh a ton)

That's it....my needs are simple....but expensive, although not for some of you. I could buy a good octave mandolin for $3k, but the bike would cost $4-5K. Final product would only put me in the hole for$2-3K extra. To some...this is still a drop in the bucket.

What do you want......but don't need? And I'm NOT talking about buying an aircraft carrier for your cruises....or a personal jet to fly to Europe...keep it within reality. I could easily have said a 400,000+ house in N Yorkshire....NOT realistic, at least not for me. I still kind of like this house..but it doesn't have a garage.
2 bedroom terraced house for sale in Chevin Side, Otley, LS21
My wife is back now for a visit....it's snowing in places.....
A new point and shoot for the next vacation in 12 days. I hate carrying around all the lenses and and camera bodies so a few yrs. ago I started
bringing cheaper easier to carry cameras. now I want to upgrade my point and shoot
I really do not need it but the low light feature, better quality and easier
to carry than my current had me thinking I should get it.
should be here tomorrow.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:20 PM   #70

Recumbent bike: NOCOM
Maybe a sailboat or a folding canoe.
S&W .460V for the very small possibility of a very hungry and determined
bear lol
Not much else.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:07 PM   #71

Hmmmm, a NOCOM.....don't know if I would want to be that close to the ground. When I started riding a recumbent while living in N Yorkshire.....would have been suicide to get something like a NOCOM.....dry stone walls (rock walls) are all over the place and even with a Bacchetta I could barely see over them.....and a car WOULD NOT be able to see you. Probably be ok where I live now.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:42 PM   #72

After another crappy experience with a Dell laptop and Dell's non-existant post-sales support , I joined DW and made the switch to a Mac Air. More expensive but, so far, I am very happy.

That said, with the Mac Air being so easy to carry around, it is unlikely that I will decide to replace my original version iPad when it eventually dies so I can just about persuade myself that I am not actually spending any more.

Upgraded my Canon EOS 5D to a 5Diii late last year. I'd had the 5D for about 7 years and it was begining to fail on me and the software was not compatible with current operating systems. I could have gone for a cheaper camera but decided to splurge - I like taking photos and intend to spend more time on it once I FIRE.

Took DW to Cambodia for our wedding anniversary - not sure if that is classified as a need or a want but it was a great experience. Angkor Wat and the other temples around Siem Reap were amazing.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:00 PM   #73

My laptop (Dell)just died as well yesterday. Luckily still had an old netbook that is really slow but works. Just going through the "what to buy" search. Trying to lean away from Dell as well....been with them for a long while. I will likely replace with a 17" desktop replacement.....I don't have to carry it further than the couch..... just trying to decide whether to go with a basic model for under $1000 or a go a little over and get something a little beefier. Apple doesn't seem to go for the over 15" screens. But I guess this kind of fits into the need catagory....not want. Still wonder about a desktop....but can't drag that to the couch very easily.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
My laptop (Dell)just died as well yesterday. Luckily still had an old netbook that is really slow but works. Just going through the "what to buy" search. Trying to lean away from Dell as well....been with them for a long while. I will likely replace with a 17" desktop replacement.....I don't have to carry it further than the couch..... just trying to decide whether to go with a basic model for under $1000 or a go a little over and get something a little beefier. Apple doesn't seem to go for the over 15" screens. But I guess this kind of fits into the need catagory....not want. Still wonder about a desktop....but can't drag that to the couch very easily.
You could go with a smaller lap top for portability and a larger monitor for the office - if I ever decide I need a bigger screen than 13" that would be my preferred set up.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:28 AM   #75
gone traveling

top of the range Jaguar XJ
what more can a man want
Old 05-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #76

The NOCOM has limitations on where it can be ridden, for sure, just like my CT7. I ride it in a small town with a flag, but would ride neither in real city traffic. But it's one cool bike, you must admit lol.