Want to have a heart attack? Use Fidelity CD ladder tool

Spock

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
/rant on
Got a bizzare text message claiming to be a Fidelity alert this morning.
It claimed I just had a 50000 @ $100 transaction complete (that totals $5,000,000... a wee bit more than my entire extended families net worth).
Since I didn't have any transactions scheduled for this week and no transactions @ $100 prices, I thought it was a scam text... but I did have 6 CD ladder rung scheduled for next week.
So I log onto Fidelity's website and find the xaction code was REAL (panic shift into high gear), but the web link for that code was "unavailable" (panic shift into over drive).
I go to the Fidelity orders page an it is showing one of the CDs set to close next week closed today instead... and it shows a qty=50,000 at $100 each, but the total is $50,000. It was supposed to be 50 CDs at $1000 each.

Turns out Fidelity doesn't know the difference between a % sign and a $ sign. What they where trying to tell me is that the order
a) completed a week early... supposedly if it sells out they complete it early, but interest still won't start for another week.
b) was for 100% of par (its a CD...)
c) It took 90 minutes on hold with 4 different people to find out "we know that message is confusing and we keep telling "them" to fix it"

/rant off
as you were.

Back
Top Bottom