Join Early Retirement Today

washing machines
Old 05-15-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

washing machines

If any of you have had the misfortune recently of having to replace a washing machine, you will understand my frustration! This is CRAZY!!! Apparently the government has decided how we are to do the laundry. The amount of water that they will allow in the new washing machines amounts to dry cleaning your clothes.

I was shocked to find out all the problems that people are having if they purchase a new machine. If you have an older laundry room set-up, that won't fit the front loaders, as they are very deep, you are really in a pickle.

We waste gobs of water watering lawns, golf courses, taking baths (that will likely also be outlawed), etc. But can you put a few extra gallons in the washer now........no way.

This is very discouraging.

I am willing to "hug trees" ....BUT........I want to do it in CLEAN CLOTHES. When you live in the deep south, you need HOT WATER to scrub your duds and then a seriously good rinse cycle.

Suggestion: If you need a new washing machine - be prepared to go down to the river with a scrub board!
molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How awful, Molly! I haven't bought a new washer since 2002, so I had no idea.

They don't make the same old-fashioned top-loaders any more? Wow. I hope mine doesn't break any time soon. I know what you mean about needing lots of water to clean clothes well here in the South.

Edited to add: Have you tried Best Buy? I went to their website just now and found some, I think:

Top-Loading Washers | Best Buy

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:58 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Molly, I feel your pain...

However, we moved from a traditional top-loader with a center agitator to a new-fangled ecowater top-loader and it works great. Yes, there is a learning curve and you have to do a few things differently, but it really does work.

PS - we live very far south.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:02 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

If you are happy with your top loader - please share the brand & model #. I have been to BB, HD, & LOWES for many hours. They tell me that all the customers are complaining.

In addition to the water situation, all the new machines have electronic panels that are susceptible to "brown outs". The control panels are VERY expensive to replace. Only truly mechanical and agitator washer left on the market is the Speed Queen. Even that has had its water level zapped but............there is a way to circumvent it on the SQ.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Oh gosh, now I really dread the day when my washer dies, Molly. I will be complaining, too. I think these forced water usage controls are so stupid - - I never use more water than the minimum charged on a water bill here. It would make more sense to just charge more to those who use more water and let the rest of us use it as we wish, IMO.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:11 PM   #6
Administrator

I have a set of Maytags from 1992. They just keep working and yes, probably use lots of water and electricity. Otoh, we don't do much laundry these days - typically 3 or 4 loads a week and they are paid for. I talk to the plants when I water and give the old maytag a nice appreciative pat on wash day and am hoping for another 20 years...
Old 05-15-2012, 06:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
If you are happy with your top loader - please share the brand & model #. I have been to BB, HD, & LOWES for many hours. They tell me that all the customers are complaining.
We bought the Whirlpool Cabrio WTW5700X at Lowes. Our daughter liked ours and purchased the same model and we are both satisfied customers.

I did a lot of reading prior to purchasing and saw a lot of complaints - and a lot of positive recommendations. It appears to me those who don't like it are not following the instructions on how to use it properly - as I said, it requires different loading techniques. If you dump your clothes in like an old top-loading agitator model and throw in some soap, I guarantee you won't be happy with the results. We laminated the instructions, follow them closely and have never been disappointed.

If you are worried about the electronics, you can always buy an extended warranty. Since the machine cost less than $500 on sale the extra expense didn't seem warranted.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
We bought the Whirlpool Cabrio WTW5700X at Lowes. Our daughter liked ours and purchased the same model and we are both satisfied customers.

I did a lot of reading prior to purchasing and saw a lot of complaints - and a lot of positive recommendations. It appears to me those who don't like it are not following the instructions on how to use it properly - as I said, it requires different loading techniques. If you dump your clothes in like an old top-loading agitator model and throw in some soap, I guarantee you won't be happy with the results. We laminated the instructions, follow them closely and have never been disappointed.

If you are worried about the electronics, you can always buy an extended warranty. Since the machine cost less than $500 on sale the extra expense didn't seem warranted.
I'm embarrassed to ask, but what else can you possibly do with a washer other than dump in the clothes and throw in soap? I am SO hopelessly outdated. My username should be "20th Century W2R".

Old 05-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I'm embarrassed to ask, but what else can you possibly do with a washer other than dump in the clothes and throw in soap?
First you have to friend the machine on Facebook...

You have to place clothes around the edge of the tub keeping the "button" in the center clear. Takes an extra 30 seconds vs. dumping.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

We recently bought a pair of Maytag Bravos, in silver no less.
Top loader with all the water saving features.
There is a definite learning curve, but washing bliss will soon arrive.
These tested out pretty well with Consumer's reports also.
As a bonus, they make many interesting sounds..
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
First you have to friend the machine on Facebook...

You have to place clothes around the edge of the tub keeping the "button" in the center clear. Takes an extra 30 seconds vs. dumping.
Ah! OK. I can learn to do that...

Old 05-15-2012, 06:42 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
We recently bought a pair of Maytag Bravos, in silver no less.
Top loader with all the water saving features.
There is a definite learning curve, but washing bliss will soon arrive.
These tested out pretty well with Consumer's reports also.
As a bonus, they make many interesting sounds..
As long as the dryer buzzer cannot be heard from probably a block away, like my present dryer buzzer, I would never complain about the sounds.....

Old 05-15-2012, 06:43 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

This must be a rather new development. We replaced all our home appliances in 2008, including washer/dryer (old ones dated from 1990) and had no trouble finding a top loading washing machine that uses all the water one could want.

We glanced briefly at front loaders - the height seemed to be largely a function of the expensive pedestal that must be bought for the washer to sit on. That set-up wouldn't fit in our laundry room, unless we removed the laundry cabinets above the washer and dryer. That said, we didn't see any practical advantage to a front-loading washing machine over a top-loader.

Amethyst

Quote:
If any of you have had the misfortune recently of having to replace a washing machine, you will understand my frustration! This is CRAZY!!! Apparently the government has decided how we are to do the laundry. The amount of water that they will allow in the new washing machines amounts to dry cleaning your clothes.

I was shocked to find out all the problems that people are having if they purchase a new machine. If you have an older laundry room set-up, that won't fit the front loaders, as they are very deep, you are really in a pickle.

We waste gobs of water watering lawns, golf courses, taking baths (that will likely also be outlawed), etc. But can you put a few extra gallons in the washer now........no way.

This is very discouraging.

I am willing to "hug trees" ....BUT........I want to do it in CLEAN CLOTHES. When you live in the deep south, you need HOT WATER to scrub your duds and then a seriously good rinse cycle.

Suggestion: If you need a new washing machine - be prepared to go down to the river with a scrub board!
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Well my dear Amethyst.....hang on to those machines. If they bust...get them repaired! Today's top loader = BIG TUB & teeeeeeeeny water.

JANUARY 1, 2011 is when these wonderful rules went into effect. Now ANYBODY who wants a new WASHER has to abide by the government's system of washing clothes!

As you can tell everybody...I am seriously aggravated. THIS TIME THEY HAVE GONE TOO FAR.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:14 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

My, my, such a depressing thread!! My washing machine is vintage early 1980's, and the house I moved here from had a washing machine from the 1970's. Right now I only talk to the cat and the plants, but it looks like I'll have to start talking to my washer to make it last longer.
james7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:22 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

The only complaint I have with the cabrio model is the length of time it takes to complete a wash.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnjana View Post
The only complaint I have with the cabrio model is the length of time it takes to complete a wash.
Yep. Pounding your clothes on a rock is much faster...
Old 05-15-2012, 08:34 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Oh wow, we just keep fixing the ones we have. Pair given to us as a wedding gift, 19 years ago. Plain old top load washer and front load dryer. Pretty rusty these days but I dry outside most of the time anyway, so the inefficient dryer is ok by me. Maybe shop on Craigslist or a thrift store for older models? If the new ones aren't to your liking? I just went and looked- mine are GE brand.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:37 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yep. Pounding your clothes on a rock is much faster...
Being retired, I don't think this would bother me as long as the clothes came out clean. I have all the time in the world...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
I just went and looked- mine are GE brand.
Mine too, even though I have a gas dryer.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:07 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I have a GE washer about 5 years old. Make sure you get a "direct drive" motor, no transmission. I usually have great luck on bestcoveries.com or cnet.com for reviews on what to get.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote