Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-31-2008, 08:15 AM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

And be absolutely, positively sure that your production company doesnt end up in some obscure international index fund.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2008, 09:19 AM   #122
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
I'm not even clear on what you are arguing.
Me neither because I didnt think I was arguing. But if you are, maybe you oughta figure out what you're arguing about first, then it'll be clear.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:33 PM   #123
Recycles dryer sheets

I didn't realize that there were laws against stuff like this. If so the media should be given the death penalty every day. Without consent they can make you out to be a murderer or other horrible things and post your picture on thier station and make a fortune selling ED drugs off YOUR image. Look at this girl that is on the news constantly now named Kacy they have pictures of her dirty dancing without her consent and are making a fortune off of it and that is perfectly legal. Or tabliods putting all sorts of horrible pictures out there with malicious intent...all perfectly legal. But if you want to take a picture of someone because you think they are hot then you go to jail

Although in our society that probably should not surprise me!

My own morals see it like this. If someone wants to take a picture of someone to just show thier friend or keep it just for themself I think it's fine. I have had people take a picture of me or of my girlfriend and I was ok with it...it's flattering. But if you are going to use the picture for malicious reasons like the media does you are super duper scum. And if you are making money off of it like the media does in bucket fulls not only should you have to get consent but also share in the profits....after all it's your face that is now selling the ED drugs!

I didn't want to hijack this thead too much with my rant so back to the OP.

I won't tear into you too much but when I first read your post I didn't think you were serious!

I don't know the age and gender of most of the posters on this thread by I assume you are mostly older guys. I think you are missing the mark buy a lot on how women view this. My experiences are completely different!

Lets swich the genders...would it have been ok to do that if a girl was taking picturse of a guy?? And if a girl was taking pictures of you would you want that done to her or would you be flattered?? If someone did that to a girl that was taking my picture I would be really upset.

When I was in HS I had a girlfriend that had a chest like Dolly Parton and she was quite proud of it. She would construct her wardrobe to show it off. She would let me know in detail about how many guys hit on her and what they said and so on. For SURE she would have been bragging about someing taking her picture for weeks.

Maybe I hung around one too many part time models or exotic dancers growing up but I would bet 8 of ten women that are wearing a low cut shirt would not be upset that some guy was doing that!

I have hung out with girls that dressed pretty skimpy to say the least and they do draw the attention. I never had to fight anyone over it. People would stare and guys as old as my dad would ask me if she was my girlfriend and make lewd remarks. People would hit on these girls when I was nearby and whistle at them. Even other women talk to them and even insult them. I would have to be rocky or mike tyson if I was to get in a fight with everyone that is looking at the girls I was in public with. She can handle herself and if it bothers her she can get dressed she has to deal with it when I'm not there. If someone is being mean to her or hitting her I would step in but the same holds true for if it was one of my guy friends.

Not to say there isn't ladies that would want a guy to get the death penalty for looking at her because there is. But IMO the majority do not think that way.

If it happens again tell the girl that someone is trying to take her picture and see what she says.....I bet she probably would laugh or be flattered.

On being a pervert. I look at women all the time when I'm in public.....women look at guys too......it's NORMAL!

I didn't mean to offend anyone with my post but my experiences have been different.

Jim
summer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 07:09 PM   #124
Give me a forum ...

I agree with you Jim, I think this thread is essentially insane. But if you read it, you'll see that many women posters also thought The Fed was a hero, rather than an overwrought adrenaline addict.

People are all different. When I was 16 I had a really good looking 17 year old blond girlfriend. We were walking down the street in medium sized city and at a light an older guy comes up to me on my side and away from the girl. He said, "Do you have a gun? "I said, "A gun, lord no, why would I have a gun?" So he said, "Sonny, you need a gun if you are going around with a women like that." Well this really flattered me because I thought she was just a girl. But on finding out that she was a real woman, I decided that he was right, and bought his S&W .38 Spcl Model 10 for the sum of $15. So people really do see this man/woman thing in various ways.

Another thing I woujld like to mention is that someone who thinks a guy is going to take photos for his sexual interset is deluded. Who cares if a woman has big breasts, have you seen what is on the internet lately?

Ha
Old 08-31-2008, 08:04 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer2007 View Post

If it happens again tell the girl that someone is trying to take her picture and see what she says.....

Jim
I think that is an excellent point. After all, it was the young woman's privacy that was possibly being invaded, she should have a say in it. Should we confront him, call in security, etc?

Two possible outcomes:

A) She didn't care or was flattered (not so likely IMO, but possible)

B) She would be upset - by dealing with it she learns that this stuff can happen, and can take measures in the future. Should she call security, ignore it, etc?

Difficult to tell from the OP, but either this girl is so well endowed that discreet clothing does not hide that fact, or she was dressed to show it off. Either way, she is going to have to learn to deal with it. 'protecting' her from embarrassment as thefed seems to have attempted doesn't really help, long term.

BTW- thefed is a young guy, mid-late 20's I think?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:19 PM   #126
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
someone who thinks a guy is going to take photos for his sexual interset is deluded. Who cares if a woman has big breasts, have you seen what is on the internet lately?
Yeah, you might think that.. but then what was the guy doing, then? Maybe there is an element of the personal 'hunt' that excites this amateur photographer.

The same thing ("why?") crossed my mind when I visited the Villa Borghese and saw a German-looking guy creepily taking photos of the 'salient' parts of nude statues and trying not to attract attention that he was focusing just on the boobs.

ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:01 AM   #127

This thread is ridiculous. Not just the topic but also the amount of analysis that has gone into it. Is it just me or does anyone else read the thread and sort of laugh?
Old 09-01-2008, 08:28 AM   #128

Quote:
Yeah, you might think that.. but then what was the guy doing, then? Maybe there is an element of the personal 'hunt' that excites this amateur photographer.

The same thing ("why?") crossed my mind when I visited the Villa Borghese and saw a German-looking guy creepily taking photos of the 'salient' parts of nude statues and trying not to attract attention that he was focusing just on the boobs.

Well, your story was believable until you mentioned that the guy is German. Germans are pretty liberal when it comes to sex. Have you seen the show Liebe Sunde or any of the neighborhood live sex show places co-existing quite nicely with neighbor shops and residences? (Honey, I'm going out for some tomatoes. Do you want me to bring home some live sex show?) Why would the guy need to furtively take pictures of a marble statute?
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:38 AM   #129
Recycles dryer sheets

Why would the guy need to furtively take pictures of a marble statute?
===

Maybe because to him, for whatever reason, the 'furtiveness' is part of the turn on?

That doesn't float my boat, but then I'm not the dictator of the world (a pity)

ta,

mews
mews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 09:57 AM   #130
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
This thread is ridiculous. Not just the topic but also the amount of analysis that has gone into it. Is it just me or does anyone else read the thread and sort of laugh?
Yup.

Luckily it's managed to stay on topic or I'd have trouble keeping up with the analysis...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:21 AM   #131
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
I bet most of us do that with most of the threads!
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 01:30 PM   #132
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I bet most of us do that with most of the threads!
Most of the time.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 01:49 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
Well, your story was believable until you mentioned that the guy is German. ... Why would the guy need to furtively take pictures of a marble statute?
Why would I make up such a thing? Maybe he was from some other country but he had a squarish sort of head, blunt features, white, ruddy complexion, glasses, blondish but mostly grey brush cut hair, and was wearing shorts with knee socks and sandals (a decidedly German-tourist look), and he had BO. He was absolutely not Italian or American. It doesn't really matter where he was from since as ha noted you can get most anything on the Internet. As to why anyone would take furtive photos of a statue I cannot say.. that's exactly why I remember him, because he was acting so oddly. He looked like someone that might live in his mother's basement.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:51 PM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
he had BO
Well thats it right there, cut and dried...
Old 09-01-2008, 01:57 PM   #135

sorry.. if you travel in France and Germany you just do come across a higher ambient BO quotient. Sue me. And anyway, who cares? I shouldn't even have responded to BunsGettingFirm calling me out on the German thing. The guy was taking pictures in a creepy way; end of story.
Old 09-01-2008, 01:58 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Why would I make up such a thing? Maybe he was from some other country but he had a squarish sort of head, blunt features, white, ruddy complexion, glasses, blondish but mostly grey brush cut hair, and was wearing shorts with knee socks and sandals (a decidedly German-tourist look), and he had BO. He was absolutely not Italian or American. It doesn't really matter where he was from since as ha noted you can get most anything on the Internet. As to why anyone would take furtive photos of a statue I cannot say.. that's exactly why I remember him, because he was acting so oddly. He looked like someone that might live in his mother's basement.
He might have been a plastic surgeon trying to improve his breast augmentation skills. Or a psychology or art history professor doing a monograph on the evolution of portrayal of the female breast in Western art.

Sometimes I think some of you ladies can get an exaggerated idea of the power of your looks.

Ha
Old 09-01-2008, 02:04 PM   #137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Maybe he was from some other country but he had a squarish sort of head, blunt features, white, ruddy complexion, glasses, blondish but mostly grey brush cut hair, and was wearing shorts with knee socks and sandals (a decidedly German-tourist look), and he had BO.
Oh, he had BO, of course he was German. Thanks LadelFina for insulting my houseguest of this past weekend who is now on a plane back to Germany and for affirming my earlier decision to put you on ignore--too bad that feature can't screen out quotes from ignorees too.
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 02:36 PM   #138

Quote:
Oh, he had BO, of course he was German. Thanks LadelFina for insulting my houseguest of this past weekend who is now on a plane back to Germany and for affirming my earlier decision to put you on ignore--too bad that feature can't screen out quotes from ignorees too.
Ya the whole quote thingy kinda breaks down the ignore feature.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 03:48 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Eh, if it werent for that, half of the really ridiculous things some people say would go unnoticed.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:51 PM   #140

Quote:
...too bad that feature can't screen out quotes from ignorees too.
True. I ran across this same problem earlier, and I was amazed and stunned at the biased ignorance of the quotes I read from someone on my ignore list. I started to reply, but then I realized it made no sense to argue with someone like that and there was a good reason they were on the ignore list in the first place..