Join Early Retirement Today

Water Filtration System
Old 02-06-2008, 09:50 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to enelybur
Water Filtration System

Any suggestion on what's the best water filtration system to use?
enelybur is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2008, 12:49 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What are your trying to filter out? I use a reverse osmosis system for drinking water and have been happy with it, though it wastes water.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 12:56 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Enelybur,

Welcome to the board. It is customary for a new memeber to post some basic information about themselves in the "Hi, I Am" forum. Once you do that you might get some more hits on your question.

Also, be sure to read the Community Rules at the bottom right of the page.

Thanks and welcome to the board.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:58 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We plan on getting a distiller eventually... but a brita filter has been fine so far. I haven't died yet!
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 04:34 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Analog Medium: The Great Brita Vodka Challenge
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:56 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by enelybur View Post
"It depends".

Some are better for well water (water conditioners with UV light, especially for minerals & bacteria), others are better for city water & iron (water conditioners for minerals with a chelating agent like IronOut), some are better for just wanting cleaner drinking water (reverse osmosis under the sink), others are better for killing everything and getting rid of the leftovers (distillation & UV).

Or maybe you just want a charcoal filter.

Where does your water come from, what are you trying to do to it, and how much do you want to spend?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 06:59 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by enelybur View Post
Beer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
"It depends".

Some are better for well water (water conditioners with UV light, especially for minerals & bacteria), others are better for city water & iron (water conditioners for minerals with a chelating agent like IronOut), some are better for just wanting cleaner drinking water (reverse osmosis under the sink), others are better for killing everything and getting rid of the leftovers (distillation & UV).

Or maybe you just want a charcoal filter.

Where does your water come from, what are you trying to do to it, and how much do you want to spend?
What Nords said. I have "city" water, with enough chemicals in it to kill small farm animals. But an under sink charcoal filter makes it taste almost like water!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:15 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Just remember, fish do unspeakable things in water.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:18 PM   #9

Good question... how about for overseas? I get tap water of dubious quality and have been boiling it for drinking. I don't detect any taste to the water. What type of system would be safest? Thanks.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:20 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post

Beer...

What Nords said. I have "city" water, with enough chemicals in it to kill small farm animals. But an under sink charcoal filter makes it taste almost like water!
Well, beer like chlorine/chloramine-free water, too.

Quote:
Compounds called chlorophenols are formed when beer interacts with chlorine and these compounds have a fairy unpleasant aroma.
If all you want to do is get rid of the chlorine, let it sit out overnight. Chloramine is used a lot today, because it is more stable, so Chloramine won't dissipate overnight, or even with boiling.

However, there is an easy, cheap solution:

BYO - Clearing Chloramine & Historical Hopping: Mr. Wizard
Quote:
a 1/2-ounce Campden tablet (metabisulfite) can be used to dechlorinate 20 gallons of water. This reaction occurs very rapidly and all you really need to do is dissolve the metabisulfite in your water, let it sit for a minute or two and you are finished with the dechlorination process.

similar info here: Chloramine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, some questions on the effectiveness of a carbon filter on chloramines:

Chloramine and the Reef Aquarium by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

I'm on a private well - the chlorine in municipal water is really obnoxious to me. I seem to have an immunity to any bugs in my well.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:25 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacorp-firee View Post
Good question... how about for overseas? What type of system would be safest? Thanks.
Bottled.

For example, much of the effort in a country like Thailand goes into making sure that the ice machines are clean and sanitary. Not so much effort is directed at the tap water, assuming that everyone will be buying bottled anyway.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

Old 02-06-2008, 11:51 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

If you are concerned about the safety of your water, pay $100 bucks or so and get a comprehensive water test performed by a reputable lab. That's the only logical place to start.

We have a well with very hard water. I installed a water softener (regular ion exchange resin kind) for all the water inside the house (showers, washing machine, etc). Downstream of this, our drinking water water goes through two sediment filters and an activated charcoal filter. Then, to a reverse-osmosis membrane (augmented by a permeate pump to significantly reduce water waste). Then to a small charcoal polishing filter and on to the small pressurized storage tank. On the way out of the small storage tank the water passes through a UV light treatment unit. Last stop: the drinking water tap at the sink and the icemaker in the freezer.

Our well water has high hardness, some iron, some iron-reducing bacteria, and the house water had coliform bacteria when we moved in (we shocked the well and I think that killed it). The water softener adds a lot of salt to the water, and the most practical way to get rid of that is with the reverse osmosis system for the drinking water. Our water test didn't turn up anything really bad, and I probably don't need the charcoal filters. Still, when I see the Chemlawn truck spewing his stuff all over the lawns in my neighborhood, I feel a little better with the carbon filter in there.

When you have a well you assume total responsibility for the safety of your family's water.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:27 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Jeez Louise Sam...for the cost of all that gear you could have Lindsay Lohan come to your house and pour you a glass of bottled water!

Do note the effects of water softeners on the rest of your appliances. My pretty well made water heater failed early, washing machine got a few rust spots, and so did the dishwasher. My neighbors homes built at the same time didnt have these problems.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:29 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Do note the effects of water softeners on the rest of your appliances. My pretty well made water heater failed early, washing machine got a few rust spots, and so did the dishwasher.
How was this ascribed to the water conditioner? We're talking about an ion-exchange resin that removes calcium & magnesium, right?

Old 02-07-2008, 11:07 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

My city water is safe to drink, but it doesn't taste that good.

I installed a reverse osmosis filter system 3 years ago, and have been happy so far. The water tastes much better, I use it for cooking, and the kids like it also. Filters are not cheap but I switch them myself.

Bottled water is expensive,I think, even buying it bulk at Sam's Club............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Jeez Louise Sam...for the cost of all that gear you could have Lindsay Lohan come to your house and pour you a glass of bottled water!
Think larger CFB, don't waste a visit from Lindsay on no stinkin water
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 12:56 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post

We have a well with very hard water. I installed a water softener .... Downstream of this, our drinking water water goes through two sediment filters and an activated charcoal filter. Then, to a reverse-osmosis membrane (augmented by a permeate pump to significantly reduce water waste).
samclem, my situation is close to yours. No coliform (that I know of, at least not when they tested when we bought the place, no reason to think that has changed). We have the softener, and RO unit, but no filters after that.

What pressure do you take your RO up to? I wonder if the extra efficiency is worth the cost/complexity?

Also, I run my RO into a non-pressurized 3 gallon jug, with a tap on it to fill gallon jugs that we use. When the collection jug is near empty, I just reset a timer that runs it for 3 hours, which won't overfill it. As I understand it, since it is not working against any pressure, this is like having that added pressure at the inlet side. And I save the cost of the pressure tank. I'm running 4 units 'waste' for 1 unit 'pure'. I really should collect the 'waste' for flushing toilets or something, but it has never seemed worth the hassle. We mainly use it for coffee (and my beer brewing).

20+ year old water heater on my softened water. I was going to replace it ten years ago, 'just in case'.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:34 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
How was this ascribed to the water conditioner? We're talking about an ion-exchange resin that removes calcium & magnesium, right?
And replaces it with salt.

I guess you could use one of the potassium models.

Only thing I could think was the cause of my early appliance demise (which were all corrosion related) was salt water.

Jpatrick - the water thing was just to get her in the door. After that I'd have worked my bunny magic on her. Right up until my wife hit me in the head with one of those cast iron frying pans I bought for xmas.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:18 PM   #19
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:

Jpatrick - the water thing was just to get her in the door. After that I'd have worked my bunny magic on her. Right up until my wife hit me in the head with one of those cast iron frying pans I bought for xmas.

Since the bunny magic involves food and not booze you may be out of luck !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:35 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Well see? Thats where my versatility is frequently understated.

The bunny magic has often involved booze. Among other things.