Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Way to go FBI
Old 05-09-2007, 08:04 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
Unless they just don't have the money to buy weapons/ammo, there's not much need to rob a gun store when they can just buy what they want and not alert anyone. Most gun storess are fairly well locked up, crooks often have to drive into the building to get at the goods--witht he alarm blaring and cops enroute. And robbing most gun stores when they are open would be riskier than robbing a bank, or attacking Ft Dix.

These guys were definitely idiots, which is good for us. They wanted to get onto Ft Dix, then attack troops in Humvees? Why not shoot up a place where folks congregate? Or plant a bomb, kill a lot of infidels, and live to be a martyr another day?
I think you're right on several counts. I think the answer may not be that they are idiots but they don't read enough or watch enough TV to get ideas and how to plan. I'm about 80% serious with this idea. Think about it - if you ever watched CSI - you've learned about how not to leave evidence - 24 how to get materials; organize and how info is gathered about you; Law and Order - how the system works; TV news - how to get publisity.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2007, 08:17 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

They are most definitely illegal immigrants. I wonder what will happen to the illegal immigrant debate now. This has been the "big" fear - illegal terrorists. Well, here it is. The illegal immigration debate will no longer be confined to a discussion on the need for labor (because Americans will not perform certain types of work) but it will focus on terrorist who have gained entrance illegally.

I haven't heard the 2008 candidates, except McCain, discussing their policy on illegal immigration. I must have missed it.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:18 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeeyre
I haven't heard the 2008 candidates, except McCain, discussing their policy on illegal immigration. I must have missed it.
Tom Tancredo has spoken quite openly about his immigration plans, and about his dissatisfaction with Bush's ideas and with Democratic plans on the topic.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17153418/

Ha

Old 05-09-2007, 03:49 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

The question to all is how do we stop people from over-staying their visas??

Today even visitor's visas are almost at shut-down. The 60+ year old parents of an acquaintance on an H2 visa (computer network security engineer for a well known employer's European operations) cannot visit his son who is working in the US. Son, who is a 'key man', has great difficulty taking time off to travel to Romania to see his parents. There is nothing to indicate that these parents are a security risk.

Assuming that terrorism is our priority I see no proposals that effectively address this concern.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:23 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat
The question to all is how do we stop people from over-staying their visas??
There's no perfect answer of course, but one high payoff, low-cost approach is to levy heavy fines on businesses who employ aliens with no valid documentation or expired documentation. Also, schools who continue to enroll students who have overstayed their student visas (this could be accomplished by cutting off federal student aid dollars to schools who do not enforce these rules). Most illegal aliens are drawn here by a chance to earn more money than they can at home--when employment opportunities decrease, so will the number of illegal immigrants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janeeyre
This has been the "big" fear - illegal terrorists. Well, here it is. The illegal immigration debate will no longer be confined to a discussion on the need for labor (because Americans will not perform certain types of work) but it will focus on terrorist who have gained entrance illegally.
Just a minor note: There are probablly no jobs Americans won't do--just jobs they won't do for the present pay offered to illegal immigrants. Decreasing illegal immigration will increase pay for lower-skilled legal citizens/aliens. If an inustry can't compete on the world market with those labor costs, then we should consider a well supervised legal guest worker program.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:18 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

But many engaged in terrorist activities are working under the table or just hanging out while staying with friends or relatives.

One option would be to have visitors post a significant bond & health insurance through a company approved by INS. The insurer pays up big time if the visitor does not leave on time, and pays 1,000 x if the visitor committed a crime in the US. If the visitor cannot leave because they are unable to travel (in the hospital) then the bonding company is responsible for repatriating the visitor back to their home country as soon as they are able to travel.

Hey, someone is paying for these guys travel. If parents were having to post significant bonds at Lloyd's of London to visit the USA their kid would return home on time and do no damage.

I think if a visitor is here on a student visa the school has an obligation to notify the State Department if they are not enrolled under the terms of the visa. At that time the State Department can notify the bonding agency that the student visa will expire in X days, if there isn't proof the student has returned home by then bond called.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:15 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpi
Terrorist can't be this dumb! Must be a ploy to distract us. Better check Ft Knox to see if the gold is still there.
Yes. "Way to go FBI" These terrorists couldn't have got much more obvious if they'd tried. Even the FBI could stay one step ahead of this crew. As the articles states:

"A plot the FBI says was foiled when the men took a video of themselves firing assault weapons to a store to have the footage put onto a DVD. "

If this is all we're up against, we don't have too much to worry about. Unfortunately, I hardly think this is the case

Winnie

Old 05-09-2007, 09:47 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie
Yes. "Way to go FBI" These terrorists couldn't have got much more obvious if they'd tried. Even the FBI could stay one step ahead of this crew. As the articles states:

"A plot the FBI says was foiled when the men took a video of themselves firing assault weapons to a store to have the footage put onto a DVD. "

If this is all we're up against, we don't have too much to worry about. Unfortunately, I hardly think this is the case

Winnie

You seem like the type of person who complains if they do their job and complains if they didnt. Sure glad they did do their job this time :P

Old 05-09-2007, 09:56 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwsinron
The fact that they're trumpeting this kind of "success" indicates how little they have to show of real substance in terms of infilitrating terrorist plots or cells.

Still, it's nice to see that the general reading public hasn't set the FBI's bar too high either and is only too ready to jump up and down with idiotic zeal whenever they "leak" their little tidbits to the media.

winnie
Old 05-09-2007, 10:28 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yes Im full of idiotic zeal. Its a tough job but someone has to do it. :
Old 05-10-2007, 07:57 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets