Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-01-2008, 04:56 PM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
True. I ran across this same problem earlier, and I was amazed and stunned at the biased ignorance of the quotes I read from someone on my ignore list. I started to reply, but then I realized it made no sense to argue with someone like that and there was a good reason they were on the ignore list in the first place..
Im sorry. I try to keep my dumb factor low.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2008, 05:08 PM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Im sorry. I try to keep my dumb factor low.
Funny. I can live with dumb, we all say dumb things every now and then. It's the habitual and virulent stupid that set me off. Three made it to that list, two of which have stopped posting shortly after the ignore feature came into use. One lingers on.....

Old 09-01-2008, 05:17 PM   #143
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Wow, only 3? I have ~35. But half of them are the same half dozen peoples different usernames.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 05:20 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Wow, only 3? I have ~35. But half of them are the same half dozen peoples different usernames.
You still pissed about the Rickroll?
Old 09-01-2008, 05:21 PM   #145
Give me a forum ...

Did someone just say something?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:23 PM   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Did someone just say something?
Yes, I said snaaaakkkke and mussshroooom
Old 09-01-2008, 06:01 PM   #147

i cant believe people actually use the ignore feature. i enjoy reading things from those i ignore.....

figure that one out
Old 09-01-2008, 06:18 PM   #148

me, too. thefed.. I like that you stood up for the lady. I just don't want you to get hurt next time.

If Mr. Creepy had a less-than-sexual interest in the statues' boobies he wouldn't have acted so surreptitiously and like he was ashamed; he would have just straightforwardly photographed as many others were doing.

And to the people who didn't like my description .. phooey!. You would make terrible detectives. Hands up all you complainers who think little old ladies shouldn't be searched and that we should do terrorist profiling.... aha!

I honestly don't know what the big deal is.. if I see a guy in an orange or green suit, 99% probability he is Italian. If I see a lady with a teal windbreaker, white sneakers, an eyeshade and a fanny pack, maybe 90% sure she is American. I think people who are so easily offended just like being offended.. so enjoy the heck out of yourselves.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:23 PM   #149
Give me a forum ...

I'm sincerely offended by your assumption that I'm easily offended or offended in any way.

Maybe Mr. Creepy lost a bet with his buddies and had to to it as a gag.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:02 PM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Maybe Mr. Creepy is a performance artist, and you became part of the performance?

Check You-Tube.

Ha
Old 09-01-2008, 08:20 PM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Funny. I can live with dumb, we all say dumb things every now and then. It's the habitual and virulent stupid that set me off. Three made it to that list, two of which have stopped posting shortly after the ignore feature came into use. One lingers on.....

Hmmm, it is a wonder about that mysterious "stopped posting" thing that happens to some of those "most ignored" posters...consider that your moderators may have had some influence in that miracle....

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 08:56 PM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Hmmm, it is a wonder about that mysterious "stopped posting" thing that happens to some of those "most ignored" posters...consider that your moderators may have had some influence in that miracle....

I fought my curiosity from years of habit. Sometimes when problems mysteriously disappear in the night it's best not to know or even be curious. The prudent are grateful and move on. Can I send you a name?

Glad to see you guys and gals are working hard to make it nicer here. Thank you.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:30 PM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Our moderators are the electronic version of John Clark...

John Clark
Old 09-01-2008, 09:58 PM   #154

CFB.. nah, a lone wolf. Awwooo.

Seriously, I am trying to figure out what the big deal is and I guess it is the mention of body odor which has everyone wigged out.

The thing is, I don't mind 'light to medium' body odor and actually kind of like it in some cases. I also don't mind the smell of skunk, which I find similar.

If the guy had been American, it's very likely he wouldn't have had any noticeable odor, because it is the American habit to take frequent showers, especially among the economic class of people who are likely to spend thousands and thousands on European travel. So I pegged Mr. Creepy as "continental". What someone might categorize as "virulently stupid" to me is merely an objective observation.

I don't think the people taking offense here understand that other places have other behaviors. Italians think Americans, British and others have filthy habits because they don't use bidets after they poop. They're in every home here and often in offices and even public lavatories. In Germany bidets are quite rare, but instead one finds toilets with shelves so that one can examine what one has produced. Conversely, Italians in a lot of areas leave trash all over the roadsides and beaches, which is disgusting and which I doubt would be tolerated in Germany, where they have you separate your trash for recycling, not just paper/plastic/glass, etc. but into eleven different categories. Did I make the world this way? No, but I find it interesting. Europe is a patchwork quilt, not a melting pot; it's not all so homogenized as in the US.

Discussion Forum > Life in Germany:
I'm wearing sandals and white socks
Quote:
Relax, take it easy and think how great it is that you live in Germany. They wear white socks with sandals to weddings here.
Quote:
What makes you so damn sure that THE germans are the only one's doing it or this is supposed to be a typical cultural trait of a german? ... [etc.]
Quote:
No doubt that some British people wear white socks and sandals - the point is that you look like a numpty, and people will ridicule you for it in England. In Germany, I've seen directors go to meetings wearing a suit, white socks, and sandals, and nobody bats an eyelid.
That noted.. the forum does record the spread of this phenomenon, but one also may distinguish between the TEVA-style sandal, the German-origin but now more global Birkenstock, and mandals that have a certain 'something':

Old 09-02-2008, 04:54 PM   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
me, too. thefed.. I like that you stood up for the lady. I just don't want you to get hurt next time.

If Mr. Creepy had a less-than-sexual interest in the statues' boobies he wouldn't have acted so surreptitiously and like he was ashamed; he would have just straightforwardly photographed as many others were doing.

And to the people who didn't like my description .. phooey!. You would make terrible detectives. Hands up all you complainers who think little old ladies shouldn't be searched and that we should do terrorist profiling.... aha!

I honestly don't know what the big deal is.. if I see a guy in an orange or green suit, 99% probability he is Italian. If I see a lady with a teal windbreaker, white sneakers, an eyeshade and a fanny pack, maybe 90% sure she is American. I think people who are so easily offended just like being offended.. so enjoy the heck out of yourselves.
Hm...? I'm not offended. I'm just surprised that a guy would prefer marble boobies over real ones. I guess those German live sex show places really need to firm up their marketing plans a bit more.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:11 PM   #156

boh.. looking back I guess bestwifeever was, for one.. then there was some cryptic kerfluffle about ignoring.

Different countries have different habits!! Not my personal bigotry, bias, or fault.
bestwifeever.. I'll post this for ya.. but I guess you'll not see it..

just some ideas..
Hygiene Poll Bares Source Of the French Je Sais Quoi - New York Times

Quote:
In the early 1980s Germans remained high spenders on skin creams. The French remained low users of deodorants (and soap) compared to the British and Germans, but far greater consumers of fragrances. Over a quarter of the entire French beauty market was fragrances compared to 8 per cent in Germany, while French per capita consumption was twice that of Britain and Germany.
http://www.international.ucla.edu/cm..._Von_Gremp.pdf
Old 09-02-2008, 06:32 PM   #157
Give me a forum ...

Old 09-02-2008, 06:36 PM   #158
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Two shovels? Ah hah! I get it - you're reminding ladelfina of the first rule of holes.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:38 PM   #159
Give me a forum ...

Looked like she has a chance of wearing one out.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:53 PM   #160

heaven forfend.. one I'm gonna bop you over the head with... and the other I'm gonna offer to bestwife so she can dig a "turkish" toilet for the next time she has guests from abroad.