Join Early Retirement Today
Washing the Car - Detergent Recomendations
Old 09-07-2008, 05:13 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Washing the Car - Detergent Recomendations

Anyone have a reco for a good detergent for washing the car. One that doesn't leave water spots.

Also any experience with car detergent that claims to include a wax. Does it work... or work well?

chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2008, 07:48 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
It's usually the water that leaves the spots and not the detergent. I wouldn't use any type of dish washing stuff, just a good car soap.

Funny about the wax in the detergent. Car wash places sell the wax in the water as an option but they put it in any way. The wax in the water helps the car to dry and you get it if you pay for it or not.

Doesn't do a thing as far as I'm concerned.

73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:50 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
You might try the mr clean wash and dry. It works very well.
steve88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:25 AM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado
1) I use (ONR) Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine: clay lubricant, optimum rinseless wash, no rinse car wash, optimum detailing products This bottle will last 32 washes. takes ~30 min to wash/dry car.
2) 1-5gallon bucket (2 caps ONR to 2 gallons of water)
3) 1-5gallon bucket with Grit Guard is the maker of car washing solutions that protect your vehicle while improving its appearance. (filled ~3-4 gallons of water only
4) Quality Sheepskin or MF Wash Mitt to wash car
5) A Good MF Waffle weave Towel set. such as The Guzzler Waffle Weave Microfiber Drying Towel by Cobra is a better drying towel than a chamois, or terry cloth towel. Microfiber makes the best These towels will suck up the water and you won't have to ring them out at all. These are B1G1F now.
6) Towel Detergent for washing: Micro-Restore doesn’t just clean microfiber, it restores microfiber! Not recommended to wash towels etc with your normal clothes due to lint etc..
7) Pinnacle SSII or Souveran wax, WOWO. I just bought the SSII B1G1F last week. Great Wax. Takes about ~30min to wax car.

I never had any scratches, marring etc.. using these quality materials. I do everything by hand and it is not tiresome to do the car!
Mike1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:29 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...
Do not use dish washing detergent. Used to put a tablespoon full of diesel in the wash bucket.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:22 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
i use dish detergent before i apply a new wax coat. seems to remove the old wax and gets the road oils off the car.
"off with their heads"~~dr. joseph-ignace guillotin

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 09:59 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...
Just use wet paint glaze, and you can wash and wax in one step,saving more time for whiskey manhattans......

Consult with your own advisor or representative. My thoughts should not be construed as investment advice. Past performance is no guarantee of future results (love that one).......:)

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote