Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Washing Machine purgatory - Do they still make non-High Efficiency washers?
Old 10-02-2016, 07:42 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Washing Machine purgatory - Do they still make non-High Efficiency washers?

Many years ago we got one of those awful front load HE washers that don't fully drain between the flange and the door and have the slightly musty smell. Eventually, they offered a "fix" kit for $100. (This was in the Maytag quality slump before they were bought by Whirlpool). We were not about to put more money into a washer in which we were so disappointed. I was ready to get rid of it, but then just put up with it.

Oh - and jeans come out completely wrinkled lengthwise with wrinkles that don't come out in the dryer. Crazy.

Well, time marches on. So we've put up with it long enough.

Recently DH checked to see if we would get any of the settlement money from the class action lawsuit settlement, but just missed that somehow.

I am ready to go back to a top load washer that fills with water.

So, HE stands for high efficiency. What it the lingo for "filling with water?"

Does Whirlpool make one?

Do I need to get a Kenmore commercial washer? (one without the coin collector).

I don't have to have fancy stuff. Three basic cycles and choices of water temps are all that's needed.

And washer/dryer sets are redesigned so often, the design currently offered may not be as good as the ones about which the reviews are being written.

Hep me, Hep me......!
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2016, 08:42 AM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

When I was looking recently all I saw were HE washers . I bought a HE maytag Bravos that has an extra water option. It works fine .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:53 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think you want to consider something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Speed-Queen-A.../dp/B00T6OB50A

samclem will be along shortly to recommend the Staber

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:59 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I think you want to consider something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Speed-Queen-A.../dp/B00T6OB50A

samclem will be along shortly to recommend the Staber

-ERD50

We bought one of these last summer, and I am happy with it. Mechanical controls, I can lift the top and stop the machine easily, it doesn't smell.
And....it was manufactured in Ripon, Wisconsin!
Tandemlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:08 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Consumer reports tested them and found:

" A A

Why consumers prefer top-loading agitator washers

They're not as energy efficient but cost less and have shorter cycles

Published: November 14, 2014 04:15 PM

Find Ratings

Washing machines
Clothes dryers
Laundry detergents

Do you know any laundry enthusiasts? Have you ever seen a reality TV show where fun-seeking young people spend nights doing laundry rather than partying at the Jersey Shore? Washing and folding laundry isn’t fun, but front-loaders and high-efficiency top-loaders have raised the performance bar and offer advantages over top-loaders with agitators. And yet agitator washers are still the best sellers.
That’s because they’re typically cheaper and faster. Most agitator top-loaders tested by Consumer Reports are less than $600 and do a normal wash in 40 to 50 minutes using the heavy-soil setting. “But they score lower in our tests as they generally don’t wash as well, have smaller capacities, use a lot more water, and extract less of it so dryer time is longer,” says Emilio Gonzalez, the engineer who runs our tests of washers and dryers. Vibration isn’t a problem for agitator washers, but noise is and most aren't so gentle on fabrics.

Whirlpool WTW4850BW

The best from our tests. If you’re set on buying an agitator washer check our washing machine ratings. The $580 Whirlpool WTW4850BW is the only top-loader agitator washer to make our top picks. It was one of the few to deliver impressive cleaning, used the least water, and cycle time was 50 minutes on the heavy-soil setting. Our ratings include agitator washers from Amana, Frigidaire, GE, Hotpoint, Kenmore, Maytag, Roper, and Speed Queen. Most scored good in capacity, meaning the washer held about 15 to 19 pounds of laundry. Very good indicates that the washer fit about 20 to 24 pounds."

Top-loading Agitator Washers Tops in Sales - Consumer Reports
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:09 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
That post was not what I was trying to do, but it worked out ok anyhow
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:11 AM   #7

Our new house came with a new LG HE top load washer. I'm surprised how much I like it, it doesn't have the annoying center spinner, the tub is huge, the clothes are clean and wrung out really well... The only thing to me that HE means is its slow wash, fast dry so that took me time getting use to.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:28 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I love my new LG HE top loader washer that I bought for my new "dream home". I don't care about conserving water since I never exceed the minimum charge for water (about $2/month here). Still, my new washer cleans so much better than the GE agitator washer that I had in my old house.

It takes 59 minutes to do a load, but the matching dryer only takes 41 minutes (probably since the clothes aren't as wet) so the total is much faster than the agitator washer and matching dryer. This is despite the fact that I chose a model that is very large and can take huge loads, so that I can easily wash any king sized comforter in it. Mine has a number of cycles, including one that is for heavy duty when you have a load that is extra grungy, and it takes over an hour but I have only used it twice. It doesn't smell but I always leave the washer lid up when I'm not running it, just to play it safe.

It's important to read and follow the directions that come with an He washer if you want it to clean well. They don't operate quite the same and also of course the detergent is different too.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:51 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

We had the dreaded front loaders and hated them. There was nothing like waiting 2 hours to do a load of clothes. Subsequently sold them and bought an 'old school' top loader off of Craigslist ($200 for the set) and have been using them with zero issues for a couple of years. When they die, I will replace them again with Craigslist finds.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:52 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Consumer reports tested them and found: ...
Wow, that Whirlpool WTW4850BW is just $399 at a Chicagoland area, highly rated appliance store (Abt pronounced like 'apt' in 'aptitide'):

Whirlpool White Top Load Washer - WTW4915EW

Gets great reviews, and just $399! Delivered! Great reviews at Home Depot too.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:58 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wow, that Whirlpool WTW4850BW is just $399 at a Chicagoland area, highly rated appliance store (Abt pronounced like 'apt' in 'aptitide'):

-ERD50
What a bargain! You won't get an LG He top-loader like mine for that price, that's for sure. I'm forwarding that model number to Frank, who is looking for a cheap washer right now. He is not in a rush, because the "W2R laundromat" is right next door and we enjoy chatting while he does his laundry. But, he'd like to have a working washer at his house, too.
Edited to add: I just checked and it's on sale here, too, for $369.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:00 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

We recently bought a Whirlpool Cabrio top loader and have been happy with it.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:03 AM   #13

If you want to return to the " Good Ol Days " , Buy a Speed Queen top loader, then adjust the fill switch ala one of the youtube how to videos, and Presto, you have a durable high capacity non high efficiency top load washer.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:10 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Guess I should continue to baby (and repair) our 24 yo Whirlpool washer. Appliance parts store guy told me it'll last another 20 years if I don't overload it, he said "you can't buy one built as well today, at any price."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1013.jpg (488.0 KB, 21 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:54 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

-ERD50
We purchased this washer three months ago from Lowes, and I love it. It was on sale for $399, free delivery, and $15 to remove the old one. Works great, and I'd recommend it for sure.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:56 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I love my HE washer. It has no agitator and a large tub. You can use liquid fabric softener w/o gumming up the works and avoid the dreaded "dryer sheets"

It has a deep water setting that while not coming close to filling the tub at least lets you see the water.

And last, it works great! Got stains out of clothes the old agitator washer didn't.

Less water, less energy and cleaner clothes -
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:06 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
And last, it works great! Got stains out of clothes the old agitator washer didn't.
I noticed that with my LG HE top loader washer too, much to my delight. It got stains out of clothes that had not been removed in months or years using the 2002 GE agitator washer that I had at my old house. So, no longer do I have to restrict usage of those clothes to around the house only.

Old 10-02-2016, 11:15 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
Many years ago we got one of those awful front load HE washers that don't fully drain between the flange and the door and have the slightly musty smell. Eventually, they offered a "fix" kit for $100. (This was in the Maytag quality slump before they were bought by Whirlpool).
Maytag came out with their Neptune front loaders. The problem is that the strucure of the washer wasn't strong. Move'em and the frame would get bent, and the bearings would bind up. There was a class action lawsuit that cost Maytag a fortune. Believe me when I say the Maytag repairman had a bunch of enemies.

Spring forward, and just about all the appliance companies have been merged and/or bought out. The present Maytag washer/dryers are just of normal quality. There's been a flood of new manufacturers like LG and Samsung making very great looking appliances of questionable quality.

Our big appliance store owner told me he's got Fisher and Paykel appliances in his home. And our independent appliance repairman has F&P units at his house. We got a Fisher and Paykel washer and found it to be a different style unit from anything else on the market--and clothes come out almost dry.

Washing clothes is a big part of my wife's life, and she swears by the quality of wash coming out of our Fisher & Paykel washer.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:32 AM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

The class action lawsuit for front loading washers is active- I just applied for my $50. I had to replace the door gasket once. If yall bought a front load washer between 2001 and 2010, you may get some dinero. Affected models are Maytag, Whirlpool, and Kenmore and there's a separate LG suit.
The deadline for applying is Oct 10 for LG and Oct 11 for the others.
tfudtuckerpucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:40 AM   #20

Buy a pre-2010 Whirlpool or Kenmore (made by Whirlpool) off Craigslist or a similar site. Nothing will work better or last longer. The new machines are of poor quality and do not last.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote