Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-22-2011, 08:21 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In Amazon's defense, I bought a DVD for my DB's birthday. The vendor sent the wrong DVD, then jerked me around and threatened to charge my credit card for reshipping charges. I filed a claim with Amazon's A-Z guarantee. In a few weeks I got all my money back and DB got the right (and wrong) DVDs. I appreciated that Amazon stepped in and took my side.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2011, 09:41 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Seems like things have gotten weird at Amazon lately. They no longer give you the price difference if they drop the price compared to what you paid 30 days ago.

I recently ordered 4 items. 2 of them were oil filters. On day one, after I ordered they shipped 1 item. On day two they shipped the 2 filters. On day 3 they shipped the last item. I wasn't charged for shipping, at all, since it was over $25 worth of items and it qualified for free shipping, I didn't check the option to send them as they became available (they all were at the time of ordering). Either they're out to bend over backwards for some customer service reason or they are trying to maximize their carbon footprint with multiple shipments.

Previously, I had a bunch of stuff marked for purchase later, in my "shopping cart". They dropped the price on everything, and then proceeded to mark them "out of stock" after I checked that they were still in the cart but didn't buy them for a few days.

Maybe there's a decent explanation, but I can't think of one that's not a weird one.

-CC

Old 01-22-2011, 10:32 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCdaCE View Post
I recently ordered 4 items. 2 of them were oil filters. On day one, after I ordered they shipped 1 item. On day two they shipped the 2 filters. On day 3 they shipped the last item. I wasn't charged for shipping, at all, since it was over $25 worth of items and it qualified for free shipping, I didn't check the option to send them as they became available (they all were at the time of ordering). Either they're out to bend over backwards for some customer service reason or they are trying to maximize their carbon footprint with multiple shipments.

Maybe there's a decent explanation, but I can't think of one that's not a weird one.

-CC
I'd bet that each of the 3 shipments came from different warehouses. I've seen that a bunch of times.

It's one reason I try to split my free shipping up into as many orders as I can and still stay above $25 in each. If they are in the same order and in the same warehouse, they will hold it up if one item in that warehouse is delayed. I've seen that too.

-ERD50
Old 01-23-2011, 05:03 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

It is easy to cost compare on the internet... do not limit the cost compare research to Amazon!
Old 01-23-2011, 06:39 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, they were offering "used" hair dye, too Which would no doubt be very, very expensive...think of the advanced technology that would be needed to collect it! Methinks it's just their software - a thingy that always comes up, unrelated to whether you actually can buy a "used" version or not.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
I, I also notice most of the pill vendors have some available described as used.
I'm not sure how that works,..Anyone else notice that?
Old 01-23-2011, 07:00 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
.......I also notice most of the pill vendors have some available described as used.
I'm not sure how that works, but the mental picture I get of the used pill production line is not very pleasant..Anyone else notice that?
I bought a camera case on Amazon listed as used. It was in fact new, but out of the original package. It was half price, but perfect.

So, maybe repackaged stuff is just peddled as used.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:58 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

The sellers on amazon inflate the price of popular, hard to get items.

Research before buying.

For people who don't want to add an add-in to their browser you can just use the camelcamelcamel website.

http://www.camelcamelcamel.com
Old 01-23-2011, 11:27 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonomore View Post
The sellers on amazon inflate the price of popular, hard to get items.
Pretty much everyone does that. Have you heard of "Supply and Demand"?

Supply and demand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't know what your line of work was, but if you educated yourself, or learned a craft so that your services were more popular and harder to come by than a those of a burger flipper, did you still offer your services for minimum wage? Why not? Why did you inflate your price?

-ERD50
Old 01-23-2011, 11:53 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

I occasionally sell books through Amazon Marketplace. Twice their robot would not let me list at my chosen price. One, a signed out-of-print paperback novel of interest to tourists & residents of my hometown, in so-so condition, could only be listed above $12.00; the other, an apparently rare-ish out-of-print hardcopy biography with dust jacket had a minimum of $65.00. They both sold but it took longer than I would like. I think Amazon has a right to protect their commission.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:57 AM   #30
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Yeah, they were offering "used" hair dye, too Which would no doubt be very, very expensive...think of the advanced technology that would be needed to collect it! Methinks it's just their software - a thingy that always comes up, unrelated to whether you actually can buy a "used" version or not.

Amethyst
I think you are right about the software. When I clicked on the used pills, it comes up as new with a cheaper price but much higher shipping.

Still, I'm keeping the door open for the possibility that a clandestine PILL recycle facility exists somewhere..They do say that some of those vitamin pills never dissolve
That plus the fact that the brand I usually purchase is called---
NATURE'S WAY

Somewhere in the hills
Old 01-23-2011, 12:38 PM   #31

I needed a few supply odds and ends for my hobby, and decided rather than go to several local merchants or even on-line places, I thought I would just round up as much as possible on Amazon...

So I put everything in my basket.... 7 or 8 items, $38.... and $24 in shipping, even with one being a 'super saver'!

I emptied my basket, went back to search and typed in "free super saver"... hmmm only five pages. I wonder why so few. Well, I start paging through and find three of the original items, and at good prices. I put them in basket. Then I searched by type for the rest of items, one by one.... paid attention to items with 'free super saver,' (which were btw NOT in the list of five prior pages for some reason!), and placed in basket, if they had a good price.

End result? All but one of the items found, total $36.50, and FREE shipping for all. I think the one item I could not source was easily found locally anyway, and not that important, so I placed the order. I figure I saved 30-40% of what the original order bottom line would have cost me.

Now, one of those items is not scheduled to be here until Feb 15th, but still... if you can afford to wait...

Bottom line is what a prior shopper recommended -- buyer beware, it's up to you to shop for and insist on reasonable terms, If not, vote with your feet and go somewhere else.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:38 PM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Here might be a case similar to Amazon's high price for the bucket of dinosaurs. I was looking for some black dye for loudspeaker grill cloths which, I suspect, are polyester, and the only thing I could find on Amazon was Jacquard iDye Poly for $7+ with (supposedly) free shipping. Not bad. But when I made out the order, I found I was going to be charged $21+ shipping. Ouch. I found the same product elsewhere on the web for $2.45 plus $0.28 shipping.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:54 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
I did find Amazon user reviews for the bucket of dinosaurs which pointed out that Toys 'R Us had a much better price.

There are several bad reviews of the price of that product and in the old day that seller would lower his price or be banished from Amazon not so anymore . Amazon was known to run a tight ship with their sellers unlike ebay which had some real scammers . Now ebay runs a much tighter ship and Amazon has loosened it's standards . I hope they straighten it out because it was always my favorite place to buy .
Old 01-23-2011, 07:09 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I'd bet that each of the 3 shipments came from different warehouses. I've seen that a bunch of times.

It's one reason I try to split my free shipping up into as many orders as I can and still stay above $25 in each. If they are in the same order and in the same warehouse, they will hold it up if one item in that warehouse is delayed. I've seen that too.

-ERD50
Ahh yes. Hadn't thought of THAT one.

Can't determine the origin of the last two packages, but, I assume that's the correct answer.

-CC
Old 01-24-2011, 03:49 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Pretty much everyone does that. Have you heard of "Supply and Demand"?

Supply and demand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't know what your line of work was, but if you educated yourself, or learned a craft so that your services were more popular and harder to come by than a those of a burger flipper, did you still offer your services for minimum wage? Why not? Why did you inflate your price?

-ERD50
No, never heard of supply and demand. Thanks for the link.