Watch Prime Time Live Tonight

Dawg52

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
This is a little late for a notice but watch Prime Time on ABC tonight. Gonna have a segment on a shooting in my home town here in Mississippi at Lockheed Martin 2 years ago. Comes on 10:00 easten time. They gave a preview on the evening news so I know how its gonna go. A good friend of mine was the killers supervisor and I know a worker in the plant that worked with the guy. I'll give you the other side of the story tomorrow after you see it.

As promised here is my follow up of last nights show. Many of you may not have watched the show. In summary, ABC did a piece on the shooting that took place in Meridian, MS 2 years ago at a Lockheed Martin plant. The show did a good job of recapping most of the events that took place. The guy that did the shooting did in fact hate blacks and co-workers disliked him.(blacks and whites) But they failed to mention that the killer also hated many whites. He was a man that was just full of hate. In the shooting spree he shot many whites although only one  was killed and 5 blacks were killed.

The main problem I have with reports such as this one is that the news media still wants to portray MS, and the south in general, as a kkk invested area of the country. ABC dug up some kkk member from under a rock last night and tried to present him as an example of how people think here. They also showed  some footage from back in the 60's on the kkk.  I don't know of any kkk members that live here and never have seen any here. I'm sure there are a few scattered somewhere here in this state, but there are some that still exist all over this country. 

Mississippi has had a dark past with race relations but tremendous progress has been made over the last 25 years. I work with many blacks, several that are supervisors , of whom I have great respect.  This shooting spree was a great tragedy and I hope the families that were affected will get the satisfaction they deserve through their lawsuits. I just hope that most people realize that what happened in this incident is not the norm for this day and time.

Ok, enough of that. Time to get back to work.  :(

DOG50

BE quiet - sssh - like one of my Black engineer buddies puts it - race relations may suck - but I sure as hell ain't moving back to Newark!

Reimmigration back south is supposed to be secret.

All us dam Yankee's keep our mouths shut - lest it get too crowded.

Almost every time I have firsthand access to something the news media covers, I find that they modify the news to fit the story they want to tell.

For example, I was in the Bay Area during the '89 quake. From the national news, you got the impression that the entire Bay Area was a smoking ruin, where in fact the damaged areas were quite small.

TromboneAl said:
Almost every time I have firsthand access to something the news media covers, I find that they modify the news to fit the story they want to tell.

For example, I was in the Bay Area during the '89 quake. From the national news, you got the impression that the entire Bay Area was a smoking ruin, where in fact the damaged areas were quite small.
Ca ching! Bingo! Tra la! . We have a winner. I have heard that 60 minutes does 2 hours of interviews, then cuts it down to 12 minutes. What they use is what they want! What they cut hurts their point of view!

OTOH: I lived in Biloxi during late 70s, early 80s. There were KKK members soliciting donations on a major highway. May be different now, I dunno :confused:

Whats that I said a couple of weeks ago? You cant get two people who actually observe something to tell you the same story, so you have a particular witnesses version, how thats interpreted by the reporter, what they write down vs what their original interpretation was, how the editor spins it, how the station spins it, how the newscaster spins it, and then how its interpreted by the viewer.

"News" is the ultimate 'whisper game'.

My dad used to be amused that I read the paper from the inside section (where the comics are) towards the outside (where the news is). I used to tell him I start with the valid stuff first and work my way to the fictional parts...

My two favorites from my working days:

1. The head of the KKK in one area - got in a big to do when someone found a black ancestor in the 1890's. Apparently he was 'popular' enough to be 'enough' white to keep his job. Heh, heh - even before this his nickname was "Blackie".

2. One of our Black secretaries was in her twenties before she was told 'the bitter truth' - Irish in the family tree - A big no no in some circles.

Louisiana - you just gotta love it!

Reminds me of Dave Chapelle playing the blind, black white supremacist that nobody (including himself) knew wasnt white because he always wore his kkk outfit when he left the house.

Poor Dave Chapelle. Got $50M and it made him go crazy.

unclemick2 said:
My two favorites from my working days:

1. The head of the KKK in one area - got in a big to do when someone found a black ancestor in the 1890's. Apparently he was 'popular' enough to be 'enough' white to keep his job. Heh, heh - even before this his nickname was "Blackie".

2. One of our Black secretaries was in her twenties before she was told 'the bitter truth' - Irish in the family tree - A big no no in some circles.

Louisiana - you just gotta love it!
You do remember the flick "Watermelon Man"?

It wasn't that long ago that David Duke got 40% of the vote for Govenor! :(

I'm sure progress has been made, but that knucklehead they interviewed on the show repeated what I've heard from others: "well, some of them are n******, and some are blacks, I just call it like I see it. ". Jesse Helms got elected for the last time running ads about "this man lost his job because he was white....."

....I'm sure progress has been made, and I thought the piece was very manipulated.

laurencewill said:
It wasn't that long ago that David Duke got 40% of the vote for Govenor!  :(

I'm sure progress has been made, but that knucklehead they interviewed on the show repeated what I've heard from others: "well, some of them are n******, and some are blacks, I just call it like I see it. ".  Jesse Helms got elected for the last time running ads about "this man lost his job because he was white....." 

...I'm sure progress has been made, and I thought the piece was very manipulated.

That guy was a knucklehead. He was also about 85 years old. There are some old timers still around that lives in the past. Just for the record, David Duke ran for governor of Louisiana in 1991. He also ran for the Presidency the following year.  :crazy:

DOG50 said:
That guy was a knucklehead. He was also about 85 years old. There are some old timers still around that lives in the past. Just for the record, David Duke ran for governor of Louisiana in 1991. He also ran for the Presidency the following year. :crazy:

Didn't mean to imply he was from Mississippi, I'm from CA and I've heard this kind of talk here, it's not strictly one state. When Dr. King marched in The South, Northerners liked to make fun of "white trash" in southern states for being backwards. Then he marched in the north for housing rights through a white neighborhood. The residents lined the streets to throw offal, bricks, and worse at him and those who marched with him. Maybe this 85 year old deserves more respect than some, since at least he's honest about his racism. :-\

David Duke is a 55 year old smooth talking dude - won the Republican primary for governor in 1991 - many Republicans crossed to Edwin -'I may be a crook - but I'm a crook for the State of Louisiana' - 4 terms as gov. - after three trys - Edwin is in the Fed pen right now - recently divorcing his young wife - the guy,Eddie who got him - quit the Feds - ran for New Orleans DA and won - was recently convicted by a mostly Black jury of job discrimination against White employees(fired) - the guy who couldn't nail Edwin the first two trys - was a guest speaker at one my retirement functions - topic was ways to fix a jury - it also turned out after two swings and misses at the La Gov, - the Feds 'allowed' him to finish out his career(to get his years in) in Colombia as a 'secret' advisor on how to get and extradict a certain drug dealer - who by the way called him in the Miami Airport to wish him a good trip and welcome him to Columbia.

Racism is still alive and well in LA - but it takes some strange forms - and hopefully - continued progress is being made.

Back
Top Bottom