Washing machine

According to Consumer Reports, a front load washer should be replaced rather than repaired after it is 7 years old - 6 years if it is a top loader. If yours is 9, get a new one...
That sounds kind of extreme. My 1985 era top loader and gas dryer ran 20 years in my previous home and were still running fine when I sold the place (and left the machines behind). Maybe Consumer Reports recommendation is based more on the increased efficiency of the newer machines.

Audrey

That sounds kind of extreme. My 1985 era top loader and gas dryer ran 20 years in my previous home and were still running fine when I sold the place (and left the machines behind). Maybe Consumer Reports recommendation is based more on the increased efficiency of the newer machines.

We had an old Kenmore that lasted almost 20 years. Finally figured out the agitator mechanism was so worn about all it was doing was soaking and rinsing our laundry, not washing it!

Increased efficiency is part of the CR equation, but the most influential factors are the cost of repair vs. the cost of of replacement combined with survey results showing a high incidence of continuing problems after repairs were made - 36% for top loaders and 50% for front loaders. Bottom line, if it is relatively expensive to fix relative to the cost of a replacement and odds aren't good the fix will completely cure the problem, buy a new one.

Maybe Consumer Reports recommendation is based more on the increased efficiency of the newer machines.
Yep, it's the payback for reduced electrical consumption.

I think just about all the benefits have been squeezed out of that niche, however, and pretty soon we'll be back to "they don't last much longer than seven years".

I don't know about you guys, but on Oahu the used appliances are so plentiful on Craigslist that they're almost worthless. It's especially bountiful during the military's summer moving season. If a washer or dryer is more than three years old then it's probably not worth $200. Fridges maybe $300. Our 2007 GE Profile Arctica 25.5 cu ft fridge ("Fridgezilla") was $2750 special-order retail. We bought it from the seller (still in the delivery packaging) for only $750 in late 2007. Today I think we'd be lucky to get $350 for it.

Yep, it's the payback for reduced electrical consumption.
Did you not see my response... or are you telling me I did a lousy job of reading the Consumer Reports article? :LOL:
Increased efficiency is part of the CR equation, but the most influential factors are the cost of repair vs. the cost of of replacement combined with survey results showing a high incidence of continuing problems after repairs were made - 36% for top loaders and 50% for front loaders. Bottom line, if it is relatively expensive to fix relative to the cost of a replacement and odds aren't good the fix will completely cure the problem, buy a new one.

Well that's not encouraging at all!

Our washer and dryer are ~22 year old Kenmores made by Whirlpool. No electronics at all, just electrical. They have survived lightning-induced power pulses with no problem. Not so the Microwave which I fixed myself, it's a built-in. And various and sundry little stuff that popped.

Old machines are last of the breed, any new replacement will have a $ controller board and be a pain to troubleshoot and fix. Our new refridge has a controller board, I have a good quality outlet strip suppressor mounted behind it, only about 600w max on defrost, less power on running, so I could do that. Hopefully good enough...

My previous top loader lasted 30 years. Front loader just made it out of warranty before the CPU died. I guess I had better just get used to it. :(

Sad part is that I know the CPU costs the manufacturer pennies. They should plug in like an SD card.

My previous top loader lasted 30 years. Front loader just made it out of warranty before the CPU died. I guess I had better just get used to it. :(

Sad part is that I know the CPU costs the manufacturer pennies. They should plug in like an SD card.

My old appliances lasted forever but the new ones seem to have shorter life spans . I have never had a stove repaired until last year . The heating element went and then the handle broke off on a stove that was six years old .

Back
Top Bottom