Wanted: Lockable Box for Securing Laptop in Car

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I'm going to go on a car trip this summer, and I want to take my laptop with me. My concern is leaving the laptop in the car when I'm out surfing or doing other things.

I'd like to find a lockable box that I would lock to a seatpost or other fixed part of the car. It would also be hidden, of course.

The closest I've found is this: Autosafe, which would cost $384. Not worth the cost.

I just need a metal box that's going to deter the casual smash and grab thief.

Any ideas?

If you are just worried about a smash and grab... I suggest the trunk. Chances are you will be ok.

I would go with the trunk. The "autosafe" box, when seen inside of a car, would only tend to make the thief more prone to get to it -- may even decide to steal the whole car to see what is inside of that box (cash, jewels, or whatever).

For added protection, you could get a steel laptop security cable and attach it to the body of the car in the trunk.

My trunk is accessible from the passenger compartment, so it will be no safer there then hidden on the floor. If I put it in a safe, I'd put the safe on the floor of the back seat, and cover it wil junky looking stuff so that it's totally out of site.

Another option is to secure it with a security cable that's attached to the security slot on the laptop. The slot on my computer doesn't look that strong -- what's the story on these?

If a thief really wants the laptop, he will take it no matter what. The security cable is merely to make it somewhat more difficult so that the amateur thief will go somewhere else for easier pickings.

You could also get one of those devices that sets off an alarm if the laptop gets too far away from a certain receiver. Typically, people put the receiver in their pocket, but I see no reason you couldn't mount it in the car, so that if someone walks away with the laptop, it will set off the alarm.

I use a cable lock to secure my laptop to hotel room furniture when I travel. The cable lock is easy to defeat with a simple set of heavy-duty wire cutters, but it is enough to keep an honest person honest. If you assume that a person breaking into your car wouldn't have bolt cutters/dykes/etc, then a cable lock might be enough (together with concealing the laptop).

Now, if you really want to go over the top (my preferred approach to these projects) you could go to an Army surplus store and buy a big ammo can (here's a site with a bunch of them. I would think the can for 20mm ammo would be big enough for a small laptop, and the can for 40mm ammo would accomodate a big laptop and all accessories. http://www.colemans.com/ammocan.htm). Have a local welding shop weld a short length of chain to the lid and another short length to the box (or use a gate hasp if you want to get fancy). Use a good padlock to lock the lid down tight and to lock the box to the body of your car (there's usually beefy structure exposed in the trunk). Of course put some good foam rubber in there--you can probably find that at the Army surplus store, too). Maybe paint it white to keep it a couple of degrees cooler, though I think heat is going to be a problem. Label it as "fishing bait" ;)

Non sequitur said:
It's going to get very hot in the car on a sunny day.

I'd be concerned with the heat too - computer parts generally don't respond well to repeated large swings in temperature. If your car sits in the sun for a couple hours, a case/backpack probably won't help much unless it's vacuum sealed...

Al...Put it on the dashboard with a note on it "Old 286, 128MB ram for sale!!!"

If that doesnt work, say its a Mac....or put it in a Sentry safe!

http://www.pelican-case.com/

The nice thing is most of them are water-proof also. My dad owns a dive shop and sells a lot of these for underwater cameras, etc.

I have a large one I use for my dive gear when I fly. The dang thing is pretty much indestructable :D

Thanks, Warthog! Turns out I have a Pelican Case, and the laptop fits in it! I found a way to lock it.

As for the heat issue, I've found that something placed on the floor with a sleeping bag and other insulating materials over it can stay cooler than the rest of the car for a long time. When camping, we create a super-cooler by wrapping the regular cooler with pillows, jackets, sleeping bags, etc.

Hey, if you put it in your trunk bottom side down, nobody'd notice.

Sell it to you cheap Al! For you, just the $49AR I paid for it, and i'll knock off a couple of bucks for the scratches on the door and throw in a can of spray paint.

Throw in a roll of duct tape, and you've got yourself a deal.

Back
Top Bottom