Join Early Retirement Today

Was I in the wrong for 'roughing' this guy up?
Old 08-24-2008, 07:00 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Was I in the wrong for 'roughing' this guy up?

Well,of course I was. But it felt to be a good situation for it....and it was instinctual (dont know if this is good or bad?)

We were at the closing ceremony for a 60-mile breast cancer walk that my MIL participated in. We were there with about 12 people in our group.

As were were waiting for the walkers to arrive, I noticed the guy in front of me had is cell phone on...and the camera on....aimed right at a girl in my party. It was pointed right at her chest...and without looking at his camera he snapped the pic (very discreetly....I was certainly the only person in the place with a view of his screen). It came out blurry so he casually snapped a few more....pretending like he was on the phone, 'stretching' his arms into the air...etc. He even got a nice butt-shot!

Then I saw him text-message the picture to someone on his contact list. By this point, I was fuming, but keeping it to myself. Hindsight says go tell security and have the phone examined....but I was beyond that. The guy waited about 5 mins. and started again....all the while the girl from my party was oblivious. I didnt know her personally so I didnt want to mention it and embarrass her...because she had nowhere to hide them....

So when he went to snap the 5th pic, I said "Knock that sh!t off!" Firmly, but quiet enough nobody heard. He looked at me and said "What?" with a bewildered look on his phace. I said "Don't play stupid with me, I've been watching you for 10 minutes" He said "Calm down dude...you're crazy." as he nervously searches for and deletes several pics with one eye on me and one on the phone. "Get the f$3k outta here right now" I said as I pointed to the other end of the building, "GO!". He slowly meandered toward me and said "You dont know me" I said "You're a f-ing pervert....get out of here before I embarrass you" And I scruffed him by the tricep are and walked him a few feet to give him some momentum. It took all I had not to lay this pervert on the ground....but it wasnt the time nor place.

Normally I wouldnt even say anything, ya know? let the perv go get his rocks off later (he was about 28 yrs old...bigger guy maybe 6ft-220lbs nicely dressed....didnt look like a stereotypical perv). But dont be taking boob shots of women you dont know at a BREAST CANCER event. Have some decency.

My wife saw the end of this and said I shouldnt have touched him,and I agree....but I reached my limit today.
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2008, 07:05 PM   #2

I think you showed a good deal of self control.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:09 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think you are crazy, Galahad.

That is how people get killed.

Ha
Old 08-24-2008, 10:22 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Ha
It probably was a bit risky touching the guy, but I do think you were right to tell him to stop. I wish more guys would call other guys out on their creepy behavior.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:01 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

You weren't wrong thefed, but the pic taking guy missed a golden opportunity when you grabbed his arm. He should have gone down screaming in pain calling for the police and his lawyer.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:04 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiny View Post
It probably was a bit risky touching the guy, but I do think you were right to tell him to stop. I wish more guys would call other guys out on their creepy behavior.
I understand what you mean. When I was a Southern kid, I accepted that a woman's honor was very important, and that I or any other right thinking man should be expected to stand in.

But I got older, and I realized among other things that there were a significant number of ladies who actualy like to be fought over, to cause difficulty and danger for men. Then time went on and I discovered that there is no easier way to get shot than to fail to keep your mouth shut and eyes straight ahead around men and women doing the various things that they do.

Do I think that Fed's group member was harmed by having someone foto her? No. He even said she didn't know any of it. Fed's own woman told him to cool it.

Tell security if you think something has to be done. Or just relax, this was maybe the least important thing that happened all day.

Ha
Old 08-24-2008, 11:29 PM   #7

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 11:49 PM   #8

New look for you lazy?
Old 08-24-2008, 11:53 PM   #9

Funny LGNB!

I started to respond... so if we don't want to end up on "clandestine boob shot .com" or some such then we should just stay home and sit around in our Burqas?? But I held back.

I understand that some women (and men) relish the attention - there are plenty of those to be found without taking creepy stealth photos of someone who has just walked 60 miles for charity.

If someone had been taking those of me, I would be glad to know there is someone like thefed telling them to stop.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:58 PM   #10

glad to see my humor isn't entirely lost. just making the point: know what you're fighting for.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:21 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Fighting for the right to wear something that shows off our boobs?

Fed, when did y'all get married? Congratulations!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 07:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Agreed. Call police/security and embarrass the guy if you do anything. Touching him puts you and your family at risk, although I certainly understand the motivation to stomp his face.

The reality is that he probably didn't do anything that constitutes a violation of any statutes, although in some locales that is changing. Being a creep/jerk/a$$hole is not a crime.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:26 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I think the most I would have done is step in front of the lady to block his view and shake my head at him. He would have got the message.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:29 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Fighting for the right to wear something that shows off our boobs?
From the halls of Montezuma...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:47 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

If you look back at some of thefeds other posts, you will see that he appears to thrive on putting himself in risky situations. And then making himself out to be the hapless victim, or the good guy.

Let's see - a convicted drug felon that was thinking about going into a business on the fringes of the drug trade (hydroponic supplies) that would put him into contact with people in the drug business and their money.

And the time he smarted off to a cop when he found himself in a hotel where a drug bust appeared to be going on...

I think there were others, those two come to mind. Some people are not happy if they are not on the edge. Call security? No fun for thefed would be my take on it.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:50 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
If you look back at some of thefeds other posts, you will see that he appears to thrive on putting himself in risky situations. And then making himself out to be the hapless victim, or the good guy.

Let's see - a convicted drug felon that was thinking about going into a business on the fringes of the drug trade (hydroponic supplies) that would put him into contact with people in the drug business and their money.

And the time he smarted off to a cop when he found himself in a hotel where a drug bust appeared to be going on...

I think there were others, those two come to mind. Some people are not happy if they are not on the edge. Call security? No fun for thefed would be my take on it.

-ERD50

Right on target.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:04 AM   #17
gone traveling

I think you handled it well, and exercised an amazing amount of self restraint. It is always easy to say"if I had been in a similar situation, I would have xxxx" but... a few years ago we were out to dinner with friends when a similar situation arose. My brother saw what was happpening, got up from the table, dropped his napkin on the floor, and casually picked it up as stepped over to the guys table. He greeted him like an old friend, patted him on the shoulder and said something like " it is always good to see you, too bad you were just leaving" and unobtrusively dropped his dirty napkin on the guy's plate. He then continued on to the restroom, and when he returned the guy was long gone. Anyone witnessing it wouldn't have suspected a thing.

I would have been tempted to take his phone away from him, and turn it over to the police. They might have been been interested to see just what else he was taking pictures of. If he was that brazen about it, he has probably been doing this for some time, and probably has quite a collection.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:31 AM   #18

thefed acted appropriately. Sometimes you just have to step up and tell people what they are doing is completely inappropriate. The guy could have pressed charges for battery against thefed. Likewise, the guy could have tried to knock thefed's block off. Yet either action would have exposed his nefarious activities. It sounds like the guy originally hoped thefed would go along with his lascivious behavior, and when thefed didn't, the guy feigned innocence while trying to cover up his tracks.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:04 AM   #19

. . . or you could have just pointed the guy to a more appropriate target -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T Shirt 12.jpg (44.2 KB, 9 views)
Old 08-25-2008, 10:10 AM   #20

Ha! that shirt certainly gets to the point!