Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-03-2011, 07:03 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I am leaving my current position where the rules state I have to give 90 days notice. I was coerced to stay for 5 months because we are shortstaffed. I'm very busy so there is no lame duck issue. They have not yet replaced me but that is what I expected. But based on the comments of a coworker this week it appears that my desire to move on is very evident to all.

Only 57 more sleeps.....
And what are the consequences if you fail to give them the 90 days notice?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2011, 07:17 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Some of the things my boss said in writing yesterday ... it will be that either I fired you or that you quit. Surely you see this."Impressive huh?
He reason real good. Graduate of Mongo School of Management, maybe?

This does sound like a keeper, though. Print, frame, and tack it up on the inside of the office door as a subtle reminder.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
And what are the consequences if you fail to give them the 90 days notice?

In my case, I gave them closer to a year's notice and didn't notice any immediate change in anyone's attitude. As The Date drew nearer, they took me off cases (criminal investigations) since I wouldn't be available for court.

The only increase in workload came from cleaning the office. Because of evidence storage security issues we did not have a cleaning service to vacuum carpets, empty trash cans, and the like so the protocol was that everyone took a turn for a week, even the supervisor.

Since I had nothing else to do for the last three months, that became my daily assignment, which took about 45 minutes, and without question I was the highest-paid janitor in that government. I thought it a bit of a lark.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:37 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

What will happen if you changed your mind and decided to retire in 2 weeks? Will they fire you?
Old 03-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I gave almost 4 months notice and let all my employees know. For a variety of reasons I felt a need to give my boss and my direct reports advance notice. I did not want to try to hide it from the rest of my employees and deny the inevitable rumors. I enjoyed those last 4 months because I no longer had to worry about the looming long term problems. In fact some of those mountains started looking like molehills when they were no longer something I had to climb
Same here. They tried to get me to stay a few more months - just wouldn't couldn't do it. I was able to take three months of leave in front of my official retirement date. Five years later the silly grin just keeps on grinning!
Old 03-03-2011, 08:25 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I gave three weeks notice . My Boss did not believe it and refused to deal with it . I finally said " I need a break I am getting burn out so I'll be gone either six months or forever " and it took her a year to realize I was serious and it was forever .
Old 03-03-2011, 09:31 PM   #27

I retired as part of a major "rightsizing" at Megacorp. My boss and many of my long-time coworkers left on the same day. Megacorp announced who was leaving and when we were leaving. I was ready to go and I received a decent severance package.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:19 AM   #28

I am a partner in my business and my leaving will create a hole in the workforce that will be tough to fill. When the last partner left, he gave us 3 months' notice and it was another 3 months' before we got anyone to help pick up the slack. That was a really bad 3 months and I swore I would never do that to my colleagues. *this was before I realized how burned out I could get and how desperate I am to get out.
Nevertheless, I would like to give my colleagues a year to plan and recruit a replacement, but I do fear that lame duck time could be difficult for many reasons.
I am not sure there is an ideal way to please all parties, my self included.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:10 AM   #29

I unfortunately have an employment contract that requires that I give 6 months notice to terminate the contract. And I intend to give 6 months notice before totally retiring. I may be down to 1 or 2 working days per week at that time, so the 6 month requirement is not a big deal to me. But they suggested that I have to find and fully train my replacement in the 6 month notice. I don't see that as being my responsibility. This could get ugly.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:43 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Midpack - I think I must be missing something here. From the reaction it sounds like you are a valued, key employee. The CEO is both surprised and upset that you are leaving and fearful that others will think a long time, top producer leaving "early" means something is up. I can understand him wanting you to make it public and stay around to reassure your peers that your reasons are benign. I can't remember from your earlier posts but is there a history here that makes you reluctant to do this? I can certainly understand if they have treated you poorly in the past that you would not want to extend them more than the minimal courtesies.
Old 03-04-2011, 09:45 AM   #31

When I started using my employee discount to buy a new stove, new sails, heavy weather jackets, and other offshore gear for our sailboat, it became very hard to conceal that I planned to quit work and go sailing for a while back in 2002.

Fortunately, I worked at a chandlery with at least 3 other employees there for the same reason (the discount). We were all treated with civility and helpfulness, and in my case, I got a job when I got back from the sailing trip thanks to one of my erswhile planning buddies who left a bit later than we did.

Whole different realm than Corp America, but I think you really have to focus on what is best for you and not what is best for the company in your situation.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:47 AM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

To say it yet again, The management has told you what THEY want.

But really, What do YOU want ?

Are you going to follow your path or theirs ?
Old 03-04-2011, 10:04 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Some of the things my boss said in writing yesterday:... If we announce you are retiring and then 3 weeks later you leave, it will be that either I fired you or that you quit. Surely you see this."...
This is my favorite--either you quit or got fired. Isn't that how most people leave a company (I put "getting laid off" in the "getting fired" category as it's an involuntary departure precipitated by the employer; retiring = quitting)? Other than passing away at your desk (I guess that would be quitting), how else are you going to leave--get abducted by aliens? Now that would be some good work gossip.

You don't seem at all like someone who is out to screw the company and leave them in the lurch--too bad the upper uppers don't realize that and treat you accordingly.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:07 AM   #34
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by urn2bfree View Post
I am a partner in my business and my leaving will create a hole in the workforce that will be tough to fill.
Don't count on it. It will be like a "hole in water".

Life will go on without you (yeah, been there, done that )...
Old 03-04-2011, 10:11 AM   #35

Midpack,
Do what's best for you. If the company wants to fire you, negotiate severance! It's more than what you would have left with.

Seriously, you are in a strong position here. This is worth a direct conversation with the final decision-maker. Unless you need the salary to make FIRE a go, you can part on good terms (yours or theirs).

-- Rita
Old 03-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
This is my favorite--either you quit or got fired. Isn't that how most people leave a company (I put "getting laid off" in the "getting fired" category as it's an involuntary departure precipitated by the employer; retiring = quitting)? Other than passing away at your desk (I guess that would be quitting), how else are you going to leave--get abducted by aliens? Now that would be some good work gossip.

You don't seem at all like someone who is out to screw the company and leave them in the lurch--too bad the upper uppers don't realize that and treat you accordingly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotadimple View Post
Midpack,
Do what's best for you. If the company wants to fire you, negotiate severance! It's more than what you would have left with.

Seriously, you are in a strong position here. This is worth a direct conversation with the final decision-maker. Unless you need the salary to make FIRE a go, you can part on good terms (yours or theirs).

-- Rita
I'm surprised everyone sees the CEO's "please, please, please" in such a negative light. They are not threatening MP with firing. Far from it. And they don't appear to think of him as "out to screw the company." It sounds like they see his departure as a significant loss and are afraid others will assume the worst since he is leaving early. I suppose that fear may arise from a company that has driven out good folks in the past and is worried that MP's departure may reinforce accurate employee perceptions. But it could just be a reaction to the surprise engendered by MP's (quite reasonable) decision to keep his ER aspirations to himself. Keep in mind, we often talk around here about how bosses and co-workers "just don't get it" about ER. They often are shocked when someone voluntarily jumps ship in the 50s or worse, in their 40s and assume "something must be wrong." That is why I asked MP if there is a history here that led him to react negatively to the CEO's request..
Old 03-04-2011, 10:40 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I gave my boss 3 months notice, and extended it to more than 6 months at his request. I also asked that we limit the number of people who were notified in advance, and further limit the broad announcement to 3-4 weeks before my departure.

Now 4 months away, yesterday he tells me he talked with our CEO and they insist on 3 months notice to all employees.
I would tell them I gave you 3 months notice and extended it to 6 per your request. Now 2 months later you tell me you are not going to honor my 3-4 weeks broad announcement. Well that voids the extension I agreed to and I am sticking to my original 3 months announcement and therefore will be leaving in 4 weeks. Handle the announcement anyway you want.

That's BS on their part.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:43 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I see this as an advantage for you. I do not see why you don't ask for a bonus to meet their conditions. Furthermore, if you announce early, you should find that folks will stop bringing you any work to do as they know you will just blow it off.

So get paid more to do less. What's wrong with that?
Old 03-04-2011, 10:50 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
I'm surprised everyone sees the CEO's "please, please, please" in such a negative light. They are not threatening MP with firing. Far from it. And they don't appear to think of him as "out to screw the company." It sounds like they see his departure as a significant loss and are afraid others will assume the worst since he is leaving early. I suppose that fear may arise from a company that has driven out good folks in the past and is worried that MP's departure may reinforce accurate employee perceptions. But it could just be a reaction to the surprise engendered by MP's (quite reasonable) decision to keep his ER aspirations to himself. Keep in mind, we often talk around here about how bosses and co-workers "just don't get it" about ER. They often are shocked when someone voluntarily jumps ship in the 50s or worse, in their 40s and assume "something must be wrong." That is why I asked MP if there is a history here that led him to react negatively to the CEO's request..
It sounds like Midpack is already giving tons of notice; the result is a patronizing memo "explaining" to him why he needs to give tons of notice.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:37 AM   #40

Interesting topic!

I sort of dread the day I put in my notice. I am the director of a nonprofit and I know that my coworkers will be mad, because they get upset every time I mention it. At our main office, we have the 5 of us who all have worked together for at least 20 years, and some of us for 27. None of them want my job, due to the stress and duties, but at the same time, they don't want a new boss coming in to the mix. Not to mention, it will surprise our board. I think they believe I will work until I'm 70 or so. But there is no way. I used to love my job, but the last 5 years or so have been incredibly stressful. We are working it out to retire in about 3 years at ages 63. I will probably give about 6 weeks notice, which is what they ask for in our policies for the director.