Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
That's exactly the same one I got.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2012, 08:54 PM   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
I installed gutter guards that I purchased at menards for about $1 per 3 ft. section. I have oak trees and pine trees all the way around my house and was cleaning them every time there was a storm, now the only problem is pine needles and only at the spot where the downspouts connect to the gutter, and then maybe only once or twice a year.
This whole thread has made me very glad that we have seven-inch gutters. I clean our gutters in May, just before opening day of hurricane season, and don't have to touch them again for another year. The worst problem we've had has been a few palm frond piling up over a downspout, and they tend to float when the rain is going down the spout.

Judging from all the scary stories about wobbly balance and falling, I can see that I should keep on doing taekwondo for the rest of my life. But, geez, I wish there was a less painful way to keep up with aging proprioception.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:13 AM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

I highly recommend viewing this site for things "NOT" to do regarding the ladder and gutter cleaning.

Safety Tips
Old 04-02-2012, 07:36 AM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I gotta add my own stories: I was on roof of my 2-story house, about 4 years ago, to caulk/tar a small seam where chimney met the roof {had a small leak going into the bathroom}. While up there I had an epiphany - "WTF am I doing up here??" Getting back on the ladder FROM the roof was sheer terror, despite my adult son assuring me my foot was on the rung. Nothing happened, but that was the last time I'll ever do that.
A month ago I was on a "simple" 6 foot ladder painting a sloped ceiling. I must've leaned the wrong way and took a nasty fall. No serious injuries, but my head missed the desk edge by INCHES. Needless to say, ladders are off limits for me rest of my life.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:08 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52
I gotta add my own stories: I was on roof of my 2-story house, about 4 years ago, to caulk/tar a small seam where chimney met the roof {had a small leak going into the bathroom}. While up there I had an epiphany - "WTF am I doing up here??" Getting back on the ladder FROM the roof was sheer terror, despite my adult son assuring me my foot was on the rung. Nothing happened, but that was the last time I'll ever do that.
A month ago I was on a "simple" 6 foot ladder painting a sloped ceiling. I must've leaned the wrong way and took a nasty fall. No serious injuries, but my head missed the desk edge by INCHES. Needless to say, ladders are off limits for me rest of my life.
I have had a similar epiphany when getting ON the ladder FROM the roof. Shortly after when I replaced the aging gutters I had the installers include guards. To me, worth the extra dough.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:47 AM   #66

Was in Costco yesterday for some grocery shopping and noticed they had a special display of those Little Giant laddars. Those laddars always seemed so versitile and I've wondered whether to pick one up. Anyone have one of these?
Old 04-02-2012, 09:59 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Was in Costco yesterday for some grocery shopping and noticed they had a special display of those Little Giant laddars. Those laddars always seemed so versitile and I've wondered whether to pick one up. Anyone have one of these?

I have one, but not the Little Giant brand... heck, I think it is Costco, but since I did not buy it in a Costco I am not sure.... I think I bought it in Home Depot...

But, the ladder IS great.... I can arrange it to do a number of things... a couple that I like is that you can have one side on something higher than the other by having that side a bit shorter... Or, having one side go straight up and the other leaning out... this allows you to get right next to a wall...

I have not taken mine apart and made it a scaffold, but I have seen that in pics... you need a cross beam to do this....

They are a bit heavier, but if you can handle that, it is good to go...
Old 04-02-2012, 10:06 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I have had one for 15 years, and I love it. It can do ANYTHING you need. Well built, and aluminum so no rust, and sturdy. You will love it!!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, I have a similar type, and it is quite versatile.

I'd love a telescoping ladder, but those are too expensive.

Quote:
Getting back on the ladder FROM the roof was sheer terror,
The dangerous thing is that you can get quite used to that, and then it's no longer scary. I used to feel that way, but after a while I would do it without feeling scared at all.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Too expensive compared to what?

We have a closet with an attic access hatch (not a door), and the only ladder I've been able to get in there is a Telestep (http://www.telesteps.net/1400T.jpg). Craiglist usually has them being sold by frustrated wannabe home inspectors.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:16 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Based upon this http:lRoofers blast new safety rules as bad for business It appears that the ladder rule is separate from the rule for roofers. Recently when a number of neighbors had roofs replaced after a storm I did not see any such equipment. Of course being in a rural area in Tx OSHA folks may not find it healthy to visit here.
A childhood friend recently passed away after falling about 6 feet. Since he was doing contracting work all of his working life, it was assumed that he had a heart attack or some such thing. The coroner said that the cause of death was from the trauma of the fall.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Yes, I have a similar type, and it is quite versatile.

The dangerous thing is that you can get quite used to that, and then it's no longer scary. I used to feel that way, but after a while I would do it without feeling scared at all.
Scared is good. They make you watch the electrical safety info every 2 years at w*rk so that you will stay scared (and respectful) of the hazards.
Still, one cannot just give up going on the roof or running the chain saw before it is time to. One should be very, very careful with these situations.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

I have a colonial with an attached garage. I use two short ladders - one to get on the garage roof and a second one to climb from the garage roof to the house roof. Much less scary, at least for me. DW is still petrified, for me.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #74

So many people do not use an extension ladder correctly. I first observed the issue when I was a kid. Everyone who got on a roof raised the extension ladder until the top of it was at most 1 rung beyond the gutter. Then they went up, and crawled over the top of the ladder onto the roof. To get back down, they sort of went on all fours, stuck a foot over and down the top of the ladder, and felt around blindly for a rung. Then they backed over and down. Looked real clumsy and risky to me.

I thought this was stupid. Why not extend the ladder further, like 4 rungs or so beyond the gutter. Then when your feet reach the rung even with, or just below the gutter, step sideways and up onto the roof with the other foot. Hold onto the projecting ladder to steady oneself. To return, just turn around backward and step off the roof onto the ladder.

I suggested it, and was told to shut up, what did I know about ladders!

So when I had my own house, and my own ladder, my way is the way I did it. Not scary at all. Many years later, I saw it described in a magazine as the proper method. Still see people doing it wrong.
Old habits die hard... literally?
Old 04-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
So many people do not use an extension ladder correctly. I first observed the issue when I was a kid. Everyone who got on a roof raised the extension ladder until the top of it was at most 1 rung beyond the gutter. Then they went up, and crawled over the top of the ladder onto the roof. To get back down, they sort of went on all fours, stuck a foot over and down the top of the ladder, and felt around blindly for a rung. Then they backed over and down. Looked real clumsy and risky to me.

I thought this was stupid. Why not extend the ladder further, like 4 rungs or so beyond the gutter. Then when your feet reach the rung even with, or just below the gutter, step sideways and up onto the roof with the other foot. Hold onto the projecting ladder to steady oneself. To return, just turn around backward and step off the roof onto the ladder.

I suggested it, and was told to shut up, what did I know about ladders!

So when I had my own house, and my own ladder, my way is the way I did it. Not scary at all. Many years later, I saw it described in a magazine as the proper method. Still see people doing it wrong.

That is the correct way to do it IF your ladder will go that high.... I have done it myself... getting onto the roof with a step ladder...

But talk about scary.... when I read your post I remember getting on the roof of our house when I was a kid... man, thinking about it scares the heck out of me now... we would climb up on our fence that was connected to the house, reach up and pull ourselves up onto the roof, while at the same time making sure we did not hit the electricity line coming from the pole that attached to the house at that same location

We got down by just jumping off..... what kids will do....
Old 04-04-2012, 11:04 PM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
Still see people doing it wrong.
You would think that the Darwin Awards would eventually winnow that out, but unfortunately too many of them manage to breed and pass on their genes before having their own Darwin Awards ceremony...

Old 04-05-2012, 07:02 AM   #77
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wonder if insurance would cover this accident?
Attached Images
File Type: png 1.png (265.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: png 3.png (203.9 KB, 27 views)
File Type: png 5.png (267.3 KB, 30 views)
Old 04-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

More on the Gutter Sense tool. It works better with the $40 16' extension pole I bought. It's a little like fishing, since you can't see what you're going for. Often you close the jaws and come up empty.

I was thinking that I should put a camera on the end of the pole, set the timed release, and get a shot from above.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:09 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

I would suggest duct tape and an iPhone, set up to Facetime another iPhone down on the ground. Real time remote gutter cleaning.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:36 PM   #80

Isn't there an app for that?

(well, somebody had to say it )