Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-02-2014, 09:48 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheehs1 View Post
Well..it would be easier to replace just the pan base. One thing I read today said tile shower floors don't allow any flex and often crack. (And come to think of it, I have seen a lot of "cracked" tiled shower floors) The article also stated that the best of both worlds is an acrylic base and tiled walls. On the other hand, you hear and read where the acrylic bases may allow for to much movement and eventually cause problems.(probably part of what happened to my 20 year old drain assembly and acrylic unit)

I like the idea in this thread where it was suggested putting concrete under the acrylic base and around the drain assembly for more support. I'd go back to see who suggested that except I'm typing right now.
I think 20 yrs is a long time for a shower's life span before having to replace it. Everything I've read on shower pans, you're supposed to secure it in concrete or non expanding foam spray or as some suggested plaster of paris all around the pan except against the drain. Supposedly, this will support the weight to keep it from flexing too much and not interfere with the drain.

Tile floors should be laid on a concrete base over a waterproof plastic layer that's over a plywood layer. If the base isn't strong enough, then the tiles will crack.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2014, 09:02 AM   #62

When I prepared to redo my bath, I went to several of the DIY forums and searched for the particular subject I was interested in. No offense to anyone here, but that's really where you need to do your research; you'll get a much broader and in depth range of options and cautions than you do here from a bunch of retirees and wannabes! OTOH this is a pretty well intentioned group that I think you can trust.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:24 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
When I prepared to redo my bath, I went to several of the DIY forums and searched for the particular subject I was interested in. No offense to anyone here, but that's really where you need to do your research; you'll get a much broader and in depth range of options and cautions than you do here from a bunch of retirees and wannabes! OTOH this is a pretty well intentioned group that I think you can trust.
Understand. It started out with help in diagnosing a leak and has evolved! I'm a novice with this stuff and my husband doesn't do this kind of work. So my education has started from the ground up. Everyones comments have been most helpful! Including yours!
Old 02-03-2014, 11:01 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
If you haven't already, research and post at this tiling forum re bases and waterproofing.
Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile - Powered by vBulletin
Good suggestion.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:51 AM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Right, the drywall will wick up water at the base. I'd never use drywall or even green board under wetted tile, especially since cement board is relatively cheap.

Here is Nord's old post. I recall another , but couldn't find it.

Re-glazing shower tiles?
Here's the result, with photos:
Let's Talk About Whirlpool/Jacuzzi/Jet Air Tubs.

We went with greenboard but cement board could do the job too. The thinner plastic wall covering might pick up the cement board texture/pattern, though, so you'd want to make the substrate as smooth as possible before gluing on the plastic.

TheFed did a bathroom renovation with "RedGuard" waterproofing on cement board or drywall before putting on tile. That looks like a good idea too.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:52 PM   #66

Nords...what is that you have on the walls?
Thanks for the link! I printed both of them!

Anyone know anything or ever use Swanstone? Still investigating and researching. Saw a Swanstone shower today. Not cheap but at least there are no grout lines and can be made to fit the dimensions I need.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:42 PM   #67
Dryer sheet aficionado

Try youtube. I have had great success learning a couple plumbing tricks there
Old 02-15-2014, 11:48 AM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheehs1 View Post
Nords...what is that you have on the walls?
Thanks for the link! I printed both of them!
It's pretty much just a sheet of plastic. It's called "solid surface", and I know that's not very descriptive (let alone a brand name), but it's a lot like a 1/8"-thick laminate countertop.

ReBath Hawaii (which has shut down) used to carry a variety of 4'x8' sheets in their showroom. We ordered, they delivered, we cut them to size with a utility knife, and used construction adhesive to stick 'em to the wall.

Our rental property has Corian on the walls above its whirlpool tub. If we ever need to replace that tub someday, the Corian will be replaced by whatever version of solid surface is available. Or we'll yank out the tub and just tile the shower area with wheelchair-friendly travertine.

The cupboards on the right in the photo are surfaced in rigid thermofoil, which is waterproof. That's mostly seen in kitchen cabinets.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:28 PM   #69

Thanks Nords...this bath redo of mine is turning into a gut job for a layout change. Oddly enough what I want to do is the way the bath was design in the original drawings when it was built. What happened is I went into Ferguson...who oversized the tub and downsized the shower....22 years ago. Too young or naive to understand what that did to the overall layout. Biting the bullet to improve it.