Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-02-2016, 11:43 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Guess I should continue to baby (and repair) our 24 yo Whirlpool washer. Appliance parts store guy told me it'll last another 20 years if I don't overload it, he said "you can't buy one built as well today, at any price."
That's what I've been told about mine. A Maytag, 30 years old, and still going strong. The only repair was an extremely simple/cheap belt replacement.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ine-67469.html

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2016, 12:54 PM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

Very, very happy with Speed Queen.
Yellowjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 01:14 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

We have the LG top load HE machine. Glad we got the top load but it does not clean nearly as well as the 15 YO Kenmore it replaced. It's OK but the fast spin wet presses the wrinkles into the clothes. They come out of the washer barely damp and they're almost dry and wrinkly when the matching dryer sings its little song. I love the capacity but would go back to an agitator machine next time. This pair cost 3x what we normally spend so I feel compelled to keep them a long time

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 10-02-2016, 02:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
There's been a flood of new manufacturers like LG and Samsung making very great looking appliances of questionable quality.
Indeed. Now not only are Samsung cell phones exploding, so are their washing machines! Seriously, how can some engineers make a washing machine that explodes? It must be a gift....

D'oh! Now Samsung Washing Machines Are Exploding | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
Old 10-02-2016, 02:51 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Just remember that Consumer Reports does not do long-term reliability testing. Speed Queen uses metal parts that other manufacturers have dropped for plastic ones. And no, I don't work for Speed Queen.
niven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 02:58 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Our big appliance store owner told me he's got Fisher and Paykel appliances in his home. And our independent appliance repairman has F&P units at his house. We got a Fisher and Paykel washer and found it to be a different style unit from anything else on the market--and clothes come out almost dry.

Washing clothes is a big part of my wife's life, and she swears by the quality of wash coming out of our Fisher & Paykel washer.
Agree with above comments on F&P washer. DD has one and loves it.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:08 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For those of you that have HE washers, does yours make enough noise and wobble to wake the dead? My machine "level" in every direction has been checked so many times I think my level must be broken!
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 03:23 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

So far our Electrolux front loaders have been doing very well. I wash a lot of nylon clothes on delicate cycle and those only take 38mins including the extra rinse.
Old 10-02-2016, 04:00 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Indeed. Now not only are Samsung cell phones exploding, so are their washing machines! Seriously, how can some engineers make a washing machine that explodes? It must be a gift....

D'oh! Now Samsung Washing Machines Are Exploding | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
We have one but it hasn't exploded yet. What seems to happen is the suspension springs grow weaker over time and even slight load imbalances will cause the inside tub to rock laterally too much. This happened on our unit but the machine would sense an imbalance and stop with an error code. Sometimes however, instead of triggering the error code, the violent rocking would cause the spin cycle to revert to a rinse cycle and send the machine into a loop: rinse, spin, imbalance, stop, rinse, spin, etc. I guess we were lucky. The machine became pretty much unusable for anything approaching a normal load. Fortunately, I was able to order the four rod/spring assemblies online for $80 and replace them myself in what was an easy 20 minute repair. That fixed the problem immediately. How long the new springs will last is anyone's guess but I won't leave the machine unattended again.

It works well apart from the long wash cycles and we can easily get a comforter in without that center agitator. However, when we replace this unit, it will likely be with a different make. And we're good Samsung customers.
Ian S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 04:32 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
For those of you that have HE washers, does yours make enough noise and wobble to wake the dead? My machine "level" in every direction has been checked so many times I think my level must be broken!
Just fixed my daughters HE washer it was excessively wobbling , opened up
the back panel and one of the shocks was broken in half. $35 later running fine.
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 04:51 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Mine is in a laundry room, with a solid wood door connecting it to my den where I am usually located. If the door is closed, I can barely hear it and only if I am listening for it. But you know, so much depends on the location of the washer, and the hearing of the individual.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:47 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

No but ours is a top load machine and it does have some sort of advanced self balancing routine. It jiggles the load to calculate how to balance. If the load won't balance it won't start. Then it dynamically rebalances when it does the high speed spin. Very rarely it will stop in the middle of a cycle for manual rebalance. It is very smooth while running. When we bought it the salesman said some people complained about excessive vibration and had to have their floors reinforced! I also noticed they were selling little rubber shock pads as an accessory along with the powder to eliminate odor for the front load machines.

Old 10-02-2016, 06:58 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I think you want to consider something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Speed-Queen-A.../dp/B00T6OB50A

samclem will be along shortly to recommend the Staber

-ERD50
Staber! Loads conveniently through the top, but cleans clothes by tumbling, like a front loader (but with no potential door leaks). I really don't know why all washers aren't built like this. It's still going strong.

Hey, you'd really like my 15 year old Whirlpool dryer. It's still young at just 15years, I hope to keep it for a LONG time.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:45 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
No but ours is a top load machine and it does have some sort of advanced self balancing routine. It jiggles the load to calculate how to balance. If the load won't balance it won't start. Then it dynamically rebalances when it does the high speed spin. Very rarely it will stop in the middle of a cycle for manual rebalance. It is very smooth while running. When we bought it the salesman said some people complained about excessive vibration and had to have their floors reinforced! I also noticed they were selling little rubber shock pads as an accessory along with the powder to eliminate odor for the front load machines.

Of course you can contrast that with machines from the 1970s that would gladly walk as far as the power cord and hoses would permit. They were glad to bang the inner and out tub together loudly. Or recall washers of the same time frame that had the pump and the tub on the same motor so that the spin cycle began with a full tub of water.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:10 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm a big fan of the Speed Queen washers and dryers also. I got the old fashioned mechanically controlled machine (no electrical input panels). I expect it to last 30 years. It still meets the environmental rules for water usage, but isn't a HE. This is the one I got: Speed Queen AWN432SP113TW04 : Warners' Stellian.

I did get the SQ dryer too and am very happy with that also.
Paracelsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 08:21 AM   #36
Administrator

This is usually such a thrifty bunch, yet there's no discussion of the "very low cost" washing machine options, and even when the thread title is "non-High Efficiency", the machine that best fits that desctiption has yet to be discussed.

Even better yet, it's a top loader.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:51 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
This is usually such a thrifty bunch, yet there's no discussion of the "very low cost" washing machine options, and even when the thread title is "non-High Efficiency", the machine that best fits that desctiption has yet to be discussed.

Even better yet, it's a top loader.
Wow! I haven't seen a setup like that since I was a kid. My grandma never had a washer and used a scrub board and wringer and so on, and hung the clothes out on a clothesline to dry of course. Her wringer had a long handle on it and it was fascinating to watch her operate it.

She did finally convert to a refrigerator with a freezer compartment, instead of an ice box, but I remember when she did that, back in the late 1950's. She said she felt pampered.

The lack of modern appliances created a LOT of work in those days.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:32 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
We have 1/2 that setup , the left side.
Used at our cabin on an island.
The rollers aren't needed as we hang clothes outside for a day or two and they just drip dry.
It even works without electricity, a green option.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:47 AM   #39

My aunt used to have a wringer washer at the beach cabin. I was a toddler, but IIRC the machine agitated the water, but she had to put the clothes through the wringer by hand. The washer was out on the deck, and my guess is the washer drained under the deck into the sand.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:10 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've got a 15 year old Maytag HE front loader. It refuses to die and I would like to have a new set in one of those pretty new colors, because I am shallow that way. Every couple of years a load gets left inside for a few days and then it needs a pack of Tide washing machine cleaner to remove the musty smell, but I've always chalked that up to operator error.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote