Join Early Retirement Today

washer/Dryer Recommendations?
Old 07-17-2015, 12:29 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

washer/Dryer Recommendations?

It seems that there was a thread on this not long ago--but if so I can't find it. I'm in the market for a new washer and dryer. Looking for full size side by side units that do a great job, are not horribly expensive (I don't need anything fancy; no specialty bells and whistles), and are not purposely made to die in a few years. I'm single and do 2-3 small loads a week. Thanks!
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2015, 12:36 PM   #2

I think it depends on your family size and needs, no?

Single, I personally bought an LG washer dryer combo unit (as opposed to separate stacked units) about 10 years ago and it was among the best buying decisions I've ever made. In 10 years, I've had no issues with the unit. The washer and dryer each have several cycles to choose from (hand wash to sanitary on the wash side, several heating settings on the dryer side).

Much like running a dishwasher, once you place clothes in the washer, it's great to not think about the laundry again until it's time to take the clothes out, dried and ready to be put away. The combo unit turned the dreaded laundry chore into something relatively painless (I'll always dislike doing laundry).
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 12:40 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Most libraries have free access to Consuners Reports. They frequently rate washers and dryers.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 01:36 PM   #4

Look at Samsung Products. Watch Lowe's for sales (their installation is excellent BTW), and check out their warrantee add-ons if you are concerned.

Be aware that there is no such thing as plain vanilla washer and dryers anymore (well there are but they cost just as much as the high efficiency ones). The HE machines clean better and dry better than the plain vanilla ones.
Old 07-18-2015, 02:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
not horribly expensive ... and are not purposely made to die in a few years.
No such thing, unfortunately.

I can endorse the Samsung units we bought eight months ago. They were the recommendation we got from our research, and they've been great so far.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 04:39 AM   #6

Agitator style with electro-mechanical timer and controls. Low end ( under $600 )one model each of GE-Hotpoint ( same machine, ge gets ss. basket ) GE quality is likely crap, but easy to repair. High end Speedqueen ( $900 + ), and usually have to order online and have shipped.

Samsung makes great phones, and tv's , but our family has had extremely poor out of warranty parts/service experience with a high end Samsung washer. $1,100 and ended up putting it at the curb just under 3 years old.

Your mileage may vary.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:59 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It seems that there was a thread on this not long ago--but if so I can't find it. I'm in the market for a new washer and dryer. Looking for full size side by side units that do a great job, are not horribly expensive (I don't need anything fancy; no specialty bells and whistles), and are not purposely made to die in a few years. I'm single and do 2-3 small loads a week. Thanks!
Well, a week ago I got a new LG HE top-loading washer and matching dryer with all the bells and whistles, and this system does a fabulous job of cleaning my clothes, just as Consumer Reports said they would. They play pretty little songs when the laundry is done, instead of a loud buzzer, and that is so pleasant. Unfortunately they were not cheap, but I absolutely love doing laundry now. It's almost a form of recreation for me.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:13 AM   #8

W24, I was at a friend's yesterday and she just got new LGs--highly rated by Consumer Reports, she said (she did a lot of research). No doubt they are the same as yours. So I'm looking at these as well as Whirlpool Duet, also highly rated. And yes none of these are cheap. . .but I also like to do laundry and want it to be a happy experience!
Old 07-18-2015, 08:25 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
W24, I was at a friend's yesterday and she just got new LGs--highly rated by Consumer Reports, she said (she did a lot of research). No doubt they are the same as yours. So I'm looking at these as well as Whirlpool Duet, also highly rated. And yes none of these are cheap. . .but I also like to do laundry and want it to be a happy experience!
At my old house (that I moved from earlier this month), I had an old GE washer/dryer set that I bought in 2002 because they were cheap. I think both together came to around $400. Even after all these years, they just wouldn't break! I thought they were great but hated the loud buzzer that always made me jump.

But you know what? My new LG set is removing stains that had already gone through the washer AND dryer at my old house many times. I thought those stains were hopeless! Needless to say, I am very very astonished and impressed, and so happy to be able to wear those clothes out of the house again.

I relied heavily on Consumer Reports in choosing the LG set too. I live alone and normally do 3-4 loads of laundry each week (more than that this week, because of the move). Still, I chose a washer that can handle even king sized comforters just because I thought that would be really cool. It does a great job with the comforters and seems to have no problems with my smaller loads either.

It does take a long time to wash clothes, if that matters to you. It doesn't matter to me, since my washer is so big that I never have more than one load of laundry to do. Depending on the load it can take an hour just to wash.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:27 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

This model was suggested in an earlier thread as a simple, reliable washer:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003O4QDWS/...=IDSE6K5RJLL82

discontinued, this looks like the replacement:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A38F1REGZFNN6L

~ $785

Just passing it along, I don't have any personal experience with these.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:12 AM   #11

W2R, if you would be so kind to pass on the model # of your LGs, that would be great. I'm so busy right now I'm willing to take advice that I trust (my friend, you) without doing the usual research I normally do!
Old 07-18-2015, 10:14 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
W2R, if you would be so kind to pass on the model # of your LGs, that would be great. I'm so busy right now I'm willing to take advice that I trust (my friend, you) without doing the usual research I normally do!

I am flattered! I don't know if my advice is the best at all, but my expressed opinion of this washer/dryer is honest. I am sure other top rated washers are good, too. My opinion is probably affected to some extent by the genuinely huge difference between my old GE set and the new LG set.

The washer I bought was the LG model WT5680HWA. Here's the link to that washer model for more information:

Sears.com

And the gas dryer I bought was the matching one, the LG model DLGX5681W. Here's the link to the dryer:

Sears.com

I got mine from Sears because they were on sale. The washer is listed at $989 at the moment, and the gas dryer at $920. However they are on sale from time to time at about $200-$250 less, for each IIRC. Still, they are not cheap IMO.

CR reviewed the LG WT5680HVA washer, which I think is the same except for the color, and gave it a 73 (the second highest score given to an HE top loading washer; the highest was a 75). The dryer is the matching dryer.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:36 AM   #13

Thank you so much! I'm dealing with rattling 25+ year old units. They work, but poorly. A new set will make me happy! Call me a nerd but I actually love doing laundry. Ironing, not so much
Old 07-18-2015, 11:42 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

You'll love laundry even more, soon!

One safety note: I forgot to say that if you are short, you might want to look at another model. I am 5'9", and I can barely reach the bottom of the washer (inside) when removing laundry after it is done. If I was 5'2", I would worry about falling in head first when trying to reach the bottom - - seriously.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:53 AM   #15

Funny!! When my friend showed me her new LGs yesterday she pulled out a little stool that she uses to get the laundry out! She's tiny--5'2". I'm 5'7" and reached in and could touch the bottom. But it really is a consideration for short people! That reminds me when I did a kitchen remodel at my old house, I put in one of those popular super deep sinks. I hated it! It really is hard to stoop over it--hard on the back!
Old 07-18-2015, 01:57 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Oh good! I am glad you are 5'7" because now i won't have nightmares of you falling in your new washer head first and getting stuck, due to my posts.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:04 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Since there's a current thread running about "crazy to fix a 27-yr old washer", I'm guessing you need to buy something that's at least 27 years old!
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:58 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

After moving to a front loading washer/dryer, I will never go back to a top loader. I just find it so superior that I wouldn't consider anything else.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 02:10 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
After moving to a front loading washer/dryer, I will never go back to a top loader. I just find it so superior that I wouldn't consider anything else.
The only problem with that statement is that so many others feel exactly the opposite. They have a laundry list (pun intended) of issues.

I'm not saying either is right/wrong, but it sure isn't clear to us who have never owned a modern front loader. I lean towards Keep-It-Simple, and an old-style mechanical timer type top loader fits that bill.

I also notice that people point out that the front loaders reduce drying time, since they can re-balance and spin so much faster. Good, but then I also read that the wash cycle is much longer. I asked DW if she waits on the dryer now, and she says mostly no. And if you were in a rush, you could throw the damp-dry clothes from the washer into a basket for a while. So now she'd be waiting even longer on the washer?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 03:26 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
The only problem with that statement is that so many others feel exactly the opposite. They have a laundry list (pun intended) of issues.

I don't see it as a problem. I expressed a personal view. I acknowledge that other people might feel differently. To me, though, I would not consider a top loader. To me the main factors have been:

1. Much easier to get clothes in and out. I'm 5'4" tall so this is a huge issue for me, but even my tall husband finds the front loader far, far more convenient. Front loaders would have to be considerently inferior at washing/drying clothes for me to go back. They aren't so this factor is dispositive.

2. You can put counters over a front loader or can stack them (currently I have mine stacked). If I didn't need to stack, though, I would definitely put counters over them. In our current house, I actually would not have bought the house without being able to stack the washer/dryer so this was a huge factor for us in buying this house.

I don't see the total wash/dry cycle time as being significantly different. Washing time is longer, drying time is shorter so it overall works for me. Again, I realize these are not factors everyone cares about. But, for me, this is how it shakes out.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote