Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-07-2009, 06:24 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
... I don't like dryers...
Just as I was about to second freebird on a combo washer/dryer. What if you do not have clothesline at your next residence?

And why tear up the house? Somebody else will pay you more for the house than just the empty lot, no?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2009, 10:23 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Slightly off topic, but anything with a circuit board should be plugged into a good quality surge protector. The local Costco has a two pack for, I think, $16 - good quality, too.
But, where would one find a 220 VAC, 30 amp surge suppressor?
But, good point. Except for electric ranges and dryers, everything with a circuit board should go through a surge suppressor.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:36 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
But, good point. Except for electric ranges and dryers, everything with a circuit board should go through a surge suppressor.
Better yet, leave electronics out of things that do not need them.

Many years ago, while in college, I helped troubleshooting the turn signal blinker out of a friend's VW Beetle. It had a couple of transistors to form a low-frequency oscillator, which drove a relay. It "got tired" and stopped oscillating, meaning turning on-off alternately. The replacement from the VW dealer was expensive, and he did not have money.

I took it apart, struggled for an hour, but couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. Then, I observed that the darn thing has the same housing and pin-out of the more common bi-metallic blinkers. Went to Pepboys and and got a generic one for a couple of dollars to plug in. It worked great!

So, I completely believe DM's story about her brother's observation of fancy appliances. Yes, I am an EE but, being too honest, would make a very poor salesman of electronics.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:48 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
You can use one of these designed for whole house suppression. The closer you mount it to the device protected, the more effective it is.

SkyMall - Whole House Surge Suppressor

I installed this one (in my breaker box), but I see it has just been discontinued

Panamax Primax Whole-House Surge Suppressor GPP8005 - Smarthome
Old 05-08-2009, 08:12 AM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In Consumer Roport 2009 Best Buying Guide, in the top loading arena, the Best Buy is a GE model WJRE5500G(WW) at $480. Know you could get it cheaper. Be sure to use steel braided supply lines as a burst water line can be a disaster.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:10 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Just as I was about to second freebird on a combo washer/dryer. What if you do not have clothesline at your next residence?

And why tear up the house? Somebody else will pay you more for the house than just the empty lot, no?
The house is falling apart. Just hope it outlasts the cat.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:15 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Nah. It can't be that bad. From previous posts, you have put some money into it for remodeling. You just hated it.

Housing of any kind will require maintenance. They don't call them money pit for nothing. This is where men, who tend to be more handy than women, have an advantage. I would hate my house too, if I have to call a repair man for everything.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:22 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
A discontinued model at a nearby Sears outlet set me back less than $400.
Ditto.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:41 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Nah. It can't be that bad. From previous posts, you have put some money into it for remodeling. You just hated it.

Housing of any kind will require maintenance. They don't call them money pit for nothing. This is where men, who tend to be more handy than women, have an advantage. I would hate my house too, if I have to call a repair man for everything.
This is very true (men tending to be handier ), except in cases where women learned because of necessity or took an interest in diagnostic/repair skills. Or lived alone and were DIYers by choice.
I can hold my own on pretty much everything except power, plumbing, welding, any house exterior repair, and tree removal. I don't do ladders above 6 feet.
I know how to, but can no longer operate power tools that require gripping strength or vibrate heavily.
These areas are the things that get contracted out or delegated to dh2b in return for laundry folding or home-cooked meals, both of which he does not excel at.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:41 PM   #30

I'm hooked on front-loaders after having one for the last 5 years. Virtually no guilt about running small loads as the machine uses only the volume of water necessary for the weight of the load. Tumble method seems to be good for getting things clean and wear on clothes.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:51 PM   #31
Full time employment: Posting here.

My old Maytag started leaking a few months ago -- replaced with a Roper (made by Whirlpool) for $278 at Lowes. It is a basic large capacity top-load washer and seems to do just as well as more expensive machines I've owned.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:59 AM   #32

I have had good experiences with Sears. Machines last 20+ years. I've avoided the top-of-the-line models to stay away from the latest electronics and features most likely to break. I've avoided the bottom of the line models to stay away from some manufacturing line saving money on parts that could limit the useful lifetime of the machine. Since they last such a long time, my experience is limited, but they've been inexpensive and very reliable. I have seen "sales" where which machines get great prices rotates through the lineup they have. Sometimes makes it worthwhile to delay a purchase to catch the "next" sale. Sometimes the sales clerks will even tell you about the future sale.

Be prepared to make a decision and stick to it. Sales must have some incentive to push higher end models, because they will likely try and talk you up the line and lots of what they told me just wasn't true anyway (like extravagant savings for high efficiency models based on huge numbers of washer loads, or higher end models hold their value more. even if true, which I doubt, who cares? I'm not likely to try to sell it later on some secondary market).